19 Jun 2012
By Leigh Price
Jun
2012

HOW TO: block your number when calling someone

How-to-blog-header-orange

Sometimes there’s a genuine need to call someone and prevent your phone number from being displayed. Perhaps you’ve received a call from a number you don’t recognise, and you want to call back to check who it is without revealing your number. You can do this on both your home phone and mobile phone.

HOW TO: block your number when calling someone.

There’s two methods of hiding your number from being displayed – either on a call by call basis, or permanently.

Block your number on a call by call basis

• From a home phone, dial 1831 then the number you’re calling
  • From a mobile phone, dial #31# then the number you’re calling

Block your number permanently

For mobile phones, most phones include a “show my caller ID” settings in the settings, which you can turn off. For an iPhone, this is located in Settings > Phone > Show My Caller ID.  For Android phones, this is located in Phone > Settings > Call Settings > More Settings > Caller ID (or similar).

For home phones, we can hide your number when you call others permanently. We’ll also block your details so that your name, phone number and address are not published in the White Pages directory or on directory assistance services. A $2.93 monthly fee applies.

Please do contact us if you’d like to set this up.

1. Chris Brown says:

Windows Phone 7.5 has a great feature which allows you to show your caller ID to only your contacts. If you call a number off the bat, you’ll show as private. Add them to your contacts and they’ll see your number. It’s a really good set and forget solution!

• Nick says:

I had an old ericsson where i could type the number in, press the option key and select ‘call as private’
      I thought it was a good feature but have not seen it on a phone since.

• SB_Australia says:

What a great feature! I hate calling service providers when making enquiries & knowing that once I have called them, even if I didn’t leave my number they now have it in their database!

• Sue says:

This sounds really GR8!
      I have a iPhone using the Optus network & home phone with same provider, how can I set this up on my phones. Not sure what you mean by using Windows 7.5 ? Not a NERD at these kind of things :-( ( HELP please.

• Nick says:

Sue you have an iPhone, not a phone running windows phone 7.5 or higher.

You cant do this with an iphone (Yes the miracle iphone actually does less things than other phones)

All you can do is the methos stated by the author
      Block your number on a call by call basis

From a mobile phone, dial #31# then the number you’re calling

However that is for telstra, it may not work for optus.

• priyank says:

brother i did it with my window phone but it is not working

2. stewart says:

cool method of hiding id when calling

3. steve says:

will #31# prevent a mobile call from abroad being displayed as international to the recipient either on their mobile or landline in the uk.

Thanks

4. Denise Overell says:

This is a great idea but how do I reverse the process once I have made my call?

5. Doug Blake says:

Is it possible to block my home phone number for people dialing *10# after receiving a missed call from me and still keeping my listing in the white pages directory?

If so, would the monthly fee still apply?

I used to have this service on my phone free of charge but it apparently disappeared some time ago.

Why would the service disappear?

I hope you can answer my questions.

6. Jan says:

can I use 1831 with a 1800 number?

• Gigi [Telstra Staff] says:

Hi Jan,

Not quite sure about this one. 1831 temporarily blocks your number being displayed when you dial out so are you referring to calling a 1800 number that isn’t automated? Mayeb have a chat to our 24×7 Live Chat Customer service crew via the links above – they’ll be able to clarify this for you :)

7. mike says:

if you block your number from showing up on another phone. What shows up on the blocked persons bill from carrier. Does your number show up or is it labeled private.

• Ian [Telstra Community Manager] says:

Hi Mike,
      As your making the call it should only appear on your bill. You won’t see calls received on bills.

• Nick says:

When you ring someone you pay for the call so it will show on your bill.
      It will never show up on the bill of the person who you called as they do not pay to receive the call.

So nothing changes.

8. Blaise says:

i cannot toggle on/off of my caller id in iphone. and do you have any number to be placed before dialing to appear private in UAE?

• Gigi [Telstra Staff] says:

Hi Blaise,

Sorry, I don’t know the specific calling code for the UAE. A temporary solution for you may be to disable it for all calls on your iPhone then just enable it when you’re happy for it to be displayed again. Go to “Settings” -> “Phone” -> “Show My Caller ID”. Simply disable the caller ID feature by turning the switch to OFF.

9. tnxm says:

yeah yeah yeah what do I have to do what ow is it *670183810369 is it or what REPLY ASAP

10. ajt says:

how to hide number in india? What should i dial to hide my id ?

• Az [Telstra Community Manager] says:

Hi there,
      Sorry, we don’t have the info for blocking your ID with Indian mobile networks. Please speak to your local provider in India.
      Az

• Nick says:

#31# should work in India as it is a GSM code.
      So it should work on any GSM network

11. Paul Bradbury says:

how do I unblock my Telstra land line

• Az [Telstra Community Manager] says:

Hi Paul,
      To block or unblock temporarily from a home phone, dial 1831 to block and 1832 to unblock.
      If you want to block/unblock permanently, you’ll have to give us a call.
      Az

12. Dave says:

Hi, my home phone rang a few times and I wasn’t able to answer it. Used *10# and the response was “No unanswered call registered……..” Was this a call from a blocked number ???

