In the past week, devastating fires are have ripped through northern New South Wales damaging homes and infrastructure in areas including Rappville, Ewingar and Drake. Many homes were reduced to rubble, with horrible weather conditions wreaking havoc for emergency services.
My thoughts are with the many people who have lost their homes, and the communities that are still in shock over these unprecedented fires. We understand that now it is more important than ever to be able to reach out to friends and family, so if you are living in these communities, you may be eligible for assistance through our disaster relief package.
That means you can access free Telstra public payphones and Telstra Air payphone hotspots in the affected areas. Our customers may also be eligible for mobile phone credit and call diversion. These free and interim services will be for areas including; Drake, Tabulam, Ewingar, Busbys Flat, Wyan, Rappville, Ellangowan, Myrtle Creek, Bungawalbin and Jackadgery during the recovery period.
Customers who have had to evacuate or have lost their home are encouraged to call us on 132 203 to report a fault and register for the assistance package.
Our teams are working to restore impacted services as quickly as possible. In some cases, poor conditions are preventing us from reaching some areas but we will attend as soon as it’s safe to do so.
In the meantime, we will keep our customers and the wider community across impacts to Telstra services and continue to work closely with local councils to assist with the recovery effort.
Telstra’s relief packages can include the following:
Short term measures (for Telstra customers who have a short term impact – temporary evacuation of premises or temporary fault):
- Free use of Telstra public payphones in the affected areas
- Free use of Telstra Air payphone hotspots in the affected areas
- Free call diversion from an affected fixed home or business phone service to another fixed or mobile service of the customer’s choice, regardless of the carrier
- Customers who use the free call diversion to divert their affected fixed home or business phone to their Telstra mobile service, can also make local and STD® calls on their mobile at fixed line rates, in accordance with their selected plan (limited to one designated Telstra mobile per affected household or business)
- Affected Telstra mobile customers who do not have a Telstra home phone can receive a one-off credit to the value of $100 inc. GST (limited to one mobile phone per Telstra mobile account).
The above offers are applicable until network damage in the area due to fire is repaired, or while customers remain evacuated, for a maximum period of three months from the date of the fires.
Long term measures (for Telstra customers who have suffered severe damage to or loss of their premises):
- Free call diversion from the customer’s Telstra fixed phone service to another Australian fixed or mobile service of their choice, regardless of the carrier. This offer is applicable for a maximum period of 6 months from the date of the fire.
- In addition, Telstra will apply a one off credit to the value of $500 inc. GST to the customer’s Telstra fixed phone account to help cover the costs of the following, if required:
- Connection of a Telstra fixed phone service at one temporary residence
- Re-connection of a Telstra fixed phone service at the customer’s original permanent premises
In the meantime, we will keep our customers and the wider community across impacts to Telstra services and continue to work closely with emergency services and local councils to assist with the recovery effort.