04 Sep 2012
By Andrew Volard
Sep
2012

Samsung Galaxy SIII 4G coming to Telstra

Filed under: , ,

4g-sg3-blog-header-3

We know a lot of you have been hanging out for information about the Galaxy SIII 4G so we’re pleased to confirm that we’ll be offering it on Australia’s only national 4G-enabled network next month.

In a lot of ways Samsung Galaxy SIII 4G is Australia’s first ‘super phone’ – combining 4G mobile internet speeds, quad-core processor technology and the latest Android™ 4.1 Jelly Bean operating software.

It includes a 4.8 inch HD Super AMOLED display for high-resolution video, web browsing and gaming.

We’ll be making it available in both Titanium Gray and Onyx Black.

As well as enjoying 4G coverage in more than 100 metropolitan and regional locations across the nation (including all capital CBDs) Telstra customers will benefit from Australia’s fastest 3G speeds on the Samsung Galaxy SIII 4G — thanks to Telstra’s HSPA+ Dual Channel 3G network technology.

These faster typical download speeds of 1.1 Mbps – 20 Mbps are available to 80 per cent of the population on the Telstra Mobile Network, making it quicker to do things like browsing the Internet, checking Facebook and loading email.

There’s also in HD Voice support built in too — which means you can take advantage of crisper, clearer calling when chatting to mates that have HD Voice compatible handsets on the Telstra Mobile Network.

Pricing and availability

Pricing for Samsung GALAXY S III 4G on the Telstra Mobile Network will be announced closer to launch in October. You can register your interest to receive more information by heading to: www.telstra.com.au/samsung-4g.

For more information on Telstra 4G, head to: www.telstra.com/4g.

Update

Available now with the following options
For personal use: Samsung Galaxy SIII 4G
For business owners with an ABN: Samsung Galaxy SIII 4G for Business

1. Peter says:

Hi Andrew

Great phone, especially on 4G on 4g

If possible are you able to advise if Telstra is also considering the LG Optimus G which is another highly rated 4G phone.

Several of us at my office are waiting to know so we can better understand if we should wait until you have both of the above phones.

Many Thanks

Peter Keene

2. Danny says:

Dear Telstra,

Optus has already annouced the SGS III 4G spec and monthly plan details. Is this (above) all you can come up with?

Please proof me right for sticking with Telstra by sharing more info with your customers.

3. Brian says:

Telstra, You are boasting about wide 4G coverage but not many options in terms of phones?

Why don’t you tell us when the s3 4G will be available. Optus will have it in few days..

May be I should go over to optus..

• Blair says:

Hi Brian,
      Yes you could go to Optus, however, they have a VERY limited 4G network.

• Brett Cartmill says:

Actually Optus have just cut over an extensive 4G network in Sydney Melbourne and Perth…Sydney coverage is much more extensive than telsra!

4. BC says:

Hmmm I just want the S3 4g.. two actually.. and Optus have provided certainty where Telstra haven’t. I guess I’m heading across the road!

• Nothing says:

Lots of people run away from Telstra’s service and information, but it seem that they dont care.

• lc says:

i left telstra a couple of years ago, but am coming back now, the coverage outside major cities on any of the other networks (optus/vodaphone) is shocking

5. Dave says:

What a joke that you would delay publishing your pricing for such a period. It’s this sort of corporate arrogance and unwillingness to compete that made me move from iPhone to Samsung and NOW Telstra to Optus. Give your customers what they WANT. Bad business.

6. AL says:

Why would you go to optus? you may as well get the next G S3, still faster than optus 4G. and the more people who connect to optus 4g the slower it will get.

The reason Telstra have not announced it is because Optus have exclusive rights for it for 1 month.. so I will go out on a limb and say it comes out around the 20th of october.

You could not pay me enough to go with optus. Why get a smart phone on a dumb network to maybe save a few dollars a month.

no thankyou, i shall wait one month

• sfmike says:

I agree. In my experience, there is no comparison between Telstra’s network and the others. Their other systems may be clunky and their customer service skills questionable, but I’ll be sticking with them.

