Hard to believe its been a year since I wrote about the Leukaemia Foundation World’s Greatest Shave.
Even harder for those who are going to have to look at my shaved head!
“The Shave” is on again 11 – 13 March, 2010.
You can help those with leukaemia and other blood cancers in a fun, but meaningful way.
Telstra staff around the country are joining over 100,000 people to colour, shave or wax their hair to raise funds for the Leukaemia Foundation.
Since 2002, Telstra staff have raised in excess of $290,000 through the generosity of customers, suppliers, fellow staff member, friends and family.
Why do we do it?
Its fun – and its very serious.
The money raised provides information and resources, education and support programmes, practical assistance, “home away from home” accommodation and transport for patients, all FREE OF CHARGE. The Leukaemia Foundation also funds critical research into these diseases to find better treatments and cures for the future.
- $55 pays for one car to transport a patient to and from treatment centres for one day
- $100 provides a family with a fully furnished “home away from home” near a treatment centre for one night
- $250 provides access for a patient and their family to attend a disease-specific education and support programme
Some basic facts:
- Around 30,000 Australians are currently living with leukaemias, lymphomas, myeloma and blood related disorders.
- Every day, around 25 Australians are diagnosed with these diseases, and every two hours, someone loses their life to blood cancer
- Leukaemia is the most common form of childhood cancer, however it mostly develops in adults
- In the past 20 years, the number of people affected by lymphoma has doubled and there is no known reason
- These diseases can affect anyone, at any age, at any time
- Often treatment starts immediately after diagnosis
So why am I telling you this? Well, I’d like you to join me and get involved!
Along with many Telstra colleagues, I will be shaving my head. This is the 9th year I have participated, and am proud to say that I have been able to raise over $100,000 for the Foundation during this time.
This year I have set myself another benchmark $10,000 target. Currently I am about 70% there between actual and pledged donations.
Having a close friend diagnosed with leukaemia during the past 12 months has given me an extra incentive to assist in finding a cure.
How can you get involved?
- You can decide to shave, colour or wax, or
- You can sponsor someone who is.
Shave / Colour / Wax:
Step 1. Decide if you want to shave, colour or wax (let me tell you waxing hurts!)
Step 2. Chose whether you are going to do it alone or with a group of friends
Step 3. Decide where you are going to do it – at work or at one of the public events
Step 4. Collect sponsorship
Step 5. Be Brave and Shave
Step 6. Pay in the money you raise
If you know someone or a team participating in the Shave, you can sponsor them online. Donations over $2 are tax deductible.
Website: www.worldsgreatestshave.com.au and click on “sponsor a shaver”.
Alternatively, you can sponsor me by here: Michael Lewis Sponsorship page
Registration made easy:
You can register online at: www.worldsgreatestshave.com.au
Looking for a team to join to give you that extra bit of courage?
You are welcome to join one of the Telstra teams – again just go to www.worldsgreatestshave.com.au and click on “Join a Team”
Let’s make 2010 the year Telstra Exchange readers, Telstra staff and friends make a difference to the lives of those affected by leukaemia.
If you are unable to attend, but would like to make a tax deductible donation, please donate via Michael Lewis Sponsorship page.