17 May 2012
By Gigi Silk
May
2012

HOW TO: set up an on-screen home button on iPhone

blog-iphone-home-button-banner

If you are a rampant iPhone user (like me) and have worn out your poor home button then I have a solution for you!

iPhone home button screenYou can add a little ‘accessibility’ button on the touch screen that can be used instead of your home button to stop you from jabbing at your phone every time you’d like to return to the main screen.

1. Go to ‘Settings’
  2. Scroll down and click on ‘General’
  3. Scroll down and click on ‘Accessibility’
  4. Scroll down and turn on ‘AssistiveTouch’

A little moveable button will appear on the side of your screen that you can now press instead of your home button to return you back to the main menu. Press and drag it around the screen to move it if it’s in your way.

Do you have any helpful iPhone tips or tricks? Do share if you do.
Related links:

1. Nina Zivkovic (Telstra Employee) says:

You can also create an app logo for websites. This is handy for websites you frequently visit (in my case the Chartered Accounting Blackboard)

1. Go into safari
    2. enter the website in the usual bar at the top of the page
    3. at the bottom of the safari app select the icon that has an arrow in a box
    4. from the drop down select “add to home screen”

This will make a logo on your iphone’s page and make easy access to websites you frequently visit.

• Brendan - [Your Community Manager] says:

Hi Nina. Thanks for the great tip. Not being and Apple user much. I take it this applies to iPod Touch? My kids have these and are often visiting them same websites.

• RaviRaju says:

Thanks Nina for providing great tips.

2. Hi Brendan,

Yes this would be applicable to both iPod touch and iPad.

Great tool by Apple but not many people know about.

3. Sue says:

Hi there

Great tip, but is this only for the iPhone 4S? I don’t have this option on my iPhone4.

Or is it linked to ios5? Which I also don’t have yet.

Cheers
    Sue

• Brendan - [Your Community Manager] says:

Hi Sue, I suspect it’s an ios5 thing. I’ll check with Gigi.

• Gigi says:

Hi Sue,

It’s available for both iPhone4 and iPhone4S (and earlier models) but you will have to update to iOS 5 to install it.

Hope this helps!

4. Lily says:

great, it’s available for iphone 3gs..cool. my home button seem very difficult to press when you use for a number of time

5. Dennis D'souza says:

Hey There,

Thanks for the great tip.
    Was looking for it for a quite a long time.

Cheers
    Dennis D

6. lauren says:

Thanks for the great tips!!
    almost gave up before this!!

7. Amol G says:

I was looking for the home screen shortcut since long…thanks for the tip. Started to luv more my 3gs.

8. Jacinta says:

This is a great help. However, is there a way to let your iphone know you dont want to use the original home button anymore? The reason I ask is because my home button thinks its being pressed all the time, causing it to go to voice control all the time, this on screen home button hasnt helped that at all. Please help!

• Gigi [Telstra Employee] says:

Hi Jacinta,

If you’re using a pre-Siri iPhone (eg one before the iPhone 4S) unfortunately voice control cannot be disabled.

However, you can restrict when it comes on. If you turn a Passcode Lock on turn off the Voice Dialer slide so that Voice Control doesn’t overwrite your phone being locked. This won’t solve the problem of it just randomly activating.

The other thing to do may be to go Settings > General > Accessibility > Home-click Speed (under Physical & Motor) and adjust that to the slowest click speed. Although I’m unsure if this will work.

If you’re using an iPhone 4S or 5 and would like to turn off Siri altogether simply go Setting > General > Siri > Off.

Good luck and hope this helps!

9. me says:

hi..there seems to be no accessibility option on my iphone.and my home button is busted :(

• Leigh Price (Blog Editor) says:

Oh no! If you can’t find the Accessibility menu in your Settings, it might be worth trying our CrowdSupport forum for help. It’s an option that I believe is on every iPhone so it’s hidden away there somewhere. :)

10. Anna says:

hi. my phone is 3gs why is that when i click accessibilty. there’s nothing there. its like an empty folder. it doesnt appear anything. and i wand t have the home button, can you help me please :)

• Gigi [Telstra Staff] says:

Hi Anna,

Thanks for the post :) This will be happening because your iPhone hasn’t been updated with the latest Operating System (iOS6). To upgrade this, you need to plug your phone into iTunes and download the latest update – it should come up automatically or you can select it from the iPhone tab in iTunes. I recommend backing up your iPhone BEFORE updating just in case so that there is no risk of losing any of your contacts or photos if things go haywire. To do this, when you plug your phone into iTunes, in the iPhone tab, click backup (and choose either backup to computer or backup to the Cloud). For more help, chat to our 24×7 Live Chat team via Facebook or Twitter (links are above) and they’ll be able to walk you through the process :)

11. Harris says:

Thank you sir, ive been looking for this but dont know what to look for until i found this. Cheers

12. Melissa says:

Thanks a bunch this was really helpful!

13. deep says:

thanks alot for your tips i just did that and came to work that icon as home button

14. Chen says:

Is there any way to go back home directly just press a “home touch” instead of pressing the assisstive touch? It will save much time.

15. emile says:

i hav an iphone4 and for some reason i cant update its iOS.. is there any way i can hav an on-screen home button..an app perhaps..tnx

16. Hayley says:

Hello, i have the iphone 3 and my home button is completely broken. and im trying to set up the on screen home button and theres nothing that says ‘Accessibility’ and Itunes says my phone is also up to date. what should i do?! help me please

• Jamie (Editor) says:

Hi Hayley, The iPhone 3G and 3GS only updates to iOS 4.2.1. Unfortunately the Assistive Touch option as it is only available on iOS 5 and up, so you won’t be able to set this up on your phone. If you take it to a repair store, you may be able to get the button replaced. You may also want to upgrade to a newer device. :)

17. Faheem says:

Thanks alot for giving me this tip. i love it

18. hammad says:

but in my iphone 3g
    accesibility option is blank ??????
    plz give me solution

19. David says:

Hi, is there any way to switch off the four options that pop up, and make the home button go to “home” immediately. That would be really helpful.

20. Kimberly L says:

I have an iphone 4 software ios 6.

My home button has been spoilt for some time now and I have been using the assistive touch menu as a “home” button. The home button is completely a hopeless case no matter how many times or hard I press on it.

However, my iPhone has gone completely crazy and turned Voiceover or siri on. It slows me down when im typing or doing anything on my iphone because it repeats every single thing I touch on my screen. Im unable to scroll up or down. And it is especially frustrating when Im in public and trying to type a message and it spells out the whole message :( Even when I have switched it to silent mode it stills continue yapping away :(

Im unable to turn off this voiceover because my home button is spoilt. Is there any way I can fix this? Please and thankyou.

21. Dreirof says:

Hola..That was a super nice tip, I was looking the app for that. Didnt know that was just there. Iphone 5 7.0.2 \thank a lot

22. Niko says:

Hi,
    I have an i-phone 4 and my home button doesn’t work very well. Do you guys know anyway to update on my mobile phone without upgrade it?

Cheers.
    Niko

23. Akarsh says:

Thanks a lot

24. Karolina Mata says:

Hello, this is really a great help, i didn’t thought that it’s just in the phone. Thanks a lot!

25. Adeel says:

Reali usefulll …. Thnkxx

26. sarah says:

tnx

27. Santosh says:

Thanks ………it was relay helpful

28. Shiva Kiran says:

Thanks Nina… It was really helpful.

i have a query, when the phone is in locked mode and if i get a cal from someone, i am unable to reject the cal?

do you have any solution for this

mine is iphone 5S.