• Blair says:

Well said AL.

Telstra has coverage in over 95% of Australia, Optus in only like 40%. It is all well & good to have a cheap unlimited plan but if you can’t use the phone when & where you want it is not worth the saving in money.

• Rich says:

I’ve been locked into an optus contract for 23months but bought a telstra prepaid handset a couple of months ago as i couldn’t stand it any longer. I’ve been completely blown away by how great the telstra network is and will not be tempted to go back to optus any time soon. Although there may be a price premium (although not as much as most people think) it is totally worth it to have a network that works when I need it to.

7. atif says:

i have s3 korean version i.e quad core with 2 gb ram. this not going to upgrade and now i lost originol ics . screen is stuck on galaxy siii. what we shoul i do

8. Tim says:

Telstra……..I agree with the previous people. You boast about your network and how great it is…..and how your plans are so much more expensive than everyone else because you are so good….If you are so good why do you lag behind with everything compared to other companies!? Optus has the S3 4G available in 3 days and you can not even tell me when you think you might have it?! Looks like I will be taking my home phone, broadband and 2 mobile phones to optus so we can get the new phones!

• Blair says:

Tim if you go with Optus why bother with the 4g version because unless you live in Optus’s VERY limited 4g area (Sydney) you will not get to enjoy the benefits…

9. Marcus says:

lol Telstra
    Dropped into your Perth CBD stores today. Murray St could not tell me when you would be releasing pricing/stock. Hay St have it on display & plan prices displayed, but could not tell me the land line call rate. Lift your game!!

10. MTC says:

I have just had the most frustrating experience ever with Telstra.

The outlet on Queen street mall, Brisbane has to be one of the poorest, rudest, most patronising service providers I have ever had to deal with.

Five weeks to try and resolve an issue, and all they could do was offer me $30 to go away.

Telstra deserves to go out of business.

11. Alex says:

People need to relax. Optus have a 30 day exclusive on the sale of the phone…

12. Nicole says:

I have just called the sales center and they cannot give me a release date or pricing and I was just directed me to read this.

SHAME ON YOU TELSTRA for not having a set day and pre-order option complete with pricing for this phone when the other providers are right on top of it. Looks like I will be ordering one from Optus or Virgin as I can do that today and there is no indication from Telstra when I will be able to do that with them.

13. Jay says:

Guys have spoken with Samsung in sydney. They apparently have stock of both colours of the s3 4g at $899 outright unbranded as of today. Optus says they only have the titanium grey and telstra will supply both colours when they announce their release date.

14. sfmike says:

Will it be possible to pay outright for the phone, then use a Telstra prepaid plan? I prefer this to the iPhone 5, but will switch if I can’t stay with prepaid.

15. phez says:

Folks, I saw the phone at Samsung store for $839 outright but it was in Titanium Grey only. What is the other colour they stock? Also it had Optus apps installed. Can anyone confirm if the Optus apps are just on the demo?

16. james says:

when is telstra making an announcement on the s3 4g release?

• Eddy says:

James, I too would like to know the TELSTRA release date. I would also like to know the plan costs because I can see them being quite high.
      The other thing is, will it be a thicker phone in 4G as the Galaxy S3 was.

• Singing Sam says:

Patience is a virtue. very soon you will get to hold your shiny new Telstra enabled S3 4G. it may be closer to the end of October but that will come around faster than you can say the alphabet in Icelandic! We all love to hate Telstra as they are expensive, tardy in responding and put you on to service staff that don’t make a lot of sense. At the end of the day however, they have the best network and they have us by the short and curlies. Soon enough Vodafone will overtake them in coverage and we will laugh last. Until then, patience my friends patience……

17. John says:

I just got off the phone with Telstra, and I have to say something has changed in the last few years. The Australian rep wasn’t pressuring me to buy something else, was helping me with my other Telstra services, and all in all I’d put it as a positive experience on the phone;something I’ve never had. You can moan all you’d like about not getting the here-and-now information they don’t even have themselves, But hands down they are the best. Have fun with Vodaphone though.. Oh, and where are they sitting on the customer satisfaction scale?

