07 Jan 2014
By Andrew Volard
Jan
2014

The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact announced at CES

Xperia-Z1-Compact_hero

It’s that time of year again – one of my favourites – the Consumer Electronics Show in sunny Las Vegas.

It really is an inspiring event for tech-heads like me and the more I see, the more eager I am to get home and hit the ground running to bring the most innovative and exciting products to our customers.

There have already been some big stories out of this year’s CES – none more so than Sony’s announcement of the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact smartphone. And in great news, Telstra will be the first to bring this 4G-compatible handset to Australian customers this April.

Our customers have absolutely lapped up the Sony Xperia Z and Z1, and after trialling the compact version at CES, I’m sure they’ll be just as impressed by this new version which comes in white, black and pink.

The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact in white, black and pink

The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact offers all the features of the Xperia Z1, just in a smaller, stylish handset, which fits nicely in your pocket.

It’s waterproof (up to 1.5 metres of freshwater for 30 minutes), dust-resistant, it has the same incredibly sharp 20.7MP camera and a crystal clear 4.3 inch screen.

The most impressive thing about this handset for me is that there is no change in the technology from the larger Z1 – as Sony says, it’s compact without compromise.

And with the Telstra Mobile Network now providing 4G coverage to 85 per cent of the Australian population, customers will be able to connect with the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact faster in more places.

11/03/2014: Pricing and availability update

The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact will be available in Telstra stores from Tuesday, 18 March 2014 and online pre-orders are now open. Customers pre-ordering the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact will also receive a bonus gift of a Sony wireless headset valued at $199.95. Pre-order customer can also enter into a competition to win tickets to the much anticipated 2014 FIFA World Cup, as a guest of Sony Mobile.

Consumer customers can purchase the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact on the $70 Mobile Accelerate Plan for 24 months, with $700 worth of included calls and MMS, unlimited SMS and 1.5GB of data, all to standard Australian numbers (and excluding use overseas) each month. Min cost over 24 months is $1,680 and 2 minute standard call is $2.38, excess data $0.03/MB.

Business customers can purchase the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact on $60 Business Performance Plan with a $3 per month handset repayment for 24 months when you stay connected for 24 months, with $600 worth of included calls and MMS, unlimited SMS and 1GB of data, all to standard Australian numbers (excludes use overseas) each month. Min cost $1,512 ($63/mth) and 2 minute standard call is $2.38, excess data $0.03/MB.

The Telstra Mobile Network offers 4G in all capital CBDs and associated airports, many surrounding suburban areas and in over 100 regional areas. You’ll automatically switch to our fastest available 3G in other coverage areas around Australia. Check coverage at telstra.com/coverage. Typical download speeds of between 2Mbps and 50Mbps are available to 4G devices in 4G areas. Outside 4G areas, you will switch to our fastest available 3G speeds. Speeds vary for reasons like location, distance from base stations, terrain, user numbers, hardware/software configuration, download source and upload destination.

1. pdf says:

WTF. Why on earth is this not being released until April when the rest of the world gets it next month?

• Christopher says:

Hear hear!

Telstra, do not wait 4 months to release this handset. Please, we beg of you.

If you wait 4 months the offerings from HTC & Samsung, which are yet to be announced, at MWC in february will wipe the floor with any sales of this device. This would make any exclusivity you’ve garnered with Sony to be moot.

• Chad says:

Come on Telstra! The time to release is Feb while there is still hype about it.

• Georgia says:

The Z1 Compact is currently in Telstra testing for Blue Tick and other standards.

• Victoria says:

Re: Blue tick phones
      Does Telstra have a full list of phones they have tested that come into this category? I can only find a few mentions on the website of blue tick capability and only for phones Telstra sells.

• Hello! The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact will actually be available in Telstra stores from Tuesday, 18 March 2014. But if you can’t wait, online pre-orders are now open! Thanks, Jamie.

• Chad says:

Awesome news Jamie! 2 Sony Xperia Z1 Compacts now preordered.

Jamil on Telstra 24/7 chat was very helpful. While he couldn’t complete the preorder for me he was very helpful guiding me through which plan is best for me and how best to fill out the preorder form. I cannot more highly recommend using Telstra 24/7 chat when you need customer assistance. I always get the best customer service experience from it.

2. David says:

Would love to see this in Telstra stores come February, Christopher was spot on with his comment. As someone who works in a Telstra Licensed Store I’d love the opportunity to see and sell something new before the big releases come out as well as pick one up for myself!

3. DT says:

It’s a great little handset but if it’s going to be launched in April it will get swallowed up by the new handsets getting launched at MWC. Why is it taking so long to get this into stores?

4. Gregory Opera says:

I imagine this will have some appeal – historically, “compact” phones of any type have done well for themselves… But I personally will be waiting for the Xperia Z2.

5. Tom says:

Agree with the others!! WHAT’S GOING ON TESTRA! YOU GET EXCLUSIVE AND THEN GIVE NOTHING BACK TO SONY. Wasted sales and bad timing if you wait!!!

6. Tim M says:

I want to get this handset from you but can’t wait till April! I’ve been eligible for another handset on my plan since June and have waited for a good all rounder (you guys don’t have the LG G2 or Moto X – my other options) and if this really isn’t coming till April I’ll go prepaid and get the handset outright elsewhere.
    Come on Telstra – strike while the iron is hot – get this phone out the door and into our loving arms!

7. kunals says:

Hi Telstra should get it when its being offered around the world at the same time. Try to capture the market before htc and samsung comes with their new device while you can. Else ppl would prefer to go for brands which has larger market share. And am not a fan of apple but if u ppl make it late i may just switch to it as am looking for a small powerful phone after the s2 n iphone 5s does sound good, but am an android lover so waiting for sony z1 compact. hurry up telstra.

8. Brent Elston says:

Come on Telstra people want the xperia z1 compact now.
    Show loyal telsta customers that you do listen & bring it out in Feb 2014

9. Brent Elston says:

What is the latest news on release date for xperia z1 compact

10. Walter says:

Eagerly waiting on the Z1 compact from Telstra as I have been having ongoing issues with my Xperia P. They are available for purchase in Australia now from other suppliers

• kunals says:

Hi Walter,
      So ur saying Z1 compact is now available in Aus? Could u pls provide info as to where in Brisbane i can get it. Telstra is taking so much time to get it in market. I would like to get the handset n stick with optus only if Telstra introduces only in April/may.
      Thanks

• Walter [Telstra Staff] says:

It unfortunatly apears that way when you google the Z1 compact in Australia. Whether or not they are grey imports is another matter, but the companies selling them seem to be authentic.

• Hi Walter, Online pre-orders are now open and come with a free Sony wireless headset valued at $199.95.

11. Walter says:

I am looking forward to this and hope it resolves my problems

12. Phil says:

How come I cant pre-order an outright phone. Pre order so far is for contract only.

13. David says:

Excited to see the Sony in-store, I think it’s a great phone and I love that it’s $0 extra on the $70 Mobile Accelerate plan.

I do have one question though, will it be coming onto the friends of telstra (staff) plan any time soon?

14. Walter says:

I think it was supposed to have been on the staff plan already. Looks like there will be a wait until it is updated. Last update was 18th Feb

15. Gina Holroyd says:

Still no “news” of blue tick for regional areas. Does this mean it failed the tests and I should purchase windows 5c or Samsung “?” compact instead of Sony?

16. Walter says:

It is definitely a blue tick phone, they are displayed with it at the Telstra shops, even though strangely enough not on the Telstra website