Telstra removes unlock fee for Apple iPhone for jet-setting Aussies
Pre-Paid iPhone unlocking instructions:
Check and pay your iPhone unlocking fee by either calling our Pre-Paid Unlocking Centre or visiting a Telstra store. Instructions are found online.
You will then be transferred to the iPhone Unlocking Centre who will submit the unlock request for your iPhone, after verifying the unlocking fee has been paid.
To unlock your Post-Paid Apple iPhone from Telstra:
Step 1: Provide your Apple iPhone details to Telstra
A. Before contacting Telstra, write down the IMEI and Serial Number for your iPhone. To locate these details, tap Settings > General > About
B. Call 13 2200 and say “Unlock” when asked why you’re calling.
C. The Telstra consultant will take your details and pass them to Apple to complete the unlock. This process can take up to 72 hours.
Step 2: After 72 hours, connect your Apple iPhone to iTunes to finalise the unlock process
- Ensure you have the latest version of iTunes, you can find this within iTunes underiPhone > Summary tab
- Insert a non- Telstra SIM in your iPhone handset. If you do not insert a non-Telstra SIM, the unlock process will not work
- Back up your iPhone and ensure you check that all your applications and iTunes data are listed in the relevant sections in iTunes
- After you have backed up all your data, click on restore to factory settings which is also found within iTunes under iPhone > Summary tab
- On your iPhone download the latest version of iOS by going into Settings > General > Software update
- On iTunes within devices > iPhone, depending on the carrier you are switching to, you will see a message stating ”Your iPhone has been unlocked” signalling your unlock is complete. Some carriers may not display this message.
- Reconnect your iPhone and sync with iTunes