18. Sue says:

Telstra will probably have them available for the middle of October.

19. UK says:

Hi,

Does anybody know in which other countries’ 4G networks can I use a 4G phone that I buy here in Australia?

• sfmike says:

This is a concern to me as well. From the Wikipedia entry on LTE: “The LTE standard can be used with many different frequency bands. In North America, 700/800 and 1700/1900 MHz are used; 800, 900, 1800, 2600 MHz in Europe; 1800 and 2600 MHz in Asia; and 1800 MHz in Australia. As a result, phones from one country may not work in other countries. Users will need a multi-band capable phone for roaming internationally.”

I’m specifically interested in a phone that works in Asia and the U.S. Will the Telstra Galaxy S3 4G be multiband?

20. Marty says:

Hi there,

I’m also eagerly waiting for an announcement on dates and plans.

My old phone is on its last legs – don’t make me go to Optus!!!

21. mike says:

Already have buyers regret and my Samsung S3 is only 1 week old and you’ve announced the 4G version. How can I “upgrade” my one week old phone.

22. Raymond says:

Dear all,

I find it HIGHLY amusing that everyone continues to cry and scream about Telstra not releasing a simple phone when there are so much more things in the world to care about, where was the yelling and crying to Apple when they had kept quiet about the iphone 5 for an entire year. I hope you all realise that it does take time and effort for a company to market, price and distribute a product and until all that stuff is confirmed I believe Telstra has every right to keep the release date of the phone underwraps.

It appears everyone just wants to blame the Telco’s because they have nothing else to do or anyone else to blame. Sad really.

• Travis says:

Raymond
      there was no crying about the iPhone because it is crap – S3 is an awesome phone (by what i have heard) so people are obviously more itchy. not publishing the release date is understandable, people will get angry if a delay causes them to miss the date and telstra has given us an ‘anticipated’ date range of “October”
      However they should have a decent idea of the plan prices by now or even an ‘unconfirmed’ price plan – this will allow telstra customers to decide if they want to wait for the release or just say “bugger it, too expensive” and go to Optus 4g.

but since my plan doesn’t expire until January anyway…. what do i care :)

• Eddy says:

Hi Raymond.
      What makes you think that people do not care about anything else in this world. This forum is about TELSTRA and their 4G phone. I’m sure you have questioned other matters that are less important to world issues, but it doesn’t mean that the matter which you have questioned is of greater importance than the starving people in underprivileged countries for instance.
      If TELSTRA or any other Telco wants the bigger slice of any market (which they do) then they have to satisfy and supply for their current and potential customers. I have never heard a Telco say “if you’re not happy then go elsewhere” They are in the business of making money and they do that by appeasing customer needs.
      And by the way, this forum is not about iPhone.
      TELSTRA has produced this site called “TELSTRA NEWS” and have allowed people to make comments, so that’s what we are doing.

23. HughC says:

I’ve got to say I’m keen, but a little worried about the battery life of this. If it’s the full biscuit quad-core, 2GB RAM device, and uses 4G, then how ordinary is the battery life going to be? I had assumed that the US LTE versions used dual core processors for a reason (ie to keep the battery life acceptable).

• Eddy says:

Fair call HughC.
      Battery life is pretty important. I’ve been told by a Telstra representative, that he switches his 4G off on his HTC phone when he’s not doing anything where he needs the speed. Seems a little pointless to me.
      He said 4G “DID” chew up the battery.

24. phil says:

will the s3 4g be blue tick?

25. Jay says:

Has anyone imported one from asia? as they have the same 4g (1800) band as us and tried it with a telstra sim?

26. Mike says:

Guys,
    I believe the plans are already published. If you go to the mobile phone page there are S,M,L,XL plan details.
    I would image these would be the same plan rates for the S3 4G as they are for the other 4G phones (iPhone 5 etc).

