27 Apr 2012
By Sunil Joseph
Apr
2012

Samsung Galaxy S II gets ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich)

Filed under: , ,

exchange-samsung-galaxy-s-2-mp

We have been eagerly awaiting for an ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) update and we are happy to announce it is out for the Samsung Galaxy S II. The Samsung Galaxy S II has been one of the most popular handsets on the Telstra network and we hope you enjoy this update.

30/04/2012 update
The OTA option was released over the weekend. If you have not already installed ICS on to your Samsung Galaxy S II and you would like to, click here to try it out

To get the update there are a few small steps you need to take:

1. First check what version of Android you currently have on your Samsung Galaxy S II.

[If the version is Android 2.3.3, you will need to update to 2.3.6 first before you can get the 4.0.3 update (ICS).]

Check your Android version on SGS2

To check your version of Android, simple do this from the homescreen:
1. Press the Menu button, under the bottom left hand side of the screen.
2. In the bottom right hand corner of the screen there should be a picture of a ‘Cog’ with the word “Settings” underneath it. Press this field.
3. Scroll to the bottom, there should be an “Information” symbol with the words “About Phone” next to it. Press this field.
4. There should be a field labelled “Android version”
5. Check if your version is Android 2.3.3 or Android 2.3.6

If you are using version 2.3.3, proceed to step 2. If you are using verison 2.3.6, proceed to step 3.

How to update SGS2

Update in progress

2. Android 2.3.3 users:

Let’s update to Android 2.3.6. This is really simple, just update OTA (Over The Air). Please make sure you are connected to a Wi-Fi network as the update package will not only be quicker to download but also reduce any bill shock.

i. To do this, simply navigate to the same section we did in Step 1.
ii. Instead of scrolling down to “Android Version”, at the very top there should be a field reading “Software Update”. Press this on your touchscreen.

iii. The first field should read “Update”, press this field. You may be asked to sign up for a Samsung Kies account to download the update. Simply enter in an email address and make sure you take note of the password you choose.

iv. The download should start and from here it should be an easy process to update to Android 2.3.6

3. Android 2.3.6 users:

You can update straight to Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich), but at the moment this is available only through Samsung’s software Kies. The OTA option is very close to being available and we do recommend this option as it will save all your user data. either through Kies or Over the Air (OTA). We recommend to use the OTA option for updating to ICS.

SGS II ICS notification

The over the air update is now available and is our recommended method of upgrading. Instead of connecting your phone to a computer, just connect your Galaxy S II to a Wi-Fi network and download the 200MB+ update file.

*While downloading and installing, check you have over 50% battery life and/or you are connected to a power source.

You may get a notification in the status bar of your screen, which will display two arrows diagonally. You can click on this notification to check for the update.

If you don’t get this notification you can go into your settings and press software update. Once you have done this you should get this notification.

Please ensure you are connected to a Wi-Fi network before pressing download.

The update should download and then prompt you to install the update.

During installation your phone will reboot and display the start up screen. Do not press any buttons until the install has finished and the phone has returned to the lock screen.

Samsung KIES update

A note from Samsung if you would like to update through Kies:
Samsung recommends that users backup all personal data stored on your mobile phone (including, but not limited to, Contacts, Calendar, SMS, Email, Photos, Apps, Audio, Video, Documents and any other personal data and files) to a compatible Computer or External Storage device prior to commencing the Kies update.

i. To update to ICS, simply connect your phone to your PC or MAC with Kies pre-installed.

ii. Kies should pick up your handset and from here you should be able to download the update and install this on to your phone.

Kies Update

Hope you enjoy your ICS update, don’t forget the Play Market should now show you more apps available for download.

Our favourite is the Chrome for Android Beta browser.

If you have any questions, why not check out the Crowd Support conversation we have brewing.

1. Jamie says:

If you want to see your sub-folders in exchange then while in email press the menu button and then select folders.

Now you will see the standard INBOX/SENT/DRAFT folders.

