The new second generation Telstra TV: it’s a beautiful thing
Posted on October 23, 2017
4 min read
There’s never been more entertainment and ways to watch content available than there is right now, but with all of this incredible innovation – it’s become increasingly frustrating to find what you want to watch.
It can be a daily challenge – the seemingly endless task of scrolling through live and on-demand entertainment…and still being unable to find exactly what it is we want to watch.
In fact new research* has found that 69% of us have become so agitated by the process, we’ve ended up turning the TV off altogether.
But there’s something on the horizon that’s set to put these viewing dilemmas to bed.
On 31 October, the new Telstra TV will launch, making it enjoyable to find, discover and watch your favourite movies, TV shows, live sport and more. Plus watch free-to-air TV. All in one place.
The new Telstra TV builds on the success of its predecessor, which has become the fastest growing device in Australia, achieving over one million sales since its release in 2015.
Exclusive to Telstra Broadband Customers, key features of the new second generation Telstra TV include:
• Australia’s first integrated live TV, catch-up and on-demand search function – the only device in the country with the ability to search for specific titles across live TV, Foxtel Now, Big Pond Movies, free-to-air catch-up and major streaming services like Stan, Netflix and hayu. Once you have found what you’re looking for, the Telstra TV will deep-link you to the content.
• Blended free-to-air and on-demand viewing experience – with the introduction of a free-to-air tuner, the new Telstra TV provides an aggregated user interface, featuring everyone’s favourite TV shows and movies all in one place. The enhanced EPG provides an instant link from live TV to on-demand content at the touch of a button.
• Unique Australian content catalogue available nowhere else – combining five catch-up services (ABC iView, SBS On Demand, +7, 9NOW and Tenplay), plus Foxtel Now, BigPond Movies, Stan, Netflix and, from 31 October, hayu – and of course every free-to-air live channel.
• Premium app experience at home and on the go – the Telstra TV mobile app allows the user to search, discover and watch anytime, anywhere. Easily find the content you love, save it to watch later, create wish lists, and use it as a second remote control for your home device.
• Personalised content-led home screen – discover content from the home screen on both the new Telstra TV device and mobile app, without having to open individual apps. The device remembers your usage patterns and intuitively takes you back to what you were last watching.
• Options to add streaming services to your Telstra bill – bring together more of your entertainment expenses into one simple monthly payment with Foxtel Now and Netflix.
• hayu to join Telstra TV – hayu brings viewers more than 150 of the best, must-see reality shows on-demand, with the majority of U.S. shows debuting on the service the same day as their U.S. launch. This includes the global phenomenon Keeping Up With The Kardashians.
• Introduction of High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) – the new 4K HDR capable Roku Powered™ Telstra TV delivers a 4x higher resolution, compared to standard HD, when connected to a 4K HDR capable television. Streaming will become more efficient, reducing demands on the network and improving the viewing experience for consumers as more and more content is encoded in High Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC).
By uniting the three worlds of TV – free-to-air, pay TV and on-demand streaming – from 31 October we are set to liberate the way you experience TV at home, and on the go.
And this is just be beginning. As we continue our focus on becoming a world-class technology company that empowers people to connect, we will follow with product updates like personalised recommendations, voice activation and even more content partners.
Stay tuned (in).
*Nationally representative online survey of 1,187 Australians aged 18 and over, conducted on behalf of Telstra by Pure Profile in August 2017.
Te new Telstra TV Requires a compatible TV with a HDMI port. A minimum internet speed of 3.5mbps is recommended. Antenna required to access free to air channels in your area. Subscription and data charges apply. Search not available across all apps. Exclusive to Telstra Broadband Customers.