08 Feb 2013
By David Thodey
Feb
2013

Telstra customer video update

Filed under: ,

hyresultsheader

Yesterday we released the company’s Half Year results and I would like to take you through some work we have been doing to improve customer service in this short video.

Please leave any questions or comments you have in the comments section below.

1. Paul says:

It would be great if Telstra spent some of those large profits on upgrading their exchanges in the bush towns to give those customers the service they deserve. ADSL1 or 2 (up to 8Mbps) is a joke when Telstra can supply speeds on your Next G network with speeds up to 20Mbps. Is it because you resell your ADSL network to other ISP’s and you don’t want to give them faster internet?? If you can supply bandwidth to your Next G you should be able to supply bandwidth to your ADSL network.

2. Joy says:

Dear David,
    I am both a customer and a shareholder of Telstra. Briefly my most recent experience moving my home phone and internet to a new metropolitan address (not completed yet -- I still don’t have internet connection, 3 weeks after my initial call) has required me to speak with 9 people so far. The phone connection was smooth. The internet connection has been a debacle. Two internet connection dates given by Tesltra staff have come and gone. The problem is (I know from numerous first hand recounts) my internet experience is not uncommon. My question is -- do you as CEO understand why Telstra is unable to successfully manage what seems like such a simple operation? What are the fundamental problems leaving both Telstra customers and Telstra workers so frustrated. Is it lack of training? Is it poor quality data bases? Are processes, particularly communication processes, not well established and not well understood by workers? I am interested to know how the management team understands the issues and how you plan to move forward. I guess, as a shareholder, I watched the previous CEO come and leave with his big salary and I did not note any major improvements to customer service outcomes during his time. A couple of other points: Firstly the customer feedback option is not always available at the end of calls I make to telstra. It seems if I am happy with the call -- the option is provided. If I am not -- the line is dead at the end of the call -- no option to provide feedback is given. The other point is I watched the video of executive dealing with sales calls. I wonder if there would be value in them taking other more demanding customer service calls -- like service relocations and the like, if they haven’t already. Thanks

3. D marshall says:

Well done on the first half results and presentation of same. A polished PR message I believe will assist our forward motion.

Keep up that sterling work.

All the best.

Doug

4. Dave says:

Your service is so bad that it took me 10mins to download your message.

5. Andrew says:

You have a long way to go!

On Saturday night I called Telstra to place a divert on a landline temporarily.
    I called back this morning to remove it, and in the mean time got…

1. One operator tell me he was with landlines, and that it was the wrong department. Which I told him it obviously wasn’t, and he forwarded to me a number which put me on hold for 5 minutes then dropped my call.

2. I called back and got another person who couldn’t help me because he was from residential landlines (not business). Forwarded me to the same number that dropped my call after 5 minutes again.

3. Got another person tell me he couldn’t find the number on the system, and was going to forward me to “the commerical team”….dropped my call.

4. Called back and had another person tell me the number is not a Telstra number, and he even apparently triple checked it.
    Well if it’s not a Telstra number, how did you put the divert on I asked.
    He was adamant that no they couldn’t have put the divert on and started getting frustrated with me that I wouldn’t believe him about it not being a Telstra number (even though it appears on our company’s TELSTRA bills).
    He hung up on me.

Wasted one hour to remove a measly divert that could have been fixed in <10minutes had you employed native english speaking people who are not incompetent at their jobs.

6. Andrew says:

All these issues are interesting to say the least. I wonder if David himself will message these great customers back himself and explain the reasons why these issues havent been prevented in the past as i can say for a fact it would not be the first time its happened

7. Pip says:

Approx month ago I rang telstra as needed to have cable. I have ADSL and good router but terribly slow internet which is frustrating with two teenage sons, one doing HSC and the other starting 2nd year uni. I spoke to a very helpful fellow who was even in Australia. We talked about cable where it would go etc, cable was available and we do have foxtel. I think 4 weeks later a box arrived, I didn’t look at it for a couple of days as thought a technician would ring to do something with the cable. No call so opened the box and found instructions for self setup of ADSL with router etc. I already have one of those.
    Meanwhile we finally realised that why we had no internet was because Telstra had disconnected it from our previous provider when they sent out the ADSL box. Now a week later with no internet the cable has arrived with instructions but we are not electricians so had to ring for technician who is coming Thursday. This means two weeks with no internet -- by the way when I rang and suggested they send the cable box not ADSL, 3 people later -- think I ended up in Australia, I was told that internet would be installed in 48 hours -- 120 hrs ago. My son is using his I phone to run his homework being year 12 -- I expect this to be refunded as I have heard a very expensive way to operate. I can only say your customer service is atrocious. I wonder will my internet be faster with cable??????

