Queensland Floods update No 8 from Telstra
Posted on January 18, 2011
8 min read
From today Telstra Stores in flood-affected areas in Queensland will have additional mobile and fixed phone stock for customers who need to replace their mobile or fixed home phone handset (stores listed below).
Further assistance for Queensland small business (19/1/11)
Telstra and Microsoft, in conjunction with our partner Productiv, are pleased to offer a solution for businesses which have had their email server damaged or destroyed in the floods and need to get their email and collaboration services back online as soon as possible.
The offer is a complimentary subscription to the Microsoft Business Productivity Online Suite (BPOS) for any flood affected businesses, via our software as a service portal T-Suite, with implementation support offered at no cost by Queensland-based Microsoft Gold Partner, Productiv. The service must be ordered before 28 February 2011 and will be provided at no charge until 31 May 2011.
BPOS is a cloud-based business email and collaboration suite that includes Exchange email, calendaring, contact management, mobile email, file sharing, intranet, mobile collaboration, web meetings, office messaging, and other functions. It is securely hosted and maintained by Microsoft, with regular data back-ups and telephone and internet-based technical support. Most importantly BPOS is available from any internet connected (or mobile internet connected) location, which is especially important for businesses in regional locations, or who need their employees to have access to their email from home while damage to their business premises are repaired.
Businesses which have lost their email services due to the floods can apply for this offer by phoning 1800 TSUITE, contacting their Telstra Account Executive, or the team at Productiv on 1300 13 66 77.
There has been a further decline in the number of ‘red zones’ that are inaccessible to our technicians to 86, allowing our crews to repower and repair more network infrastructure.
Further progress has been made in the past 24 hours restoring fixed line, mobile, broadband and Foxtel services, and we can advise that the majority of services are likely to be restored over the next week in Brisbane and surrounding areas. It will be some weeks before all repairs are completed and all services restored. Demand on our resources is expected to grow as customers return to their homes and businesses, especially in the CBD.
We ask our customers to be patient during this time. To report a fault, customers should contact 13 22 03.
Tomorrow, 30 technicians will arrive from New Zealand to assist with repair work, bringing to approximately 230 the additional technical staff we have deployed in Queensland.
- Customers in the following areas may be experiencing issues with their home phone or broadband service: some areas of Brisbane – particularly along the Brisbane River, Ipswich, Lockyer Valley, Darling Downs, Sunshine Coast, Wide Bay and Capricornia areas.
- Customers in the following areas may be experiencing issues with their mobile service: Lowood, Ipswich, southern and western suburbs of Brisbane along the Brisbane River. Also, some areas of the CBD, Southbank and Kangaroo Point.
- We will focus on repairing services in and around Brisbane – particularly in the western suburbs, Ipswich, Lockyer Valley, Darling Downs, Sunshine Coast, Wide Bay and Capricornia areas. We are also moving additional staff into the Lockyer Valley as faults increase. We had already moved additional staff into these areas on the weekend.
Free calls from payphones:
Around 100 payphones have been switched to free local and STD calls for people without telecommunications to connect to their family and friends in areas including Bundaberg, Chinchilla, Dalby, Emerald, Parkhurst, Wowan, St George, Tent Hill, Ma Ma Creek, Maryborough, Gympie, Mackay, Condamine, Theodore, Brisbane evacuation centres, Gatton and Ipswich. Telstra is continuing to monitor the ongoing flood situation and will review payphones on the free list and add payphone sites as required
We can advise that all key exchanges have power, and that mobile phone towers are operating as per normal in flood affected areas.
We continue to monitor the network closely in these areas and will take measures, where necessary, to protect our exchanges and mobile sites.
Our exchange at Bridgewater has suffered some water damage and our technicians will complete repairs to this exchange today. Due to this damage there will be some customers in this area who will be experiencing issues with their landline and broadband (ADSL) services.
In addition, some customers in the Shires of Corangamite, Central Goldfields, Hepburn, Pyrenees, Northern Grampians, Campaspe, Loddon, Buloke, Yarriambiack, Gannawarra, Ballarat and Horsham may be experiencing issues with their landline and broadband (ADSL) services. The majority of these issues have been caused by flood damage to small road side cabinets and local cables. We will be undertaking network repairs as soon as we are able to gain safe access.
