26 Feb 2014
By Andrew Volard
Feb
2014

Samsung GALAXY S5 coming to Telstra

Samsung-GALAXY-S5_hero

Samsung have announced their GALAXY S5 at the World Mobile Congress in Barcelona.

I tuned into the event and was pretty impressed with what I saw.

The GALAXY S5 is slightly larger than the GALAXY S4 with a 5.1-inch HD screen. It also comes with an IP67 rating, meaning it is both water and dust resistant, great news for those people who expose their mobile to the elements. Like its predecessors the GALAXY S5 memory is expandable with a microSD, offering customers complete memory flexibility.

A key feature of the GALAXY S5 for Telstra customers is the 4G and Cat-4 LTE capability. Telstra customers will be able to experience fast web browsing and downloading on this device by using our 4G network, which is currently four times larger than any other Australian mobile network.

Other key features of the GALAXY S5 include:

• A 16 megapixel rear camera with features such as selective focus and sped-up autofocus, meaning customers can take better quality photos
  • A fingerprint scanner built into the home button for added security. Users can also teach the phone to recognise different fingerprints if the phone is being shared with multiple people
  • A significantly better battery, which will last about 20% longer than the GALAXY S4. The GALAXY S5 also has an ultra power-saving mode, which cuts down the phone’s functions to the bare essentials allowing the battery to last longer

My favourite feature on the device is the built-in heart-rate monitor. As we look for better ways to stay fit and healthy this is a first for a smartphone and a really interesting feature.

Samsung GALAXY S5 specs

For those of us out there who are interested in the technical specifications, there is some great news.

The GALAXY S5 comes with 2GB of RAM, a QUALCOMM 2.5GHz quad-core processor and 2800mAh battery.

The screen a 5.1-inch Full HD SuperAMOLED with a resolution of 1920×1080. The GALAXY S5 will run on Android 4.4 Kit Kat with Samsung Touchwiz.

Wearable accessories

In addition to offering the GALAXY S5, we will be offering the Samsung Gear Fit, Samsung Gear 2 and Samsung Gear 2 Neo.

These devices will cater for Australia’s growing appetite for wearable technology and the increasing popularity of fitness apps and technology.

The Gear Fit is water and dust resistant, features a built-in heart rate monitor and pedometer to help track fitness levels during workouts and throughout the day. It has a curved AMOLED display keeps customers connected with emails, texts, and incoming calls when paired with the GALAXY S5 over Bluetooth.

The Gear 2 is a premium smart watch with a metallic body featuring a 1.63-inch Super AMOLED screen that displays incoming calls, texts, emails notifications. It has a built-in camera that can take HD pictures and short videos.

The Samsung Gear 2 Neo is a lighter, sports-oriented smart watch that can be paired with a Bluetooth headset (sold separately) to stream music while owners are on the go or working out. It’s available in black, orange and grey from select stores. Both devices come with a heart rate monitor and pedometer and are water and dust resistant.

Pricing and availability

Samsung GALAXY S5

Pre-order for the Samsung GALAXY S5 will be available from 9am 27 March 2014.

Consumer customers can purchase Samsung GALAXY S5 for $12 per month when they stay connected for 24 months on the $70 Mobile Accelerate with $700 worth of standard national calls and MMS plus unlimited text messaging to standard Australian numbers (excluding use overseas) and 1.5GB of data for use in Australia. Min cost over 24 months is $1,968 ($82 per month over 24 months). Two-minute standard call $2.38, excess data usage $0.03/MB.

Business customers can purchase Samsung GALAXY S5 for $2 per month when they stay connected for 24 months on the $80 Business Performance Plan with a with $800 worth of standard national calls and MMS plus unlimited text messaging to standard Australian numbers (excluding use overseas) and 1.5GB of data for use in Australia. Min cost over 24 months is $1,968 ($82 per month over 24 months). Two-minute standard call $2.38, excess data usage $0.10/MB.

The Samsung GALAXY S5 will also be available outright in select Telstra stores from 11 April for $912.

Samsung Gear Fit

The Samsung Gear Fit will be available to customers for $10 per month over 24 months when connected to an eligible mobile plan (min cost over 24-moths $240).

The Samsung Gear Fit will also be available outright in select Telstra stores from 11 April for $249.

Samsung GALAXY Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo

The Samsung GALAXY Gear 2 will be available from select Telstra stores for $369.

The Samsung GALAXY Gear 2 Neo will be available from select Telstra stores for $249.

Editors note: This blog was updated on 26 March 2014 with pricing and availability.

1. Gregory Opera says:

Any word on the Sony Xperia Z2?

If you know that the new Samsung is coming already, surely you’d know if the Xperia Z2 is coming or not…

2. Bob H says:

Note that the max sd card capacity is now 128GB!
    Will you be getting the 32GB model rather than the 16Gb model, since only about 8GB of memory will be available after allowing for both Android system and Samsung TouchWiz. Doesn’t leave much room for added apps

• Greg says:

yes im hoping for 32gb model too…coz 16gb suck on the S4…great ph but couldve done with more internal memory for applications etc.

