To celebrate the impending arrival of the brand new Xbox family of consoles, we’re giving Aussie gamers and internet sleuths the chance to be among the first to get their hands on the Xbox Series X when it lands later this year with a virtual treasure hunt.
This is a big day – the moment millions of gamers around the world have been waiting for. We know the wait for the next generation of Xbox consoles has been long and hard.
We’re looking forward to trying the Xbox Series X for ourselves, but we wanted to reward Aussie fans by giving you a jump on pre-orders – as long as you’ve got the puzzle-solving chops.
X Marks The Spot is exactly what it sounds like. We’ve hidden 10 Xbox Series X consoles in virtual locations around our corner of the ‘net for eagle-eyed fans to find, with a distinctive mark giving you a pretty good idea of what you’ve found. Each location has been picked for its significance to Telstra or Xbox, and the prize is worth the effort: the first eligible hunter who successfully finds one of the virtual locations using the clue to that virtual location will get their hands on the equivalent of an Xbox All Access package from Telstra, including an Xbox Series X console as well as a 24-month membership to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.
As gamers, you know how to approach complex and unconventional challenges and solve them as efficiently and effectively as possible. We all play in different ways though – a speed-runner might try to tackle the problem as fast as possible, but if you’ve played Portal then you understand the value of having a good hard think before you dive in. If gaming to you means a session of Candy Crush on your phone on the train to work, then you’ve got the right stuff too – put those logic skills to work.
We want you to use those tried and tested talents to track down the hidden consoles. This treasure hunt will end when all the consoles have been found, but we think we’ve put together some pretty hard clues, so it might even stretch until the end of the promotion period on 22 September at 12 midday (AEST). When you’re submitting your entry, we want to know two key things – which clue you’re responding to, and where (you think) you’ve found the answer. Copy and paste the website address (URL) of the page when you’ve found it, and let us know using the entry form below. Here’s a tip – if the URL doesn’t fit in the box, it’s not right.
Each location will be revealed as it’s unearthed, so you won’t be stuck looking where an Xbox console has already been found. If we think you need them, we might also drop additional clues in the coming days, so check back here regularly to find the latest updates. If that sounds up your alley, head down the page for the full list of locations and clues to get you started. Terms and conditions apply.
Update: Thanks for playing, everyone! We were blown away by the flood of entries (TBH, we thought our clues were pretty cryptic and that you’d be stumped for a week – more fool us).
All the unexpected ‘x’ locations have now been found, and the winners will be among the first to get the Xbox Series X from Telstra when it lands later this year. You may not be able to see all clues any more, as some of the words they were hidden in may have gone back to normal. You can see all the winners below.
Locations and Clues
1. Messy slurp without first rinsing gets us rewards
– FOUND HERE FIRST BY ALEXANDER, NORTH GOSFORD
2. The first awestruck, fierce legends before ten amateurs led to a different competition
– FOUND HERE FIRST BY MICHAELA, SOUTH YARRA
3. We’ve come a long way since Emily Valentine tied up her boots
– FOUND HERE FIRST BY BEN, FLETCHER
4. Running out of time to master Call Me Maybe on Just Dance (can’t explain why yet tho)
– FOUND HERE FIRST BY TODD, GEELONG
5. What is that place which cradles the iron, born of the forge. After tired and tried days on the battlefield? My axe rests here
– FOUND HERE FIRST BY TIM, WONTHAGGI
6. The dandy dropped 500 to shout us a writing tool, but he’s still a great boss among the birds
– FOUND HERE FIRST BY EMMA, AUSTRALIND
7. Learning to fly is hard, but we’ve been looking into it, and you’ll never hear us say you shouldn’t get involved
– FOUND HERE FIRST BY MATT, BALLARAT
8. Broccoli mixed with football to focus on the task at hand
– FOUND HERE FIRST BY ANDREW, LYNDHURST
9. Sounds like 100 takers in this seafaring game
– FOUND HERE FIRST BY DAMIEN, CARLISLE
10. Navigating initially north by north, a simple changing service
– FOUND HERE FIRST BY NATHAN, ST LEONARDS
Thanks, the competition is now closed!
Terms and conditions
The X Marks the Spot promotion opens on the 15th September 2020 at 10 am AEST and ends on 22nd September 2020 at 12 midday AEST. Entry is open to Australian residents other than the officers, employees or contractors of us or other companies associated with the promotion and their immediate families. Entrants under the age of 18 must have parent or guardian’s consent to enter. If an entrant under the age of 18 does not have their parent or guardian’s consent to enter, their entry may be invalid and that entrant may be disqualified. Winners will be notified by telephone and/or email during the promotion period once their entry has been determined to be a winning entry. Winners’ names may be published on our website and in social media channels at Telstra’s discretion. Full terms and conditions are available here. This is a game of skill and chance plays no part in the outcome.