A bumper year ahead for live mobile sports streaming
Posted on February 10, 2017
4 min read
It’s set to be a landmark year for live mobile sports streaming in Australia. The combination of Australia’s passion for live sport and new, world-class technology built into the apps is expected to revolutionise the customer experience.
From today all eligible Telstra mobile customers will be able to stream it live, fast and data free with the new Telstra AFL, NRL and Netball Live passes. All sports fans will also have access to all three apps which are available now for download through the App Store and Google Play store.
Telstra’s mobile apps will be bigger and better in 2017 with innovative new upgrades that will make it simpler than ever to watch the live game and stay informed from the side-line, the dinner table or out and about.
We have partnered with each code and worked with sport app experts from around the globe to create a more intelligent and informed live experience. For AFL fans in particular, this will mean a level of sophistication only seen in big league sports such as NFL and football in Europe.
We have listened and worked directly with the fans from each code to ensure the upgraded AFL, NRL and Netball apps provide features that make using the app simple and easy. This includes live vision, enhanced stats and insights such as Bunker Decisions that allow fans to be the experts.
Only Telstra partners with the premier Australian sporting codes to bring customers a world class live mobile viewing experience, over Australia’s largest and most reliable mobile network. We’re excited for a bumper year of sport in 2017.
A taste of what’s new in 2017:
AFL Live app (iOS & Android):
- Integration of Women’s AFL content and ability to watch live stream of women’s matches.
- New personalisation allowing fans to get targeted news and updates that speaks directly to them.
- New Matches section allowing fans to view fixtures, live scores, results and filter by round, team and venue.
- Ability to watch live stream full screen on mobile, in situ or pop-out player (which allows fans to watch in minimised player as they browse the app.
Enhanced player profiles with additional graphs and career stats, player related videos and articles.
AFL Club apps (iOS & Android):
- 18 new club apps
- Each club app has been built to provide the ability for clubs to tailor their approach to engaging their fans and members via their own mobile apps.
- The apps leverage worlds’ best practice garnered from teams in leagues such as the NFL and NBA and provide fans with access to membership and ticketing, club branded digital keepsakes, behind the scenes content and commercial partner activations.
NRL Official Live app (iOS & Android):
- Integration of Bunker decisions for each match in match centre allowing fans to understand the rationale of each decision during and after the game
- More intelligent viewing with the draw, player stats and related article widgets to integrate into news articles.
- Fans also have the option to download one or more of the 16 club apps on iOS or Android to keep up with all the latest from their favourite teams.
Netball Live app (iOS & Android):
- Every match, every round, live through the Netball Live app
- Customised content feeds per team
- User controlled push notifications for match scores
- Telstra Thanks integration
New Telstra TV Netball app:
- 2 live matches each round broadcast in HD exclusive to the Telstra TV on a big screen
- Interactive view displaying match statistics during the live matches
- Customised ‘hide scores’ feature so that you won’t receive spoilers if you’ve missed a live game.
- All match replays in HD, highlights and news
- League leading stats, fixture details and ladders
Subscribe for the latest news