The classic movie Home Alone sees a young Kevin McCallister – who’s been accidentally abandoned after his family left for the Christmas holidays – fending off burglary attempts by a pair of amateur crooks.
Kevin’s plight may be fictional (and hilarious), but the risk of festive robberies is neither of those things. With many Australians heading off for a festive getaway on or around Christmas Eve, real-life criminals attempt to make the most of all those empty homes. And the figures back it up. Stats from the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research show a massive spike in property offences on December 24th.
Then come the ‘what-ifs’. What if you left the iron on? What if you left the tap running? What if you forgot to shut the front door or a window? But fret not: these five new Telstra Smart Home®* products can help you stop worrying about your home over the holidays. They might not be as fun as watching Kevin terrorise his dim-witted foes, but they’re sure to get the job done.
1. Flood your home with light
Remove darkness, and you remove a crook’s most effective form of cover. This LED Outdoor Floodlight has a built-in motion detector, meaning it’ll turn itself on if it spots someone creeping around your front yard. Plus, you can set it to automatically turn on and off at certain times.
2. Don’t put a dampener on your holiday
Coming back to a flood is a sure-fire way to put a dampener on your holiday (pun intended). But this nifty little device can detect leaks as they happen and notify you via an alert on your smartphone before it’s too late; making it particularly handy if you have a temperamental sink or perpetually leaking pipe. It can also be set up to activate cameras or lighting where necessary.
3. The lights are on but nobody’s home
The Philips Hue lights can be automated to switch on at certain times of day to give the impression that you’re home, even if you’re thousands of miles away. Staying home for the holidays? Set up colourful festive lighting themes from the 16 million hues on offer!
4. Smarter smoke detection
The new Roost smart smoke alarm battery plugs into existing compatible smoke detectors and will notify you if they go off and when the battery is running low. You can also create automations with other devices in order to be alerted to hazards when you’re out and about.
5. “Ok Google, turn on the Christmas lights”
With Google Home Mini, you can control your compatible appliances using only your voice, so you can turn on your smart appliances – lights, thermostats - while your hands are busy wrapping presents. It’s a bit like your very own version of Kevin. Only smaller.
These 5 new devices are available in addition to the existing Telstra Smart Home range. Details available here.
* Devices will only work as described with an existing Telstra Smart Home® service. Telstra Smart Home requires a home broadband connection and home Wi-Fi network and must be activated via the free iOS or Android Telstra Smart Home App (data charges may apply). To record video and capture images from smart home cameras, you must set-up an automation through the Telstra Smart Home App. Stored videos are up to 15 seconds each. Videos and photos are stored for 30 days only and can be downloaded for permanent retention. Roost smoke alarm battery also requires activation via iOS/Android Roost app and Philips Hue Lighting requires activation via the iOS/Android Philips Hue app. Google Home Mini requires a compatible mobile device, a Google account and the Google Home app. Google, Google Home and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google Inc.