28 Feb 2013
By Monty Hamilton
Feb
2013

Telstra partners with PayPal for bill payments

paypal-header

If you’re anything like me, PayPal plays an important role in your online experience – whether I’m selling a few unwanted goodies on eBay or sponsoring an entrepreneur on Kiva – it’s the convenient and safe way to pay online.

So I’m excited to announce that we’ve expanded our online payment options for your Telstra bill to include PayPal. And best of all, there’s no payment fee for using PayPal.

Paying your bill with PayPal is easy:

1. Grab your Telstra account number (located on the top of your email or paper bill, or get it online on MyAccount or via our 24×7 Apps) and payment amount.
  2. Head to telstra.com/paymybill and select PayPal as your payment option.
  3. Enter your PayPal email address and password (allowing you to securely access funds from any PayPal funding source). If you don’t already have a PayPal account, you can sign up here.
  4. Review and confirm your payment to make sure you’ve entered everything correctly.
  5. You’re done – we’ll send you an email confirming your payment.

Initially we’ve made PayPal available on telstra.com, however we’re also already working on including PayPal within our award-winning ‘Telstra 24×7′ apps for your smartphone or tablet in the next few months.

Our 24×7 apps have been incredibly popular with well over one million downloads. And with more than one in five PayPal transactions in Australia currently taking place on a mobile device.

As always, we’d love to hear your feedback and suggestions – head to CrowdSupport, join the conversation by tweeting @Telstra or ‘Like’ us on Facebook for 24×7 service – facebook.com/Telstra24x7.

See you online soon!

Monty Hamilton

How digital are you? Take Telstra’s ‘digital’ challenge

1. Do you receive your bill by email? Get email bill today telstra.com/emailbill
  2. Are you registered for ‘My Account’? Register now at telstra.com/register
  3. Have you got Telstra 24×7 apps for iPhone, iPad, Android or Facebook? Search ‘Telstra 24×7′ or visit telstra.com/apps
  4. Do you pay your Telstra bill online (e.g. BPay or telstra.com)? Try PayPal today at telstra.com/paymybill
  5. Do you recharge your pre-paid service(s) on telstra.com? Recharge online today at telstra.com/recharge

1. Brendan says:

This is good news, thank you Telstra executives. Seeing as you’re now on such good terms with PayPal, I was wondering whether you could help me and many other Australian small business people by persuading PayPal Australia to accept American Express cards as a form of payment? They already accept MasterCard and Visa Card in Australia, but they don’t accept American Express. It seems really odd given that PayPal accepts American Express in every country except Australia. It’s really important to me because I use PayPal to invoice my customers and I have a large number of customers who would like to be able to pay me with American Express via my PayPal invoice. Is there any chance you could support my cause by raising this issue with them? I would be delighted if you could help.

2. Stefan says:

Great move Telstra! Is PayPal going to be an option for when clicking “Make a Payment” when in My Account? (https://www.my.telstra.com.au/myaccount/overview)

3. Brian says:

Great to hear -- would be awesome if we could set up a recurring payment with paypal so you can automatically debit bill amounts through paypal as the bills are issued as well.

4. Monty Hamilton [Telstra Staff] says:

Hi Brendan, we’re excited that we’ve been able to partner with PayPal to extend our payment options. I’ve sent your suggestion to PayPal and will check on this when we catch up with them. Whilst we understand this will extend payment choice even further, it will be PayPal’s choice to include American Express. In the meantime payment via American Express is available at Telstra.com (processing fee applies).
    Thanks.

5. Hi Brian, that’s a great idea. Our next step is to enable PayPal from Telstra 24x7 apps, I’ll check out options for recurring payments -- I use this myself for a few other services so it shouldn’t be too difficult once we get over the variable amount. Thanks, Monty H

• Slim says:

I second that. Automatic payment via paypal would be the way to go.

• Samuel says:

Hi Monty,
      If and when recurring payment were to be included, people might get a bit naive and not look at their bill, not acknowledging unexpected/accidental charges… They would only find out nearly 3 months later when their bank statement come through. Then, Telstra, although not at fault, would cop the blame…
      I do realise that this would just be a small percentage, roughly 50,000 customers, but they are now 50,000 unhappy customers.

6. @Stefan A follow up to Gigi’s reply. Within “My Account” payments are made in an authenticated environment, we are working on refreshing this at the moment, in 2-3 months we should have this up and running. Thanks, Monty H

7. Beau Giles says:

Hi Guys,
    Great to hear that PayPal is now supported.
    I’d also love to see this integrated with My Account alongside the ‘once off Direct Debit’ and Credit Card options.
    A username/password is easier to remember than my account number! ;-)

I’d also love to see support for eCheques, or at least instant bank transfers -- this is one of the main reasons I like using PayPal; I don’t have to use my credit card, and I usually don’t have anything sitting in my PayPal balance.

8. peter says:

Any chance you could use this to provide a proper recurring payment option for prepaid accounts??

9. Verbatim says:

This is a good move forward. Will be better once it’s on the Telstra 24x7 app. Would be good if the app could be a little improved as well. Such as being able to see detailed unbilled usage like we can on the website (rather than just the categories)? Also, possibly the ability to download the full PDF bill straight to the mobile device would be nice as well (for both current and past bills). Also, the app is a little behind the website in terms of the data update for unbilled usage charges as well.

10. Chris says:

Is there a planned date to include the 11-digit Telstra account numbers too?
    Just asking because I was refused PayPal to pay my bill, for not being a 13-digit Telstra account.
    Regards and thanks, Chris.

• Bram van der Lans [Telstra staff] says:

@ Chris: Could it be that your account number is 10 digits, but your bill number is 11 digits? In that case, please make sure you entered then in the appropriate fields.