We are seeing fault levels rise in flood affected areas and we will be fixing these as quickly as possible.
We will be monitoring the network closely and working with emergency services to ensure that as flood waters move through the catchments that our network infrastructure is protected as much as possible.
Northern NSW update
We are monitoring the network closely in northern NSW. There are no significant impacts to Telstra’s network at this stage. There are a higher number of individual service faults than normal. We have extra technicans in the region and will be repairing services as quickly as we can.
The following Telstra Stores have additional mobile and fixed phone stock for customers that may need to replace their mobile or fixed home phone handset:
|Indooroopilly||Shop 3076 Level 3, Indooroopilly Shopping Ctr
318 Moggill Rd
Indooroopilly, QLD, 4068
|George St Metro||Shop B2, 275 George Street,Brisbane, QLD, 4000|
|Queen St (CBD)||152 Queen St Mall,Brisbane, QLD, 4000|
|Chermside||Shop 188 Westfield Chermside
Chermside, QLD, 4032
|Toowong||Shop GA21 Toowong Village Shopping Centre
9 Sherwood Rd
Toowong, QLD, 4066
|Mt Ommaney||Shop 6 Mt Ommaney Shopping Centre
171 Dandenong Rd
Mt Ommaney, QLD, 4074
|Rockhampton||Tenenacy E04 Stockland Rockhampton
87 Yaamba Road (corner of Bruce Hwy)
Rockhampton, QLD, 4701
|Gympie||5 River Road
Gympie, QLD, 4570
|Emerald||Shop 11 Centro Emerald Village
Hospital Road and Curt St
Emerald, QLD, 4720
|Toowoomba||Shop GC108 Grand Central Shopping Centre
Toowoomba, QLD, 4350
|Ipswich||Shop 32 Riverlink Shopping Centre
Ipswich, QLD, 4305
1 Collingwood Drive
Redbank, QLD, 4301
Clifford Gardens Shopping World
Shop 57, Cnr Anzac and James Street
Toowoomba QLD 4350
|Dalby (satellite)||Shop 27 Dalby Shopping World
17-67 Cunningham St
Dalby, QLD, 4405
|Bundaberg||Shop 416 Sugarland Shopping Centre
Bundaberg, QLD, 4670
|Bundaberg||Shop 15 Hinkler Central Shopping Centre, 16 Maryborough Street
Bundaberg, QLD, 4670
|Maryborough||Shop 2B/138 Lennox Street
Maryborough, QLD, 4650
Important Telstra contact numbers:
For customers who have any questions, would like support, or would like to report a fault, please contact:
Telstra Business Customers: 13 29 99
Telstra Enterprise and Government Customers: 1800 815 851
For residential faults, please contact: 13 22 03
- Flood update no 6 from Telstra
- Telstra technology tips for flood affected areas
- Telstra assistance package for NSW customers affected by flood waters and storms
- Update to Telstra assistance package for Queensland customers affected by floodwaters and storms
- Telstra will contribute up to one million dollars to the Queensland Premier’s Flood Relief Appeal
- Dial before you dig
- Offer available until 28 February 2011 for Queensland-based businesses directly affected by the January 2011 floods. Determination of eligibility is at the sole discretion of Telstra and Productiv. Eligible businesses will receive a 20 seat Microsoft Business Productivity Online Suite subscription at no charge until 31 May 2011. The applicant may choose to purchase the service after this date (standard fees will apply, see telstra.com/t-suite). Applicants must provide an ABN and a credit card or valid Telstra Bill (which will not be charged unless the subscription is purchased). System requirements and standard service terms and conditions apply: see telstra.com/t-suite.
- Eligible businesses will receive implementation services from Productiv, limited to the order and initial configuration of the BPOS service including order management, DNS and MX record changes, user administration and assistance with user access via Outlook Web Access. Applicants must provide access to the DNS/MX record administration system console or access to support. Charges may apply for additional technical services requested by the applicant.
- Offer not available to businesses with an existing Microsoft Online Service subscription.
- Internet service is required to use BPOS, and internet usage fees may apply.
- Telstra and its partners will consider extending the offer to individual businesses beyond February 28th if they are unable to take it up by this date due to broadband connectivity not being available to them by then as a result of the floods.