If you press the little icon next to inbox with the green arrow on it it will expand the folders below it. Folders below that which also contain sub-folders will be shown with with a little cross on them.

Hope this helps.

2. David says:

Since upgrading to ICS, I now get intermittent ‘muting’ on the handset when using the phone on speaker. People I speak with say the volume of my call drops and then they cannot hear me at all. Only way to address this is to come off speaker and back to hand-held.

Has anyone experienced this? Better still, anyone got a fix?

3. Blake Mumford says:

I recommend users not upgrade to 4.0.3. I’ve been using it for a few weeks now and found it to be a lot less stable than prior to update. E.g. phone frequently becomes unresponsive, Swype keyboard auto-suggestions fail to appear intermittently and overall performance feels sluggish.

4. mark says:

How do I change back to gingerbread, this so called upgrade has wrecked my phone.

5. Scott Magain says:

It’s kinda ironic that the upgrade to ICS came out not too long before the Samsung Galaxy S3 was due to be launched ..

6. David K says:

I am distrubed at the lack of response from Telstra and Samsung regarding the failure of the so called upgrade.
    Have they not heard of the new Australian Consumer Laws? Maybe we should start heading into Telstra shops and demanding new phones and compensation (of which we are entitled) because the phones are not fit for purpose?
    Why won’t Telstra or Samsung remedy this situation – or even acknowledge it?

7. Erin says:

I currently have the android verson 2.3.3 but when I click on software update-check for update I get an error message ‘connection failed’

I’m on wi-fi, I bought the phone from the Telstra shop,

any suggestions?

• Jason says:

Don’t upgrade, be thankful it doesn’t work. Read all these posts before you try again.

• Ian says:

…DO NOTHING!
      Anything you get is likely to stuff up the phone….
      and even though you bought the phone at a Telstra shop, you will get no help from them.

8. Seriously says:

Telstra you lost your chance..

If I cant send a simple email or use my data in the CBD why the hell would I want to get another smart phone or contract with you which is data dependent?

Im leaving your pathetic service just as quick as I did with my former provider and I hope everyone follows suit just like everyone left optus for poor reception. Then we will see you cry for customers just like optus. IF you only just listen to your customers..

9. Scott Magain says:

Update: I have just been back into the TechBar and the helpful chap has contacted the National Repair Centre to see if it’s possible to get hold of the genuine Telstra 2.3.6 ROM to see if it’s possible to downgrade from ICS back to GB. Fingers crossed.

10. Toni Hicks says:

I lost all my installed apps. It seems like they are still there as I only have the uninstall option in Google store but they have disappeared from the phone. I’ll be paying Telstra a visit and demanding some help in person.

11. Tim says:

It’s now late in June, almost July… Please, where is the much-awaited answer on ICS for the Samsung Galaxy A2 4G???

12. nick says:

Would be great to hear some news about the update for 4g users.

13. chris says:

Also keen on news for 4g s2. Paying more for a superior product and getting updates last is a bit poor.

14. Dave says:

How do you go back to Gingerbread. ICS is woefull on S2. But at least it has a restart button, and its getting plenty of use.

15. Dori says:

HI,

please can you help me becuase i dont know if i should manually upgrade my galaxy s2 GT-9100g to ics 4.0.3 ?

I am reding a lots of things and some people say yes some no,they say wait for officaly upgrade.

16. mark says:

If I had my time over again I wouldn’t update to ice again.

17. Justyn says:

I installed JellyBean (4.1.1) on my S2, and am quite impressed with the upgrade, even though it’s still an “experimental” build, it works well.

To comply with Telstra’s 3Rs Policy, I am both a Telstra Customer and a Telstra Employee.
    I AM NOT authorised to represent Telstra on these forums.
    For an official response, try twitter.com/telstra.

18. Alex says:

I too upgrade my samsung sii to ICS. The broblems I am having is that it freezers a lot and when I read a page on the web the stupid thing scrolls to the top and continues to do so. Agreed what Kane said. Is there a fix or a upgrade coming soon for all the problems us poor soles have.

