Who wants a slice of the Mango?
Last week we were really pleased to announce that partnering closely with Microsoft meant we could start rolling out the Windows Phone 7.5 OS update, codenamed Mango. And what an update it is!
Windows Phone 7.5 is the first major release since Windows Phone 7 launched less than a year ago. Mango offers hundreds of new features and experiences designed to build on the phone’s intuitive, “people-first” foundation – multitasking, more integrated apps, primo mobile web browsing, and powerful and personalized tools, like integrated social networking and conversation threads, for connecting with the people in our lives.
Many people have already advised that they have got the update but it is a gradual roll out so you just need to keep an eye on your device which will advise you when the update is ready to download.
Microsoft will gradually ramp up delivery so that the update will be broadly available to most existing Windows Phone customers by the end of October.
With such a feature packed update it is pretty hard to cover them all in a blog post so here are some of our top picks that will come to you, free of charge of course, with the Mango update.
- Threads: Switch between text, Facebook chat, and Windows Live Messenger within the same conversation.
- Groups: Group friends, family, co-workers into personalized Live Tiles to see the latest status updates right from the start screen and quickly send a text, email or IM to the whole group.
- Deeper social network integration: In addition to Facebook and Windows Live, Twitter and LinkedIn feeds are now integrated into contact cards, and Mango includes built-in Facebook check-ins and new face detection software that makes it easier to quickly tag photos and post to the Internet.
- Linked Inbox: See multiple email accounts in one linked inbox. Mail is organized by conversations to make it easy to stay on top of the latest mail.
- Hands-free messaging: Built-in voice-to-text and text-to-voice support enables hands-free texting or chatting.
- App Connect: By further integrating apps into Windows Phone Hubs, including Music + Video and Pictures, Mango allows apps to pop up when you need them.
- Improved Live Tiles: Get real-time information from apps without having to open them by pinning them to the Start screen. Live Tiles can now be more interactive.
- Multitasking: Quickly switch between apps in use and allow apps to run in the background while preserving battery life and performance.
- Internet Explorer 9: The power of a PC-browser plus support for HTML5 and full hardware acceleration graphics. This means you can quickly and easily share web pages with Social Networks directly from within the browser. No copy and paste required.
- Local Scout: Provides hyper-local search results and recommends nearby restaurants, shopping and activities in an easy- to-use guide.
- Bing Vision: Gives you quick results based on product images and barcodes, QR codes and MS Tags.
- Quick Cards: When searching for a product, movie, event or place see a quick summary of relevant information, including related apps.
The Mango update can be downloaded for free by synchronising your phone with Microsoft’s Zune software on a PC. Microsoft will make it available to customers progressively over the coming weeks.
So what is your favourite thing about the update? Leave me a comment below.