Telstra removes unlock fee for Apple iPhone for jet-setting Aussies
Posted on October 15, 2010
2 min read
Pre-Paid iPhone unlocking instructions:
Check and pay your iPhone unlocking fee by either calling 13 22 00 and saying ‘Prepaid’ or visiting a Telstra store.
To unlock your Post-Paid Apple iPhone from Telstra:
Step 1: Provide your Apple iPhone details to Telstra
A. When you call through it’s also best to have your phone’s IMEI number handy. This is normally on the box that your phone came in however if you’ve thrown it away or don’t have it, the easiest way to get it is by keying * # 0 6 # and then pressing the “call” button on your phone. This should then display a 15 digit number which is your IMEI.
B. Calling 13 22 00 and say ‘Prepaid’ or visit a Telstra store.
C. The Telstra consultant will take your details and pass them to Apple to complete the unlock. This process can take up to 72 hours.
Step 2: After 72 hours, connect your Apple iPhone to iTunes to finalise the unlock process
- Ensure you have the latest version of iTunes, you can find this within iTunes underiPhone > Summary tab
- Insert a non- Telstra SIM in your iPhone handset. If you do not insert a non-Telstra SIM, the unlock process will not work
- Back up your iPhone and ensure you check that all your applications and iTunes data are listed in the relevant sections in iTunes
- After you have backed up all your data, click on restore to factory settings which is also found within iTunes under iPhone > Summary tab
- On your iPhone download the latest version of iOS by going into Settings > General > Software update
- On iTunes within devices > iPhone, depending on the carrier you are switching to, you will see a message stating “Your iPhone has been unlocked” signalling your unlock is complete. Some carriers may not display this message.
- Reconnect your iPhone and sync with iTunes
Subscribe for the latest news