3. Rachael says:

Hey guys the register your interest link is not working, is there somewhere else I can register my interest?

4. Riley says:

Jamie, any more info regarding prices etc? The release date is April 11th internationally; will Telstra have them available then? Thanks.

5. Ben says:

Would i be able to upgrade to this and stay on my current plan. (paying $60 a month)

• Hi Ben, you will have to take up one of the associated plans for pre-order, but call through and talk to a friendly consultant who may be able to chat through repayment options specifically. :)

6. Hayden says:

Will it be available for outright purchase?

7. Carole says:

Do you still need to pre-order the samsung galaxy s5 if you go on the $70 contract for 24 months??

8. Nathan says:

Will the gear fit pair with the galaxy S4?

9. Kirsten says:

Any news on the next iphone?

10. Andy says:

Waterproof and dust proof like the S4 active? Or are we to expect a harder wearing version down the track? Save my phone from the 2 under 5 y.o’s.

11. josh says:

Will the gear 2 and gear 2 neo be available via a plan or only outright?

12. yvpnne says:

Will the s5 be available on the $55 plan? If so how much phone repayments?

13. Josh says:

Will this phone receive a “Blue Tick” for reception?

• Hello Josh, We expect the GS5 to be Blue Tick, however nothing has been confirmed yet. We’ll let you know as soon as we know more.

Update 8 April: the S5 has been given the Blue Tick of approval! :)

14. Amanda says:

How much is pre order when you are going for the $82 plan ?

15. Pat says:

Any ETA for color copper?

16. Glenn says:

Hey guys, how do I register do purchase the phone outright? The website only gives me the option to register on a 24 month contract.
    Thanks!

17. Allan says:

Hi so will telstra be offering a free booster for there poor reception or us it still a extra plan on top????

18. Josh says:

So I went to a Telstra store to order an S5 and Gear Fit. They say they “can’t pre-order the S5 in-store yet. Do it online.”

So I go online and can’t find the Gear Fit option. So I chat with a rep, Harvey. He says he hasn’t been told about the Gear Fit so I send him the link to this page. He says “I can see the link, however it’s haven’t clarify to us yet.” He says I have to wait until the sales people get updated to order the phone.

Awesome.

• Hi Josh,

I’m so sorry for the confusion! Unfortunately while you can pre-order the S5 online, the Gear Fit isn’t available as a pre-sale item. You will be able to pick it up in-store once it is launched on the 11th April.

I hope this helps clarify!

Thanks,
      Jamie

19. CJ says:

The outline states “The Samsung Gear Fit will be available to customers for $10 per month over 24 months when connected to an eligible mobile plan (min cost over 24-months $240)”

Jamie states “Unfortunately while you can pre-order the S5 online, the Gear Fit isn’t available as a pre-sale item. You will be able to pick it up in-store once it is launched on the 11th April.”

So I take it that if I want to get the Gear Fit for a monthly fee added to an eligible mobile plan then I have to get my S5 in store after April 11 and I can’t pre order my S5 ???

20. Shannon says:

Hi Jamie,

Can you please confirm if the blue S5 will be available in store from the 11th April considering online pre orders may not ship for another 14 days after launch?

21. Katrina says:

Look like it will be a pretty good phone.

22. Tia says:

Will Telstra be bringing in the Samsung S5 32GB model ? :)

23. Will says:

Will the April 11 release mean it will be shipped on that date or delivered then? Is it possible to pick it up in store so I don’t have to wait until early next week? Finally :) I think I saw the blue version might be delivered later any word on that? Thanks!

24. Matt says:

Hi I would like to know if i preorder do i still go into a shop to pick it up or can I just go into a telstra shop on april 11th and get one on a plan?

25. Vanessa says:

Hi I’ve pre ordered my g5 blue how long will I have to wait for telstra to deliver

26. Glenn says:

For all those who were told that you could purchase an S5 outright in store on launch day, that’s not the case according to my local store. Outright purchase is not happening instore until one month after launch date! My local store told me to go to JB-Hifi, who are selling outright for $897, cheaper than Telstra and other carriers.

27. Will says:

I haven’t recieved any email telling me that my phone on pre order has been sent. Should I be expecting one?

28. Casey says:

Will it be possible to get an S5 and a Gear 2 on MRO? Or will the Gear 2 only be offered outright?
    Would be a nice upsell opportunity for you guys
    Thanks

29. Rajan says:

I have s4 i need to exchange what is the procedure

30. Chezza says:

I am awaiting patiently for a call from my local Telstra store to tell me my blue version samsung 5s has arrived. Any word when this may be available. It is killing me having to wait.

31. steve says:

When will the Galaxy s5 active be available to telstra customers?