If you’re looking for advice on how to configure or troubleshoot your Telstra fixed line modem – including the BigPond Premium ADSL Home Network Gateway – head to our Telstra Crowdsupport modem forum.
Around Australia connected homes are taking shape. We’ve moved from an era where we huddle around a single home PC to access the net to a sophisticated environment where the internet is available to all members of the family across a fast-growing range of screens and devices in many rooms.
It’s an environment where the internet is no longer tethered to one location — it now moves with us around the home thanks to Wi-Fi enabled tablets, smartphones, gaming devices, smart TVs and laptops.
This means information and entertainment is increasingly available on-demand around the home.
Consider the following:
- The number of Telstra customers using fast ADSL 2+ connections more than doubled in 2011 while the number of consumer customers using fast cable connections almost tripled.
- In the year to June 2011, the volume of data consumed over the average BigPond fixed internet connections more than doubled.
Faster internet speeds and larger data allowances are important enablers to creating connected homes and these figures show just how rapidly our customers are moving to adopt them.
Another important enabler to building a connected home is technology that gets home devices talking to one another. A home where you can share digital content seamlessly among devices is a home that’s truly connected.
To help Telstra customers create their own connected homes and share content around the home, we’ve launched a new ADSL 2+ home network gateway – a device that acts as an ADSL 2+ modem and a Wi-Fi access point.
The new BigPond Premium ADSL Home Network Gateway comes with the latest N-standard Wi-Fi connectivity which provides better in-home wireless coverage at faster speeds. This means our customers can more reliably share the internet around the home at the same time.
Importantly, BigPond Premium Home Network Gateway is DLNA Certified®. DLNA is a technology standard that allows you to send content to DLNA-enabled devices such as home theatre receivers, smart TVs and games consoles.
A USB slot in the back of the home gateway allows you to plug in a memory stick or shared storage drive. Then, thanks to DLNA, you can share your photos, music and video easily to devices around your home network.
For example, say you’ve just returned from a holiday to Europe. You want to share your holiday snaps with the family. You can save your photos to a USB hard drive (or in tech speak a network attached storage device) and connect it to the Premium Home Network Gateway. Now, using the gateway’s in-built DLNA support, you can access these photos on your DLNA-enabled TV.
Similarly, you can store your music collection on an attached storage device and share it with your home DLNA enabled Wi-Fi. It’s a neat way to get content around the home wirelessly.
The BigPond Premium Home Network Gateway also comes with three ethernet ports. This means you can connect up multiple devices such as T-Box®, PCs, MACs, laptops, smart TV’s and game consoles using fixed cables or network extenders.
There’s also a green mode that reduces power consumption by efficiently managing the Wi-Fi network.
Thankfully, there’s no need to be a technical expert when setting up the gateway. Simply run the Telstra installation CD to get your internet connection going. Wi-Fi connections can be added by using WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Set Up) where you can simply push the WPS soft switch (located at the back of the gateway) then push the WPS button on your WPS capable device to add gadgets to your home Wi-Fi network. This means you won’t need to enter in long serial numbers any more.
Availability and pricing
The self install BigPond Premium ADSL Home Network Gateway is now available for RRP $48 from Telstra Stores, or for just $2 a month for 24 months when you take up the BigPond Broadband Offer.
- Supports ADSL/ADSL2+ connections
- Improved Wi-Fi 802.11 n (2 receive x 2 transmit) – Backward compatible to 802.11 b/g
- One 10/100/1000 BASE-T (Gigabit) Ethernet LAN port to provide wired connectivity
- Three 10/100 BASE-T (Fast Ethernet) LAN ports to provide wired connectivity
- Hybrid WPA & WPA2 capability – supporting secure Wi-Fi connections for new and older Wi-Fi devices.
- Wireless Protected Setup (WPS), including a push-button switch to activate WPS for simplified and secure wireless setup.
- Two USB 2.0 port master ports (Type A connector) connects to a USB port on USB storage device, printers & 3G USB dongles.
- IPv6 ready – Gateway will be able to migrate onto the IPv6 environment.