08 Jul 2013
By Andrew Volard
Jul
2013

Nokia Lumia 925: Slimmer, tougher and superior picture quality

Filed under: , , , ,

Nokia-Lumia-920_hero
The Nokia Lumia 925 is now available online.

With the Australian launch of the Nokia Lumia 925 announced today, it’s fair to say that phones have come a long way since the year 2000 when the Nokia 3310 was launched and Aussies became addicted to Snake and excited by monotone ringtones.

The Nokia Lumia 925 – which features a metal body for improved robustness and a slimmer build than its predecessor, the Nokia Lumia 920 – will be available at Telstra stores and online from Tuesday 30 July.

Along with its improved aesthetics, we’re also seeing a jump in camera quality from Nokia with this handset incorporating the new Nokia Smart Camera mode which takes up to 10 shots at once making that action shot and perfect angle easy to capture.

The Nokia Lumia 925It’s then easy to edit, animate and enhance the series of photos using the Best Shot and Motion Focus features. You can then upload or email your picture on the Telstra Mobile Network, which is faster in more places, with 4G coverage available in more than 100 metro and regional locations.

The 925 works amazingly well in lowlight conditions, while the Gorilla Glass coated AMOLED display  makes for awesome clarity and a screen that’s easier to see in the sunlight.

Running on the Windows Phone 8 (WP8) platform, the handset supports Microsoft Exchange accounts and comes preloaded with a Microsoft Office Mobile suite including Word Mobile, PowerPoint Mobile, Excel Mobile and OneNote Mobile.

When it comes to mobile phones, giving our customers as much choice as possible is important to us here at Telstra and we’re looking forward to adding the Lumia 925 to Telstra’s growing range of WP8 phones.

Register your expression of interest to stay informed about the Lumia 925 and upcoming Nokia devices.

Pricing and availability

The Nokia Lumia 925 will be available in Telstra Stores and online from Tuesday 30 July 2013.

Consumer customers can purchase the Nokia Lumia 925 from Tuesday 30 July 2013 on a $60 Every Day ConnectTM plan with a $6 handset repayment per month for 24 months (after using their MRO bonus), with $600 worth of included calls and MMS, unlimited SMS and 1GB of data, all to standard Australian numbers (excludes use overseas) each month. Minimum cost is $1584 ($66/month) and 2 minute standard call is $2.38, excess data $0.10/MB.

Telstra Business customers will be able to take up the Nokia Lumia 925 on the $60/mth Business Performance Plan with a $6 handset repayment per month for 24 months (after using their MRO bonus) with $600 worth of included calls and MMS, unlimited SMS and 1GB of data, all to standard Australian numbers (excludes use overseas) each month. Minimum cost is $1584 ($66/month) and 2 minute standard call is $2.38, excess data $0.10/MB.

Customers can also purchase the Nokia Lumia 925 outright for $624.

The Telstra Mobile Network offers 4G service in all capital CBDs, associated airports & selected regional locations & automatically switches to our fastest available 3G service in other coverage areas around Australia. Go to telstra.com/coverage to check coverage in your area.

Editors note: post updated on 10 July, 2013 to include mention of our online sales

1. mark says:

Is this the 32gb version?

2. Sim says:

I wish Telstra would start billing as Vodafone is about to and they have done so in the USA and UK for years, this is by providing the consumer with a block of minutes of calls included per month with your plan, this makes it very easy to compare all providers, instead of providing $600 worth of “monopoly money” dollars worth of calls, it means nothing when calls charges are excessive now to make the included $$ looks generous.

• Nick says:

>I wish Telstra would start billing as Vodafone is about to and they have done so in the USA

Except for the part where USA carriers deduct your minutes for incoming calls, not just outgoing calls.

However I agree the “monopoly money” phone plans are annoying. But, consumers like them due to the perceived value. I am on an old plan, I pay $30 per month for $30 of “value” however my calls are MUCH cheaper per minute so last time I checked I could make more call minutes than a newer plan with hundreds of dollars of “value”. (However I dont think there are any $30 plans available now with Telstra, the cheapest seems to be $50)

3. Alli says:

Is it expandible memory?
    and will the phone be blue ticked?

