20 Sep 2012
By Leigh Price
Sep
2012

HD voice provides crystal clear audio quality phone calls

Filed under: , , ,

blog-4g-hd-voice-banner

One little-known feature of Telstra’s mobile network is HD voice – but boy, you’ll know it when you hear it.

On calls between supported phones like the Samsung Galaxy SII and Samsung Galaxy SIII; you’ll notice your caller sounds like they’re right there in the room with you.

HD voice also includes background noise cancellation technology, which makes it much easier to chat with someone when they’re somewhere noisy like a busy street, footy match… or a drag race.

Check out a quick explanation of Telstra HD voice on the video below.

Related links:

1. Chris says:

So, does iPhone 5′s ‘wideband audio’ support mean it works with Telstra’s HD voice?

2. Ron says:

Notably, the iPhone 5 is the first Apple device to support HD Voice. A bit odd that Telstra didn’t take this opportunity to point out just how awesome they are for potential iPhone 5 owners.

Older Android devices that appear to support it include the HTC One X(L) and the Galaxy Nexus.

With so many Australians preferring iOS, it’s nice to know that an increasing number of my calls will be HD Voice quality, as both the caller and the receiver need to have compatible handsets.

3. Gregory Opera says:

What’s the requirements for “HD Voice”?

It’s just support for the AMR codec and an active noise-cancellation mike on the back, isn’t it? Is there a firmware/software requirement too?

The reason I ask is because like some other Telstra customers, the wife and I bought our smartphones (a Sony Xperia S) from a third-party (non-Telstra) store, and I’m pretty sure it meets all of the above requirements… Does this mean that “HD Voice” should work with my smartphone?

4. Sheeds says:

Don’t forget the Lumia 800 Windows Phone also has HD Voice – and you really should have linked to this page, which I encouraged Telstra to create:

It lists all the HD voice supported handsets on Telstra’s network.

Sheeds.

5. Simon says:

So does this mean that Telstra’s 4G network now supports Voice, not just data? That’s what it sounds like from the Ad.

6. rocco says:

Motorola Razr XT910 works as well. Mate has a SGSII and calls between both phones on NextG are superb quality.

7. Tim says:

Can someone please confirm if the Galaxy Nexus has HD voice?
    Its not on the list that Telstra published, however when it was advertised HD voice was listed as a feature of the phone:
    “Enjoy high definition voice calls – Built-in HD Voice support enables crisper, clearer calls when chatting to mates with compatible handsets on the Telstra Mobile Network.”

Can someone please confirm that this is correct?
    Many thanks
    Tim

8. KJ says:

Doesn’t this only benefit the person you’re calling?

9. M0les says:

What are the “supported phones”?

Is a One XL “like” a Galaxy S3 enough to be supported?

10. James says:

iPhone 5 and HD quality on the Telstra network is really bad phone calls sound like rubbish.

Are there any issues that are effecting iPhone 5 users because every call just sounds bad and that’s between iPhone 5 to other iPhone 5 users and even other phones the quality is still really bad.

• Sean says:

I have the iPhone 5 and i have herd hd voice quality and havn’t had any problems but i’m looking foward for volte switching to come in when the 700 Mhz and 2.6 Ghz come online with the 1.8 Ghz LTE

• David says:

Might just be your iPhone. Both my iPhone 5 and my wife’s iPhone 5 sound great on all calls, and when calling each other it’s like we’re just about standing next to each other (thanks to HD Voice)

11. David says:

Does the Motorola RAZR HD support HD Voice?

12. Mark says:

iPhone 5 to iPhone 5 calls are terrible. Thanks to HD voice. When will it be fixed?

• Sean says:

I have an iPhone 5 and it sounds a lot better even someone on a landline phone can tell the difference with a lot clearer audio and it sounds crisper a lot less background noise and i have been a lot happier with HD voice on the iPhone 5.

13. Sean says:

I hope HD voice comes to landline phones when running on the NBN

• Sean says:

I have a friend that i call up on the phone and both of us have HD voice compatable phones. I use the iPhone 5 and it sounds fantasic wide band AMR witch is HD voice. Anyone on Optus or Vodafone you are missing out what the iPhone 5 can do and with wide band amr it sounds like you are talking to someone right in front of you because the audio frequency is from 20 hz to 7000 hz and when speaking to woman on the phone you can understand what they are saying and they can hear you better in nosier areas. My friend can’t pick where i am most times unless i tell her. Guys this is a way not telling your partners where you are most of the time and even if they call you on a landline phone when they can’t hear most background noise when you are on the next g network and i hope Telstra switches off the gsm and you can hear when the phone switches over to gsm and oh boy you can hear the difference gsm and next g with hd voice.

14. Steven says:

I have a Galaxy S3 4G and my mate has the Galaxy S3 3G, when HD Voice works, it’s fantastic. What I find though is that about 1/3 of calls drop out or don’t connect when I call him. It’s significantly higher when calling him. I’ve yet to have an issue calling anyone without HD Voice.

Is it good? Yes, but I much prefer to have a call that connects and works every time than the drop outs that I get on HD Voice.

15. Matt says:

Does Telstra provide HD Voice calling between the Next G network and the Telstra Digital Business IP phone network (TIPT)?

I understand the mobile network uses AMR-WB (G.722.2) for HD Voice whereby Telstra Digital Business uses G.722.1

Has Telstra interconnected these networks so HD Voice can interoperate between Next G and the fixed HD Voice network?

16. lex says:

Just Received a call from my wife and it was crystal clear. Looked up in google to find out why and here it was!

It was as I suspected.

Thanks for the post

17. Justin says:

Just signed up to two new iPhone 5S’ on Telstra for my wife and I. Call quality between our two phones is SHOCKING. Electronic sounding, words have a tail or an echo effect to them when you stop talking and there is a reverb type of thing going on that makes it sound like the person is in the toilet!

Calls to land lines and non iPhone’s on Telstra are perfect and calls to an iPhone 5 on another network is also perfect so it must be somewthing to do with this HD Voice on the iPhone on Telstra. Very, very disappointed.