19. Dori says:

Do you think it will be a automaticlly update to ics coming soon for galaxy s2 gt-9100g version?

20. Alex says:

Good question Dori, does anyone know, Telstra..?????

21. Alex says:

Telstra, are you there….hmmmm business as usual for Telstra I see, does not care about there customers.

22. stephen says:

i updated my samsung galaxy s2 to ics software and now i cannot send mms messages or upload to facebook, any help is much appreciated

23. Celia says:

Since updating my Samsung galaxy s2 android
    version, my phone app no longer has a contacts tab. How do I get it back? I really hate it as it is.

24. bec says:

I have tried to update my samsung S2 4G. tells me no update available but its not on ICS still on gingerbread. Also ive been having issues with mobile network, Ive got a wireless printer it was working fine… not my phone wont connect to it just says check ur mobile network settings… i have still cant work out the issue…… HELP…

• Mark says:

Two things -

First – The S2 4G release of ICS is not out yet, it’s due out soon.

Second – Wireless printing and Mobile Network are two different networks. Check that you have wireless network turned on and that it’s connected to your wireless network.

25. Anthony says:

HI. Can anyone advise when ICS will be available on the S2 4G?
    Thanks

26. bec says:

I know they r different but until the last update it all worked just fine I’ve made no changers to settings but after the last update it all changed.
    How long till the 4B gets ICS?

27. Karl says:

I am trying to update my galaxy s2 from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4 and i keep on geting this message when i go through Kies which is crap ‘failed to update firmware. Try again using pc software(Kies) or visit a samsung service centre” and when I try to update via over the air it doesnt work either. Does anyone know whats going on cos if I cant update anymore im throwing it in the bin and probably buying an iphone 5

28. neil says:

What is the release date if any update for the s2 4g got to say got the phone with the promise of Ics and it is still says it your website for new customers.. When?

29. nick says:

Still waiting for any kind of news relating to the S2 4g update… I even went to the telstra store today and they knew nothing about it.

30. Mark says:

The tragic thing is Telstra and Samsung build a custom rom for the S2 4G and they’ve failed Google certification. They should really not bother having their own custom rom with software which no one uses. If they want it, then they can get it from the Google play store like everyone else does.

Without the latest updates your network is suffering from inefficiencies. Not to mention any flaws in older Android OSes opens up your network to serious issues arising from insecurities.

You are not doing yourselves any favours in dragging your feet. Really you should be proactive with Google and Samsung to be ahead of the curve by being ready for the latest release before its announced.

I say you scrap ICS move onto the Jellybean update and fast track it.

31. Shari says:

What a decent blog post and certainly served to clear my brain somewhat

32. Cornelius says:

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to mention that I’ve really loved surfing around your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing on your rss feed and I am hoping you write once more soon!

33. graham says:

Please respond i need help ty

34. AlexB says:

The new ICS on the Samsung S24G has some intermittent issues.
    During incoming calls when using a bluetooth paired device the bluetooth will shut down.
    This then requries you to restart the bluetooth on the set, but even worse you need to power cycle the bluetooth device, which can be a pain if it is your car’s inbuilt handsfree unit.
    Some times when you make a call out the phone goes into headset mode and then freezes, especially if you do not have a headset configured….. This requires you to remove the battery to recover or wait 24 minutes for something to time out.
    I have foiund hte only way back to Guingerbread os to reload the original firmware (which you can find if you search the overclockers forum).
    The same Forum has an unoffical version of JellyBean for the phone, which runs a lot better and is more stable than ICS.
    Hopefully someone in Telstra will get advice from the correct people in Samsung/Android and go to JellyBean (officially) very soon.

AlexB

• Leigh Price (Blog Editor) says:

Alex, thanks for flagging this. I’ve passed on your comments to our device management team for further investigation.

35. graham says:

when dose sgs2 4g get ice cream sandwich or jellybean.