• Az [Telstra Community Manager] says:

Hi Dave,
      Yes, it was either a blocked number or you may have picked up the phone just as the other person was hanging up and there was a slight overlap which meant there were no unanswered calls registered.
      Az

13. Brian says:

Thats all well and good but after many emails to Do Not Call and speaking with Telstra (the Indian fellow reckons he was working from home and not getting paid for it – yeah right) how do I stop/block a number from calling my mobile short of changing my number – impractical – or changing provider – a better option?

• Jamie [Editor] says:

Hi Brian, Are you receiving telemarketing calls? Make sure you always request the operator takes you off their list. Always let them know that you are on the Do Not Call register. You can find more information on our ‘Unwelcome Calls’ information site. Take a look through and let us know if there is anything else we can do. Thanks, Jamie.

• Nick says:

>how do I stop/block a number from calling my mobile short of changing my number

You cant.
      You simply can not stop someone picking up a phone and pressing the correct buttons to dial your phone number.

If they are not calling from a private number then depending on your phone you might be able to have your phone automatically reject calls from that particular number.

>or changing provider – a better option

See above, it will not stop people doing things to call you.

14. SB_Australia says:

BRIAN: I have been really happy with the Do Not Call register. I only received two calls after I registered online, both from Optus & I reported both to the Do Not Call people. I read that Optus was one of a few companies who were fined for ignoring the register so it is worth complaining as it strengthens any case that might be underway.

15. innovator says:

how to do it in my samsung phone in india..plz telll

• Nick says:

Did you read the part that says

>From a mobile phone, dial #31# then the number you’re calling

#31# is a standard GSM code so it will work in India or any other country

16. SB_Australia says:

Seriously man, CALL YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER IN INDIA! Yes, Telstra has sent their call centres to India but this doesn’t mean that they can help you with an issue that is probably unique to your country or even service provider!!!!!

17. bryan warren says:

Have recently purchased a home phone with and integrated answering machine. When an attempt is made to leave a message they get advised that this is a private number and a message cant be left. My number is a private number. any clues

18. Melissa says:

Hi

At home we use Telstra but if my mobile carrier is TPG, will this service still work?

Thanks
    Melissa

• Jamie [Editor] says:

Hello Melissa – the instructions below set the caller ID to be hidden from the device, not the carrier so it should still work.

19. Danny says:

Can Anyone help me to find out how can I see whos keep callling me from block number.I know how to block own number but need to see whos calling me on my Phone number for no reason .Sorry ..forget to mention my mobile carrier is Telstra… cheers ..ASAP reply will be Much appriciated ..

20. merv says:

I understand that you also need to dial # in front of 1831…ie #1831

21. merv says:

there must be an issue with my local exchange as it does not work without the # before 1831

22. Nad says:

Hi there,
    i have an iphone 4S, and the show caller ID option is faded out and it’s not allowing me to change it to off.. anybody knows how to fix that? i saw some weird suggestions online like change the language or turn flight mode on/off but it didnt work, although it worked form some.
    thanks

23. krishna kishor says:

problam hai mujhe

24. Irene says:

I’m trying 1831ftom the landline and its not working

25. Nic says:

“Sometimes there’s a genuine need to call someone and prevent your phone number from being displayed.”

Why do you think it would ever be less than genuine? What is wrong with just not wanting to reveal you number?

26. Tutty says:

Hi, I was wondering, when I hide my mobile phone number and go overseas to call a person in another country(example: I take my phone to America and call someone who is in Vietnam), how would my number be displayed???

27. Carolyn Wilcockson says:

Disgusting that Telstra charge $2.93 per month to hide my number! I already pay for line rental & call costs. It should be optional to display my number, not hide it.

28. Des says:

I have heard that there is a mobile phone that even though the person calling has blocked or put their number on private that the other person receiving may still be able to see who the caller is, apparently this is due to the receiver having a certain phone and there is a device on their phone that shows all numbers calling. is this possible as I would like one of them phones??

• Nick says:

It is not possible.
      The display of the phone number on the receiving phone is done by the network.

If the network does not forward on the phone number then the phone can not display it

29. Harsh says:

Sir i want to know that how to make private call or my caller id display as unknown or private from india

30. Amba says:

Hi

On your landline, can you block a particular number from calling your landline?

Amba

31. Mike says:

Will 1831 also work from a mobile or is the #31# number a must?

32. jerry says:

i have android micromax a65 phone but this code is no working (#31#) pls give me some good code

33. tania says:

can you hide your mobile number when texting and will it show up on the other persons bill showing my number or will it show blocked …..thanks

34. tim says:

Hi,Can i still use the 1831 prefix number, if i dont pay the $2.93 service fee?. for example i have taken the silent number feature OFF my home phone account completely, and now when i put 1831 before the number to use private number occasionally it wont let the call happen.
    I remember ages ago you could just type the prefix number in before any home/mob number and it would work from all telstra phones?

35. Abdu Askira says:

Hi pls is there any posible way that i can block one number even they call me with hide number?

36. brian says:

more problems.
    how is it that i can receive a call from a mobile then 10 minutes later when i call it to find out who called me, find the number disconnected?