Tasmania’s current bushfire season has been brutal, destroying nearly 200,000 hectares of land across the state and damaging much-loved local icons like the Tahune Airwalk. We’re ready to lend a hand to any of our customers impacted by the fires.
We know how important it is to reach out to friends and family in difficult times, and we want to do whatever we can to help our customers connect. Our assistance package for residential and small business customers impacted by the Tasmanian bushfires gives them access to free and interim services during the recovery period.
In addition to providing our customers with a range of ways to access those interim services, we are making it easier for all Tasmanians affected by the bushfires by enabling free use of Telstra public payphones in fire-affected areas.
We have a package in place for short-term affected customers like those who have had to temporarily evacuate their premises, or those who have a temporary fault on their service due to bushfire activity:
- Free use of Telstra public payphones in the affected area.
- Free call diversion from an affected fixed home or business phone service to another fixed or mobile service of the customer’s choice, regardless of the carrier.
- Customers who use the free call diversion to divert their affected fixed home or business phone to their Telstra mobile service, can also make local and STD® calls on their mobile at fixed line rates, in accordance with their selected plan (limited to one designated Telstra mobile per affected household or business).
The above offers are applicable until network damage in the area due to bushfires is repaired, or while customers remain evacuated, for a maximum period of three months from the date of the bushfires.
If you’re one of our mobile customers without a Telstra fixed home phone service, you will be eligible for a one-off credit to the value of $100 inc. GST (limited to one mobile phone per Telstra mobile account).
For our customers who have suffered severe damage to or the loss of their premises, we have an assistance package that offers long-term support and the ability to move a fixed phone service to a temporary alternate address:
- Cancellation of a Telstra fixed phone service at the affected address, with number reservation for up to 12 months from the date of the bushfires.
- Free call diversion from the customer’s Telstra fixed phone service to another Australian fixed or mobile service of their choice, regardless of the carrier. This offer is applicable for a maximum period of 6 months from the date of the bushfires.
- Customers who use the free call diversion service to divert their affected Telstra fixed phone service to their Telstra mobile service, can also make local and STD® calls from that mobile service at fixed line rates, in accordance with their selected plan (limited to one designated Telstra mobile diversion per affected Telstra fixed phone account).
In addition, Telstra will apply a one off credit to the value of $500 inc. GST to the customer’s Telstra fixed phone account to help cover the costs of the following, if required:
- Connection of a Telstra fixed phone service at one temporary residence.
- Re-connection of a Telstra fixed phone service at the customer’s original permanent premises.
For Telstra residential and small business customers who do not wish to retain their broadband service at an affected address:
- Disconnection of the affected broadband service without the requirement to pay any applicable early termination charges or fees, as well as an email address reservation for up to 12 months from the date of the bushfire.
- Connection of a broadband service at an alternate residential or business address without any connection charges within a 12 month period beginning from the date of the bushfire.
For Telstra residential and small business customers who wish to retain their broadband service at a temporary alternate address, Telstra will apply a one off credit to the value of $110 inc. GST to the customer’s account to help cover the costs of the following:
- Move of a broadband service to a temporary alternate address.
- Move of a broadband service back to the customer’s original address.
- For existing Telstra Mobile Broadband residential and small business customers – free replacement of the modem or USB device if required.
If you have had to evacuate your home, or if you have lost your home, call us whenever you’re able on 132 203 (then enter your full home phone including area code when prompted) to report a fault. From there, you’ll be able to register for the assistance package.
Our hearts go out to those impacted by this natural disaster, and we give our thanks to the incredible hard work of the Tasmania Fire Service and those volunteers who are committed to controlling the fires in any capacity that they are able to give.