We’re bringing footy back! Well, sort of. To roll into the new way of doing things, we’re proud to present the new Australian Dice Football League, featuring players from every AFL club and hosted by comedian Andy Lee.
Introducing the Australian Dice Football League
That’s right: grab your scarves and warm up a meat pie, because we’re bringing competitive play between footballers back to your screen in self-isolation. And with this game, you’ve got the home ground advantage.
It’s a stay-at-home substitute for the winter season, mirroring the fixtures that would have taken place between rounds 8-11 of the 2020 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.
The first round of the Telstra Australian Dice Football League will see a 2019 Semi-Final rematch roll-off between GWS’ Stephen Coniglio against Collingwood’s Brodie Grundy.
And to top it off, presenter Andy Lee will bring in special guests to give predictions on all the action and round up the games.
The game follows the familiar format of a footy match:
- Two opponents roll two dice each quarter;
- The first roll determines the goals (6 points per goal), and the second roll the behinds (one point per behind).
For example, when Patrick Dangerfield rolls a four and a two, that would be four goals and two behinds, a total of twenty-six points for Geelong Cats for the quarter.
With footy on hold we wanted to find a fun and entertaining way to engage football fans in order to give them something to watch, and hopefully do while everyone is at home helping to flatten the curve.
We hope that it not only introduces a new pastime to families’ routines at home, but it also gives football fans the chance to see their favourite players in a more relaxed and personal environment whilst showing how proud Telstra is to be involved with the AFL and sport in Australia.
We hope the ADFL will be embraced by fans who have enjoyed the partnership between Telstra and the AFL since 2002, helping deliver digital experiences to fans through afl.com.au, the official AFL apps, player and team performance through the Telstra Tracker, as well as streaming every game live through the Telstra Live Pass.
Round One Fixtures
Here’s who will face off to determine the inaugural Telstra Australian Dice Football League champ:
- North Melbourne’s Ben Brown vs Hawthorn’s James Sicily
- St Kilda’s Seb Ross vs Carlton’s Eddie Betts
- Brisbane’s Lachie Neale vs Richmond’s Jack Riewoldt
- Geelong’s Joel Selwood vs Essendon’s Dyson Heppell
- Western Bulldogs’s Easton Wood vs Gold Coast’s Lachie Weller
- West Coast’s Josh Kennedy vs Sydney’s Josh Kennedy
- Adelaide’s Fischer McAsey vs Fremantle’s David Mundy
- Melbourne’s Christian Petracca vs Port Adelaide’s Ollie Connor Rozee
- GWS’ Stephen Coniglio vs Collingwood’s Brodie Grundy