8. Joel says:

How about you upgrade the Tuart Hill exchange. My connection constantly drops out. When I have connection it is VERY slow. I have very bad latency issues. I’ve had technicians tell me there’s nothing they can do to help, because all of the exchange ports are full. I’ve lodged a complaint over three weeks ago and had no response. Yes, Mr Thodey, you certainly can do better when it comes to handling complaints. My patience is running ever so thin with this Tuart Hill exchange, and if there is no solution, I’m not sure I’ll ever use Telstra again.

9. Bronwyn Guy says:

Unfortunately our experience with telstra has been far far less than even adequate customer service. My experience has been that telstra treats its (long term and loyal) customers with contempt. Last year we starting having problems with our landline on overseas calls (mainly to the UK but not exclusively). Since then we have been trying unsuccessfully and more and more desperately to get this resolved. It started out we had a bad line, it became worse and worse and now we can often not make OS calls at all. We have had multiple ‘complaints’ ‘case-managers’ who achieve nothing, rarely call and then after nothing happening disappear and never follow up. We have to chase them and they have disappeared and we are given a new one. We have been assigned multiple ‘complaint’ referral numbers and when a new person comes on they don’t seem to read the file or even be able to find it and we have to start from scratch repeatedly. Our case has been going longer but our first ‘official’ case file is from October 2012, and we just received a new one last week. When I spoke to ‘Shane’ in ‘complaints’ last week (a brand new start -- again), I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor as I want a senior person to take carriage of it, and he refused! Outright refused! He was patronising, condescending and offhand. Talked down to me about ‘I can understand it must be frustrating to be in the situation’ as though I had had an accident rather than my long term suffering at the hands of telsra incompetence and complete contempt for us as customers. That was a week ago and he hasn’t called back. I will be filing this with the Ombudsman now; I think I have been more than fair with trying to resolve it for many many months with no result. By the way, to add insult to injury telstra sent out technicians twice to the house to check the lines and then had the hide to charge us for it when it was acknowledged it was a line issue and not our fault! At one point apparently they ‘rerouted’ our OS line via Hong Kong! Still doesn’t work. It is like a Kafka novel with no end. So customer service? It might be a video but it’s not the culture at telsra that’s for sure.

10. Lynette says:

It appears the lights are on but nobodys home.

I have made 3 complaints to the ceo’s site about overcharging first one 29th may as yet I haven’t even received a reference number. I have not even been contacted by Telstra. What good is a ceo who can not control his staff and get them to do there job.

• Az [Telstra Community Manager] says:

Hi Lynette,
      I’m sorry that no one has made contact with you. I don’t have enough details to be able to get someone to follow up for you, but I’d recommend you make contact with our Live Chat team at https://livechat.telstra.com/ and they can investigate where your complaints are at. They are available 24/7, so please drop them a note when you have a moment spare.

Az

11. I have recently signed up with the DOT package. For my new business. I was sold that this is the future and any technical issues can be handled by computer.
    Since the 20th May 2014 was when i had time to look into the problems I was experiencing with my customers and friends informing me of calling my phone line only to get a fax line! along with my fax not functioning and my billing address was incorrect and telstra staff stating they had my fax line as my phone line and visa versa??? I have had nothing but continued problems with the service!
    Even more frustrating is the constant let down by the staff of Telstra, some have been helpful, but most did not fulfill what they said they would do along with the misinformation I have been given. I have stated my case to a variety of managers and telephonist that has consumed 7 to 8 hours of waiting time along with explaining my problems!
    I really cannot continue to be let down by this service as it is damaging, time consuming and embarrassing for me and my business, on the 22nd of May 2014 out of sheer frustration to have my problem re-solved I had sent a complaint email to CEO Mr David Thoady and on the 23rd of May Mr Thoady’s PA called me to state they received my email and will get a manager to call me to sort it out, Yes a manager called and technician arrived that day and sorted the problem I thought. I just watched Mr Thoady video on the direction of Telstra and service is paramount and we will continue to strive for excellence. My reference Telstra reference: **************.
    Will some one be accountable to rectify my service issues?
    Thank you.

• Jamie (Editor) says:

Hi Dominic,

I’m really sorry you’ve had issues with your DOT service. I have escalated it for you and you should get a call in 2-3 business days.

Thanks,