Providing bushfire relief to our customers affected in New South Wales
Posted on December 5, 2019
4 min read
As bushfires continue to burn across New South Wales, we know our residential and small business customers are doing it tough. We’re here to help with an assistance package available for those affected.
Updated – Thursday 5th December 2019: We have announced an assistance package for residential and small business customers in New South Wales who have lost services due to fire in the below areas.
Customers impacted by the Currowan Fire in the Eurobodalla & Shoalhaven areas: Currowan, Depot Beach, Durras North, East Lynne, Flat Rock, Pebbly Beach,South Durras,Termeil, Bawley Point, Kioloa and Pretty Beach.
Customers impacted by the North Black Range Fire in the Queanbeyan Palerang area: Bombay, Little Bombay and Majors Creek.
Please read on to understand the relief packages available to you if you are in these areas.
Monday 11th November 2019: An assistance package is available for NSW customers who have lost service in the following areas:
Bellangry; Bowraville; Burrell Creek; Comara; Coopernook; Coraki; Doon Doon; Elands; Emmaville; Failford; Fernhill; Forster; Glen Innes; Glenreagh; Hallidays Point; Harrington; Huonbrook; Jackadgery; Koorainghat; Laurieton; Macksville; Marlee; Moorland; Newton Boyd; Nimbin; Nymboida; Old Bar; Port Macquarie; Rappville; Red Range; Rollands Plains; Southbank; Taree; Taylors Arm; The Channon; Tingha; Tinonee; Toorooka; Toronto; Torrington; Wandsworth; Wherrol Flat; Yarras, and Yarrowitch.
We understand how important it is to reach out to friends and family during times of crisis, and we want to do all we can to help our customers. The assistance package provides customers with access to free and interim services during the recovery period, in addition to providing the wider community with free calls and free Telstra Air Wi-Fi through local payphones.
A number of Telstra services have also been affected and our teams are working to restore them as quickly as possible. In some cases, adverse conditions are preventing us from reaching some areas but we will attend as soon as it’s safe to do so.
Customers who have had to evacuate their home or have lost their home are encouraged to call us 132 203 (then enter their full home phone number including area code when prompted) to report a fault and register for the assistance package.
Telstra’s relief packages can include the following:
Short term measures (for Telstra customers who have a short term impact – temporary evacuation of premises or temporary fault):
- Free use of Telstra public payphones in the affected areas
- Free use of Telstra Air payphone hotspots in the affected areas
- Free call diversion from an affected fixed home or business phone service to another fixed or mobile service of the customer’s choice, regardless of the carrier
- Customers who use the free call diversion to divert their affected fixed home or business phone to their Telstra mobile service can also make local and STD® calls on their mobile at fixed-line rates, in accordance with their selected plan (limited to one designated Telstra mobile per affected household or business)
- Affected Telstra mobile customers who do not have a Telstra home phone can receive a one-off credit to the value of $100 inc. GST (limited to one mobile phone per Telstra mobile account).
The above offers are applicable until network damage in the area due to fire is repaired, or while customers remain evacuated, for a maximum period of three months from the date of the fires.
Long term measures (for Telstra customers who have suffered severe damage to or loss of their premises):
- Free call diversion from the customer’s Telstra fixed phone service to another Australian fixed or mobile service of their choice, regardless of the carrier. This offer is applicable for a maximum period of 6 months from the date of the fire.
- In addition, Telstra will apply a one-off credit to the value of $500 inc. GST to the customer’s Telstra fixed phone account to help cover the costs of the following, if required:
- Connection of a Telstra fixed phone service at one temporary residence
- Re-connection of a Telstra fixed phone service at the customer’s original permanent premises
Please remember to stay safe and listen to warnings from authorities.