Celebrating NAIDOC Week 2013
Posted on July 10, 2013
3 min read
NAIDOC Week 2013 is here, and what a week it is! NAIDOC is a special celebration of Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander culture and communities, a time when we come together to recognise the contributions and achievements of Indigenous Australians right across our country.
At Telstra, we’ve kicked off the week by re-branding our home page with the beautiful artwork from our Reconciliation Action Plan. The interactive artwork tells a story of connection, celebration and action via a centrepiece ‘bull-roarer’, a traditional device used to call people from far and wide to join the celebration.
I don’t have a bull-roarer, so this blog will have to do the trick of calling out to connect with you, and share Telstra’s ongoing commitment to connect with Indigenous Australians.
Recently the Telstra Foundation announced a $5 million grant to the National Centre of Indigenous Excellence (NCIE) to develop a National Digital Excellence Strategy. The strategy will help create a new generation of digitally savvy Indigenous learners, leaders and entrepreneurs so Indigenous people throughout Australia can thrive in the online world. This forms part of Telstra’s Everyone Connected program, to help ensure everyone has the opportunity to make the most of opportunities new technology offers.
Here are some ways you can get involved:
- You can find out more and contribute your own ideas at the Indigenous Digital Excellence Agenda (IDEA) website;
- Read NCIE CEO Jason Glanville’s blog about the recent ‘ideas generating summit’ that gathered together 40 young digitally savvy Indigenous leaders who came up with five key ideas; and,
- Read Telstra CEO David Thodey’s blog about why he believes the Indigenous Digital Excellence Agenda is such a great idea.
Telstra’s Indigenous careers website is an exciting place to find out more about employment at Telstra, follow the career journeys of our Indigenous Employment Ambassadors and find details of upcoming community events. This week on Friday 12th July we’ll be at the NAIDOC Family and Sports Day at the National Centre of Indigenous Excellence in Redfern, Sydney. Everyone is invited to come along and join in the fun and celebrations.
You can also find out more by reading our second Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP), which outlines our ongoing commitment to reconciliation in Australia through our customers, communities and employees. The RAP details Telstra’s actions to:
- provide affordable, innovative and accessible products and services that improve the lives of our Indigenous customers;
- invest in, support and create opportunities for Indigenous communities with our information and communication technologies; and,
- improve our recruitment and retention of Indigenous employees.
Get involved in Recognise, the people’s movement focussed on fixing the historical exclusion of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples from Australia’s Constitution. I’m delighted to be personally involved in my role on the Expert Panel and now on the Reference Group contributing to this important historical issue. All Australians are invited to visit the website and have their say.
However you do it, I hope you manage to get involved and enjoy celebrating NAIDOC Week 2013. For more information on NAIDOC Week please visit their website.