The health and safety of our employees, contractors and the community is of paramount importance to Telstra. Through our global health, safety and environment (HSE) management system, we embed the latest HSE strategies and processes in every element of our operations, in order to either eliminate or minimise risks and drive early intervention in injury management.
Our initiatives aim to build a high-performing HSE culture, where sharing insights and learnings are the norm. We encourage all employees and contractors to openly report HSE issues, incidents and hazards, and use data and analytics to help managers make sound decisions on corrective actions and controls.
Established HSE governance forums help manage progress against our HSE strategy, monitoring our performance through regular reporting to the Board, Audit and Risk Committee, executive leadership team and senior managers.
Progress in FY17
- Achieved a Lost Time Injury Frequency Rate of 0.84 for the 2016 calendar year.
- Achieved a Total Recordable Injury Frequency Rate of 8.1
- Our same day reporting rate increased to 82 per cent for FY17 compared to 77 per cent in FY16.
- On 1 July 2016 we launched an integrated HSE management system that is consistent across our global operations and embedded into operational practices.
- In FY17 we initiated face-to-face and online workshops globally for our ‘Thrive’ workplace resilience program, covering topics such as mindfulness, culture, self and team leadership and mental wellness.
- Our Return to Work program successfully saw 90 per cent of employees returning to work on pre-injury duties.
Detailed tables on our health and safety performance indicators are available through our Supplementary data pack