29 Jun 2012
By Leigh Price
Jun
2012

HOW TO: fix a SIM Card Registration Failed Error

How-to-blog-header-orange

SIM cards are the brains of our mobile phones, but just like you and I, they can sometimes get a little… dirty, and need a bit of a wipe down.

You may have encountered a SIM Card Registration Error on your mobile phone at some point. This usually means that the phone is having trouble reading information from your SIM card. Often this can happen simply from dirt from your pocket slowly working its way into your phone.

The solution is surprisingly low tech! Usually all that’s required is to turn off your phone, remove the SIM card from your device and wipe it down with a dry cloth. If you’re not sure what your SIM card looks like, look behind your phone battery for a small rectangular piece of plastic with a gold chip.

If that doesn’t fix the problem, there’s another low-tech solution which can help. Remove the SIM card again and try blowing some air into the area where your SIM card sits. If there’s some dust or debris in there, it can often help to clear it out.

If you’re still having no luck, it’s probably worth trying your SIM card in a friend’s mobile phone. This will help to work out if the problem lies with your mobile phone or your SIM card. If the SIM still doesn’t work in a mate’s phone, we can replace it for you. The quickest way to replace your SIM card is to visit a Telstra store – we’ll swap it on the spot.

Otherwise, if the problem seems to lie with your mobile phone, then you’ll need to arrange repairs. If you purchased your phone from Telstra, please call us on 125 111 or visit a Telstra store and we’ll be happy to help.

If you’re travelling overseas, we haven’t forgotten about you! We’ll do our best to help out if you call +61 439 152 111.

1. Judith Clark says:

Failed Registation of sim card nothing works done everything still not working

• Hi Judith. Thanks for contacting us via our blog. My apologies for the issues you’ve been having. You can click to ‘Ask the Crowd’ in a forum or you can go through to our ’24/7 Facebook page’. These are two options to contact us that will get you straight through to people who can help. Brendan.

2. Fiona B says:

Hi I’m trying to cal fr NZ to number above to fix sim registration, mesg tells me that mobile number is out of range or switched off. Is there another number to use please?

3. Tina says:

I think d problem shld be from d sim and d phone.Initially,wen I bought my C3-00 phone in 2011,d only sim card insyd wz jst my MTN until early 2012,my etisalat sim took ova.Currently,I decided to swap bak my sim to MTN only 2b getting Sim card registration failed whereas,if I remove n insert an etisalat sim or any oda one,d ‘sim registration failed’ problem will stop.On d oda hand,inserting d same MTN sim in anoda phone wnt eva giv me d message of a sim failed.Hence, I ask wheda my MTN sim is no longer compactible wt my C3-00 or cld dere be any oda fault attached to it?Pls reply me cos am sick n tired of switchn of my phone n switchn on bak again.Thx

4. Jakoba says:

I hv got these problem of sim card registration failed ,i am using E63 nokia imei number {357397043446102}can you please help me

• Gigi [Telstra Staff] says:

Hi Jakoba,

Have you tried the above solutions: turning the phone on and off, removing the SIM card, gently blowing some air on it and trying it in a friend’s phone? If so, please call 125 111 or visit your nearest Telstra store for a replacement SIM card :)

5. Just reset your iphone 4s first type passcode 1234
    next restart your iphone 4s
    next type this codes *#65010660#
    next type IMEI # 14 digit example: 30123434354121
    next restart your iphone 4s then your iphone 4s done….

6. AMIRTHAVALLI says:

any incoming call for me.i attend the call suddently call cut.one message is entered your sim card registation failed
    please tell me a solution sir

7. Gemma says:

Hi i bought a chinese copy of an iphone 5, its a pretty sick copy. the only issue is when i have a sim cardin it it says sim registration failed. i have tried everything. ive taken it to the vodafone shop and they have checked the imei number i no for sure its not black listed! please help me i really am stuck with what else i can do!

• good one says:

Hahaaaaa – made my day! Sure, buy a chinese copy of an iphone, find it doesnt work, and then complain about it in public. Go Gemma!

8. amir says:

hi
    im using nokia 5130 express music. i import 3 time wrong pin code then my phone ask me for the PUK. i turn off the phone, when turn it on, show this error “sim card registation failed”.
    please guide.

9. Agbaoje o andy says:

I have a simila problem abt chinish x2 which i inserted my simcard into and it showing me sim card regestration fail

10. margareth says:

my sin is roaming activated but suddenly sim regstration failed, my son loaded wit 150 but the reloader said my sim is already inactive. Please help. My other globe sim was loaded 100 but until now i cant recved message & it is also sim registration failed. But the reloader said it was successfuly loaded, but sim wit signal but stil it will alwys prompt that “sim registraion failed” please help

11. AYANDA says:

MY nokia c 3 have a problem when i open it says simcard rgistration failed… but the simcard is operating in another phone but when i insert another simcard in my mobile it says simard registration failed…. sometimes it operates well