The opportunities that new technologies bring hinge on access to fast, reliable and cost-effective data networks. Telstra’s networks continue to be among the best in the world, and provide us with significant strategic differentiation. Over the next three years FY17-FY19, we will consolidate this advantage by investing in our networks – delivering increased capacity and coverage, and unlocking the benefits that new technologies will bring.
New investments will go towards building the next generation of networks, with a focus on maintaining our differentiated mobile service, including preparation for 5G, and making strategic investments in our fixed network services. Internationally, we are focused on growing our enterprise services across the Asia-Pacific region and exploring future growth opportunities in Asia, where Telstra’s subsea cables already support the continent’s single largest data network.
Progress in FY17
- Telstra Air is Australia’s largest Wi-Fi network. In June, we switched on our millionth Telstra Air hotspot in Mildura, Victoria.
- Covering more than 1.4 million square kilometres of landmass, our 4G mobile network now covers 99 per cent of the Australian population.
- We are the first carrier in Australia to provide voice calling via 4G-only small cells and in November 2016 we also launched Wi-Fi Calling (VoWiFi).
- We have now added up to 40,000 square kilometres of new and improved mobile coverage through the Mobile Black Spot Program (MBSP) co-funded by the Federal, State and local governments.
- We formally closed our 2G network on 1 December, 2016.
- We conducted 5G radio testing at Ericsson’s 5G experience centre and continue to contribute to the development of international 5G industry standards.
- We also introduced world-first assured availability across the busy Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan triangle.