Telstra Gateway Pro – World class Wi-Fi for our business customers
Posted on March 15, 2016
3 min read
Fast, reliable and widely-available Wi-Fi is the lifeblood of a modern small business connecting laptops, tablets, IP phones, POS terminals and high-bandwidth applications like video calling.
This is why we’ve partnered with Netgear and Broadcom to create the Telstra Gateway Pro and pioneer a world’s first Gateway using Broadcom’s 4 x 4 Wi-Fi AC chipset for our business customers.
The Telstra Gateway Pro, is designed to keep more devices connected in your office at greater speeds than before.
What’s under the hood?
There are some clever new technologies in the Telstra Gateway Pro including:
- Seamless dual band connectivity of multiple devices on your network using 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
- Next-generation Wave 2 Wi-Fi 11 AC technology and MU-MIMO capability with 4×4 antennas
- A powerful dual-core 1GHz processor for efficient multi-tasking
And there’s a few ways this combination of technologies will deliver improved performance and make a difference to your office:
- Wi-Fi speeds are expected to be up to six times faster on 5 GHz than our existing business gateway
- Reliable connectivity so you can connect more compatible devices in your business at top speeds, simultaneously. Meaning someone can be streaming video and someone else can be downloading large files without slowing down the Wi-Fi.
- Wi-Fi coverage is also better than ever on this gateway meaning more people can access the top speeds in more places around the office.
How much better is the coverage?
We tested the Telstra Gateway Pro to see exactly what kind of coverage improvements you can expect in your business. In the heat maps below, the image on the left is coverage around a typical small office for our existing Telstra Premium Gateway the image on the right shows the increased coverage and performance achievable under the same conditions for a Telstra Gateway Pro.
Telstra Premium Gateway
What else is new?
With the Telstra Gateway Pro, we also worked with Netgear to create an appealing new design. It has a simple panel with fewer buttons on the front for ease of use and a high gloss black finish giving it a premium look and feel so you’ll be happy to display your gateway in your office.
It’s available now to our ADSL, VDSL, NBN and DOT customers and the timing couldn’t be better as millions of small businesses upgrade their broadband services and connect to the NBN.
To find out more about the Telstra Gateway Pro head to telstra.com/dot.
Testing was conducted in an inner city Melbourne location. Both the DEVG2020 and the 7610 Gateways were setup as default Telstra installs. Testing was conducted over an hour for each gateway at the times indicated. Multiple tests were conducted around the test location to measure both speed and coverage.
Actual Wi-Fi performance depends on many factors including interference, device type and distance between the gateway and devices. To enjoy fast speeds, AC compatible devices need to be on the 5GHz band.