• Eddy says:

Yeah Mike, I’ve seen those plans but they aren’t necessarily the same for the Samsung Galaxy S3 4G, but you could be right though. After speaking to another Telstra rep, he said that battery drain is definitely higher on 4G sets. He also said that he anticipates the S3 3G will go off the market the same as the S2 did.
      4G is now the latest network and there will be no going back, so device manufacturers will have to address the power drain problem. Upside is that I believe 4G is hugely faster!

27. Mark says:

If you can’t wait for the S3 4G then there is the iPhone5 and HTC offerings to go now on the Telstra network. It’s a personal choice for handset, for me the Samsung has the larger screen which is what I’m after, the iPhone looks like, well, another iPhone. They are excellent phones as is the Samsung, I’m also used to Android. I’m waiting until it is available on Telstra simply because they have the best coverage, I need that for my business. Also, where I live there is no coverage from the other networks and can still get Telstra 3G, so no choice really for me. I hope the plan prices are the same as the existing S3 3G plans as highlighted by Mike.

Interesting point about it working overseas on other networks. I’m planning a trip over to Hong Kong and China at the end of the year, can anyone shed some light as to whether my Telstra S3 G4 would work there also?

28. Tobes says:

What it boils down to is you get what you pay for. I used Optus and worsely Vodafone. I lived within line of sight of the largest telecommunications tower in the Sydney region and had marginal reception with Vodafone. Despite promises over a 2 year period no improvement. My son had full reception on his telstra handset,so I prefer to pay a little more and get great reception and much better download rates.

29. Con says:

I am not so sure that the iPhone 5 is so great. I think it’s a dud. see this article –> http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/apples-maps-its-worst-software-product-yet-20120927-26mgz.html

Add to that scuff marks and dents out of the box, purple hazes in their camera images wherever there is a light source in the background, not to mention, light leakage in some screens from the sides, and you have an epic fail of an iPhone.

30. ED says:

S3 4G is out on telstra go order it guys !!!

31. james says:

well i just got an email from telstra and was able to order my new samsung s3 4g. all done . now waiting for delivery date.

32. Eddy says:

Hey guys.
    Just got an email from TELSTRA announcing that the Samsung Galaxy S3 4G has been released and “NOW” on sale.

Cheers
    everyone!!!

• Eddy says:

Unfortunately, it currently only comes in “Pebble Blue” but have been informed that other colors could be available in the coming weeks.

33. Eddy says:

The following has been copied directly from the Telstra Site:

“Available exclusively online now, or visit Telstra stores from Tuesday 9 October”

Cheers

• Eddy says:

I thought is was Pebble Blue but have found out “BLACK” only. It’s a shame really

Sorry guys :(

34. Nathan says:

Why do we constantly get ripped off in Australia?
    On T-Mobile UK I can get the Galaxy S3 4G, £49 one-off handset payment. £36 a month for unlimited everything, including 4G data!! We keep paying for it, so more fool us!

• Rich says:

Who says we are getting ripped off? It undoubtedly costs significantly more to create and service a network in a country like Australia due to our large land mass and higher labour costs compared to the UK and the smaller population base to spread costs amongst. Further, the cost of the phone should be looked at relative to the average personal income, which in the UK is only around $36K per annum, and relative to the prices of any other goods a consumer may plan to purchase. In addition, the cost of a £36 per month payment in our $ is currently around $57, plus the up front payment of $77 which we rarely see from telcos here. Finally the networks are essentially providing us credit for the total purchase price when we sign up to a contract, when was the last time you paid anything for a contract phone up front? Shouldn’t a telco be able to make an income from financing consumers purchasing habits?

35. stuart says:

I have heard a rumour that Telstra may also release the 4g S3 in white… can you confirm this?

36. Barry says:

i’m definitely considering buying this phone, however not sure whether to buy it outright and go to pre-paid or just stick to the plan.
    Right now i’m on a $39 plan with another carrier, but it expired a few days ago, and i really want this phone, but i feel that because i don’t use my phone all that often, $66 is too much to pay per month.
    Any suggestions?

37. Eddy says:

In store availability is this coming Tuesday the 9th Oct and it appears that nobody knows about colors. I have phoned Telstra and they asked me to phone Samsung who in turn asked me to phone Telstra.
    All I get is that other colors “may” be available at a later date. It’s unbelievable that neither party can give us a straight answer to such a simple question. I’m sure that if it’s a matter of a couple of weeks before we see other color options, a few of us would wait.