We support most of the Telstra account types with the new payment functionality, so there shouldn’t be an issue.

• Stephen says:

I have a business account which is 10 digits, paypal wouldn’t accept 10 digit accounts, but only 13 digit accounts. When will paypal accept business accounts?

11. Vladimir says:

I’m currently paying my bills on direct debit. Is there an option to direct debit via PayPal?

• Bram van der Lans [Telstra staff] says:

Hi Vladimir,

Yes there is, but that will be within your PayPal account/settings. Once you have set-up the direct debit agreement with PayPal you can use that to pay your Telstra bills or other merchants.

12. cpl says:

The payment options via “My Account” don’t have the Paypal option. Was it overlooked?

13. Carlo says:

Too bad Paypal doesn’t accept AMEX otherwise this would have been good for me.

I earn many more reward points if using AMEX compared to my Mastercard so that I’m still ahead if pay the card srcharge compared to if I used the MC with paypal option.

I don’t understand why companies still charge credit card surcharges, surely they realise that it would be a great promotional tool to attract more customers if they got rid of this, which would easily offset the cost. For example I have two service stations nearby…I always use the one that DOESN’T charge a surcharge for using my AMEX.

14. jim says:

is this work for direct debit using paypal to pay my bills automatically?
    if not please implement ASAP!

15. Danni Sarena says:

Would there be a credit card surcharge if I paid my Telstra bill with my Mastercard via PayPal?

• Bram van der Lans [Telstra staff] says:

Hi Danni,

As with direct debit payment via your bank account, Telstra will not apply any surcharge for PayPal payments either.

Bram.

16. Jeremy says:

Just confirming that as at April 10 2013, we are still not able to use Paypal for 10 digit account (business?) numbers.

Are Telstra planning to enable this payment option for 10 digit account numbers?

17. Markitome says:

There is an app named ‘Dabbit’. This app has been made by WalkingCoin Payment Network pvt ltd and gives payment due notifications on your phone, lets you mark you favorite billers from the biller list with the convenience of paying from any one of your bank accounts. You can schedule your bill payments too using this app for future bill payments.

18. Adrian says:

Back when this was announced, I paid my first bill via paypal. Since then I can no longer see that option on the pay a bill page. Has paypal been removed as a payment option? I have a 13 digit account number if that has anything to do with it.

19. Ben Forsyth says:

As an update to the original post, on Sunday we rolled out the capability to the mobile website.

Paying your bill is now as simple as pointing your mobile browser to http://www.telstra.com.au and clicking the ‘Make a payment’ tile. Customers are then given the convenience of being able to to pay by credit card, bank transfer or PayPal.

20. Brett Tanzer says:

As usual all stuffed up.

Doesn’t work for 10 digit account numbers

21. Tomie says:

Telstra is a disgrace charging it’s customers fee’s for using credit cards! In the USA credit card use if FREE EVERYWHERE! Australians are always being ripped off! Shame Telstra!! The ACCC should give you guys a fee for ripping us off!

22. wendy says:

Hi, just wondering when you 10 didgit account holders can pay by paypal, Stephen asked this on 8th March but no reply has been given??

23. Guy says:

Is it possible to schedule a bill payment using Paypal?

Don’t want to hand over my money before the bill is due, but would like to schedule when I receive the bill notification.

• Az [Telstra Community Manager] says:

Hi Guy,
      Doesn’t look like the system is set up to allow you to schedule a future payment. Might have to rely on a reminder!
      I’ll pass on your feedback though.
      Az

24. Dominic Papasergio says:

The 10 digit account number is still not working, 11 digit is not working either. I have three account numbers as the computer can merge them, without breaking contracts!

25. Luke says:

How long does it take for a PayPal transaction to be processed and received as payment for a Telstra bill? Is it quicker or take longer than paying via Credit Card the conventional way? Thanks.

26. Dan says:

I paid my recent Telstra bill via PayPal after seeing the promotion on the Telstra site. What PayPal didn’t make known is were going to charged me a US$ conversion fee on paying my Telstra bill, presuumably for using a CBA Amex?
    PayPal = not very transparent. Not a good PayPal expirience :( Would like to hear if from other PayPal users if this is normal??

27. Brett Tanzer says:

Why do you Telstra guys continually ignore the comments regarding the 10 digit account numbers?

This sort of behaviour is what makes Telstra the most of the most frustrating entities to deal with!

• Az [Telstra Community Manager] says:

Hi Brett,
      Apologies for the delay in our response. We don’t have an update on the availability of this system for 10 digit account numbers at this time. When we do, we’ll let you know.

In the meantime, please feel free to speak to our customer support team via the links above about the issue.
      Az

28. Monty Hamilton says:

Hi Dan,
    We’ve been in touch with our contacts at PayPal to see what’s going on as this should not be the case. As you’ll understand we don’t have access to your PayPal account, to investigate further we need you to contact PayPal on 1800 073 263 with your account information and the PayPal Transaction ID (which you can see when you login to PayPal). Sorry we can’t resolve this one for you on the spot.
    Thanks, Monty H

29. Best Exhaust says:

C’mon Telstra, it would be good if you supported your business customers and implemented PayPal payments for them. PayPal supports “direct debit” functionality so why not use it?

Unless this is simply a promotional thing and you intend to start charging for PayPal payments too???

Note: PayPal now accepts Amex, so go for it guys :)

30. Mick says:

Hi Telstra, just wondering what the status is with recurring Paypal payments? It would be great if we could set our bills to be paid automatically each month via Paypal.

31. Dan says:

Thanks Monty Hamilton.
    It turned out to be some sort of account pre authorisation by PayPal that only appeared for a few days via NetBank, then vanished. Sorry for delay, but thought best to still update to clear up concerns for others.
    Dan