4. Sim says:

Can this device be pre ordered yet?

• Az [Telstra Community Manager] says:

Hi Sim,
      You’re in the right place to find out. We will update the post with information as we know.

You can also signup via the link in the blog post to be kept up to date as information becomes available.
      Az

5. Nick says:

What colours will be available when the phone is released on the 30th July?

6. Sim says:

It’s only around a week away from launch with Telstra isn’t it? Still not pre order?

• Az [Telstra Community Manager] says:

Hi Sim,
      Sorry -- won’t be any pre-orders on this phone, but not long to wait now!
      Az

7. iwan says:

Az, why only the black???! That’s very disappointing, the white looks great and Optus are already taking orders for it!

8. iwan says:

Vodafone IS getting the 32gb!

32gb is coming to Australia. Doesn’t move me from Telstra but pls tell the truth.

9. Em says:

I just discovered this page by fluke. I was really frustrated because no information was available on the Windows Phone page, where normal customers go to find out what is happening.

I talked to the Sales/Marketing on the phone to see why Telstra doesn’t say anything about the best Windows phone, and arguably the best smartphone on the market in this category. They told me that “legally Telstra cannot provide any information”. This is the least helpful, to say the least, response ever.

Later, Telstra indicated on Twitter that we could find information on this page.

I am at a loss to understand why Telstra is not able to be responsive to the public. I love Telstra, it has a brilliant network, but the customer service can drop sometimes in situations like this and make you wonder.

And by the way: why only black?????

Beyond the frustration of the moment, the lack of interest of Telstra in the Lumia line, makes me think that it may be about following an official strategy, which is to stick with what sells NOW, not what could sell well in the future or what the public may be interested in. This is avoiding innovation in preference to the current status quo. It makes it easier for the Sales Management du jour to reach its targets today. It would be sad if that is what Telstra is about.

• Sim says:

Hi Em,

Yes of course that is what Telstra is about, and any telco for that matter, it’s about sales today, that is important for the company and importantly share holders, it’s smart business.
      Don’t get me wrong, I love Windows Phone, and I want to buy this phone, I also like Telstra but I’m gonna have to go with Vodafone as 16GB just isn’t enough storage for a ‘high end’ device like this for me.
      As for the colours, this is all to do with exclusivity arrangements with Nokia and the Telco, they have done this all over the world, the UK is where this has happened in exactly the same manner.

Telstra advised they will only be selling the 16GB version, they weren’t fibbing :)

10. Em says:

Hi Sam,

it would be naïve not to see that companies need to sell. But I don’t think it is smart to focus on what sells today and ignore new products that arrive on the market. This is what my complaint is about. The information that Andrew Volard put on this page is exciting -- it is exactly what I have in mind when I think of buying the Nokia phone. The lack of awareness of the sales people is a bit shocking, both on the shopping floor and on the phone (this is my own experience).

The surprise is even bigger when you have high expectations: Telstra’s network and customer service is the best, based on my own experience -- so you expect high standards.

The argument that I would be only one of the few wanting this product is not that convincing. Lumia 925 is praised as one of the best phones on the global market (including this blog). Even if the number of people wanting to buy this phone is small (for now) since this is a top product, Telstra should make it as easy as possible for customers to buy it. In UK Lumia tripled its market share -- who knows maybe this could happen here too. As of now, it is as if an effort is made to prevent that from happening. IMHO this is not smart business.

If it is true Telstra doesn’t sell the silver version, I have to weigh my options. I am not bitter, but I like to buy what I like to buy, when possible. I understand exactly your dilemma!

BTW -- great blog post, Mr Andrew Volard. Could someone add this to the Facebook for increased awareness. I will bookmark this and revisit.

• Sim says:

You are more worried about the colour of the back panel on the back of Lumia 925, than having 32GB of storage?