• Hi Eddy. Thanks for the feedback and I have asked shared it with the product manager and asked him for you.
      Brendan

• Kezza says:

A similar thing happened to me yesterday Eddy.. Telstra if you aren’t going to release a white handset soon can you please just say so. That way I can go and buy a Telstra compatible white handset outright from elsewhere knowing you aren’t going to bring one out a week later..

38. kezza says:

I am holding out for a white one too.

39. kezza says:

Same thing happened to me today eddy. If Telstra aren’t going to bring out a white one then just say so. That way I can go and buy a Telstra compatible white handset outright from elsewhere.

40. Robert says:

Can you update us all Brendan. Cheers

41. Eddy says:

Oh well, Just been to my Telstra store and they only have the 4G in Black and no nothing of other colors. So disappointing :(

42. Eddy says:

I’m finding this entire experience very frustrating. I have phoned Telstra and spoke to a representative that happened to be in Adelaide. She informed me that both Black and Grey were available over there. I’m in Melbourne and can only get black.
    Also, the online purchase option doesn’t even speak about color except that it “appears” to look black on the website.
    What is going on Telstra?

43. Peter says:

Folks, Samsung will be announcing the SIII mini tomorrow. It will be 4″ in size. We will know more tomorrow night.

• Eddy says:

Yeah Peter, the mini is a nice phone except that the specs aren’t as impressive as the larger S3. I wonder what the cost difference will be.
      I for one will still be going for the original larger S3.

P.S I’m still waiting on color options

44. stuart says:

Hi Brendan,

Is there any word on colours yet?

I’m stuck on an expensive month to month plan currently whilst waiting to get a new phone but I don’t want to get the s3 3g in white then find it gets released as a 4g in 2 months, and be stuck with a slower phone.

Any word would be appreciated as many of us are in the same boat regards wanting the the 4g version in white…

• Hi Stuart and those of you asking about colours. Sorry for the delay but here is the answer you’ve been waiting for. Onyx Black and Titanium Grey. Hope this is good news for you. Brendan

• Eddy says:

Hi Brendan,
        If you were to get onto Telstra Live Chat or phone their inquiry line they would know nothing about any color other than black. I happened to phone a few stores and got a reply from two that had the Grey. The Telstra shop in my area has still no clue of any other color. I believe that Telstra has handled this matter very poorly. I know it’s only color that we’re dealing with, but if a person is entering into a 24 month plan then it’s important to have knowledge of a choice. Telstra should have their act in order, with consistent knowledge of available colors not just randomly saying that there is only black. Too bad for the ones that purchased a black one three or four days ago.

45. stuart says:

Hi Brendan,

We already knew about black and grey it’s been publicly announced for over a month, we are asking in particular about white…

Secondly about further colours such as blue, red and brown which are already available on the 4g model overseas…

• Eddy says:

Stuart, I don’t think Telstra know what they’re doing.
      You say that Black & Grey have been available for a month, well I have been phoning and emailing them regularly (Telstra stores, live chat & Telstra help line) for that long and the answer I’ve had every time was “only black” until two days ago (Oct 16th) where two stores informed me that they had Titanium Grey.

In the end, I’m opting for the Titanium Grey this Saturday because I can’t wait and deal with their inefficiency. If I waited for a straight answer, the S3 would become old technology.

• Hi Stuart, I’ve head back from the product manager, and at this stage, there are no plans to launch a White variant within Telstra.

46. Eddy says:

Update on my latest experience.
    As I stated, I went to the Telstra store to purchase my new Samsung Galaxy SIII 4G (Titanium Grey) on Saturday, only to be informed that they cannot process the purchase on this particular weekend because of maintenance being carried out by Telstra which has disabled their system. They asked me to come back on Monday. So I guess there will be a large queue because lots of people will be in the same boat.
    At least they were able to record all the details on paper.
    Let’s see what Monday brings.