As we transform our business through our T22 strategy, we have not lost sight of the bigger picture – or our responsibility for managing our environmental and social impacts.
Through our Sustainability strategy, we continually look for opportunities to make a difference through responsible business, digital inclusion and environmental solutions. We seek to help our customers and society adapt to technological change and the opportunities it brings.
Our annual sustainability assessment showed us which topics matter more than ever, and that the breadth of issues which our customers, partners and stakeholders expect us to address has never been greater.
Our Bigger Picture report provides a detailed overview of the work we’ve undertaken in the past, and that we commit to undertake in the years ahead across our business, to better enable everyone to thrive in a digital world.
This past year, Australia’s public, consumers and shareholders alike, have publicly reminded large companies of the value they place on being transparent, ethical and accountable. We know how important investing in the sustainable future of our organisation is, not just for the health of our business but for our people as well.
At Telstra, we are committed to our values and behaviours, particularly in this time of significant organisational and societal change. We take seriously our duty to operate our business responsibly and strive to maintain a strong values-based culture. Highlights in FY19 include:
- Investing over $30 million in employee learning and development
- Achieving a six-point increase in our Episode Net Promoter Score
- Mandatory compliance training completed by 98.3% of employees
As digital technologies play an increasingly central role in our lives, there remains a significant gap between those who are connected and those who are not.
In FY19 we focused on consolidating the gains made over recent years to increase digital inclusion and ensure our new suite of products and services enhances this. Highlights include:
- Helping around one million vulnerable customers to stay connected
- Building out Australia’s first commercial 5G network in 10 cities
- Training nearly 36,000 people through our digital capability programs
We are committed to managing our environmental impacts and helping our customers and communities to do the same. We accept our responsibility to help facilitate low-carbon growth, to minimise our emissions, and to improve community resilience to a changing climate. Highlights in FY18 include:
- Investing $4.7 million in improving the energy efficiency of our facilities
- Reducing our carbon emissions intensity (tCO2e/petabyte) by 40% from our FY17 baseline
- Collecting 2,986 tonnes of e-waste, with a recycling rate of 99.97%
We’re proud of our progress, but we don’t intend to rest on our laurels. We’re committed to being a responsible business by connecting others while strengthening our own sustainability at the same time. I hope you find this year’s report helpful and instructive, and welcome your feedback on our approach and performance.