You’re no doubt hearing a lot about energy right now.
For the first time in history Australia’s energy market operator has suspended the spot market in all regions of the national electricity market. And a number of Australian power companies are asking their customers to switch to another power company as wholesale energy prices rise.
When it comes to price, it is always important to check whether you are getting good value for money from your power company. This is now more important than ever, given that the market is going through a cycle of price rises and not all power companies are trying to win your business.
In contrast to the big power companies, Telstra Energy is at the very beginning of the journey. That means we can build something you actually want.
What is Telstra Energy?
It’s a little different to what you might be used to.
We know we have to provide good value (with no loyalty tax!) to get people interested. We also know we have to provide carbon neutral power at no extra cost and without the hassle of opting in. After all, power is one of those begrudging purchases we think about for 10 minutes a year on average.
Interested? We’ve recently opened expressions of interest to join us. By registering your interest you’ll be one of the first to know when we launch in your area.
Once we confirm you’re eligible, you’ll be guaranteed:
- You’ll be on the best plan, always (no loyalty tax!). We’re the only Australian energy retailer that has committed to never charging you a loyalty tax. We won’t rip off our loyal customers to entice new ones with cheaper deals. Because ultimately, it’s loyal customers who pay for these sorts of promotions. That’s just not OK.
- 100% carbon-neutral power. We’ll offset the carbon emissions from your energy use at no extra cost. This is not an add-on – you won’t need to check a box and pay extra to offset your emissions like you would for services with other providers.
- Points to put towards your bill. With Telstra Plus you’ll earn points just for paying a bill you were paying anyway. For every $1 you spend paying your bill, we’ll give you 10 points to redeem as discounts on devices and accessories.
- Tools to manage your energy consumption. Through our My Telstra app you’ll get data to manage your daily energy usage when you have a smart meter. You can see a mockup of what it might look like at the top of this piece. With our Clean Energy Tracker you’ll be able to see how much renewable energy is in the grid throughout the day so you can make informed decisions about your energy use.
- An Australian-based call centre team. We have a dedicated energy call service team to take your calls if that’s more convenient for you.
This is about more than just power bills
Just like other energy retailers, with Telstra Energy you’ll still receive a mix of fossil fuels and renewable energy to power your home. What sets us apart is our investments in renewable energy projects to feed more clean energy into the electricity grid.
We’ve committed around $900m to solar parks and wind farms since 2017 (we’re still going) and our current portfolio generates enough renewable energy to displace the coal-fired power consumption of about 150,000 homes. And we’ll continue to boost our investments in renewables and energy storage as Telstra Energy grows.
More renewables and energy storage in the Australian electricity grid means less reliance on coal-fired power!
Together, we can make a difference
Did you know that you can increase the amount of renewable energy you’re using by shifting the time at which you draw power from the grid? With our Electricity Shifting Challenge and Clean Energy Tracker, this is easier than you might think.
If enough Australian households shifted their energy usage in this way, together we could make a change.
Want to learn more about signing up to Telstra Energy? Express your interest today.