19 Apr 2012
By Nick Adams
Apr
2012

Telstra customers rewarded under new flybuys program

blog-flybuys-rewards-telstra-banner

We all know it’s nice to be rewarded sometimes – a bonus or freebie here and there is always a welcome surprise. With this in mind, I’m extremely excited to announce a bonus for Telstra customers shopping at Coles, Target, Kmart and Coles Express.

From Monday, Telstra customers will be able to earn flybuys points when they purchase selected Telstra Pre-Paid products, thanks to an alliance announced today with the new flybuys program.

We are excited to partner with flybuys which has been completely reinvigorated, offering members more choice and better value.

Our partnership will give our loyal Pre-Paid customers even greater value and reward them for choosing Telstra as their mobile provider.

Telstra Pre-Paid customers will earn points for every dollar they spend at Coles, Target, Kmart and Coles Express, which can be redeemed for a huge range of rewards from shopping to travel and accommodation.

LG Optimus Spirit Android smartphonePlus, as part of the program, customers can purchase a new Android Smartphone and earn 1000 bonus points all for under $50.

We love providing our customers with rewards that are valuable to them-whether it is using your points to reduce your supermarket bill or put them towards flights for an amazing family holiday, recharging with Telstra Pre-Paid will help customers enjoy a huge range of rewards faster- exciting news for all.

How does it work?

Telstra Pre-Paid customers will be rewarded with nine points for every $1 spent when they recharge their Pre-Paid service at Coles Supermarkets, BI-LO, Target, Kmart and Coles Express outlets until 22 July 2012. From 23 July, customers will earn three points for every $1 spent.

Telstra Pre-Paid customers who are flybuys members can enjoy:

• Telstra Pre-Paid Points: Until 22 July 2012, earn nine points for every $1 spent on your Telstra Pre-Paid Recharge at Coles Supermarkets, BI-LO, Target, Kmart and Coles Express. From 23 July 2012, customers will earn three points for every $1 spent.
  • Telstra Pre-Paid Bonus Points: Buy a $30 Telstra Pre-Paid recharge voucher at a Coles Supermarket checkout and pick up a free Telstra $2 SIM Starter Kit. Customers will also earn 1,000 flybuys bonus points upon activating the SIM card by 22 July 2012.
  • An exclusive mobile offer: Customers can purchase the LG Optimus Spirit Android smartphone for half price ($49.50), plus earn an extra 1,000 flybuys bonus points upon activating the included SIM card by 22 July 2012.

So get recharging with Telstra Pre-Paid and get rewarded with flybuys. and also check out the Telstra customers rewarded under new flybuys program Media Release.

1. Good to see Telstra are supporting flybuys again after the introduction of the Telstra Visa in 96.

• Nancy says:

Hi Adam,

When are where do I get the Android Smartphone and earn 1000 bonus points all for under $50 from?

And also will flybuys ever be given for our landlines?

Thanking you in advance for your reply.

2. Ray says:

Can someone from Telstra please explain why every deal and/or special offer is always related to pre-paid customers?

As a contracted Telstra customer I continually feel ripped off when I see these offers and know that I can’t participate.

• JB says:

Ray, I am in complete agreement with you. I am a loyal contracted customer with Telstra too, and it seems very unfair that we are exempt from such offers.

Telstra, why not support your loyal clients and open this offer to us.

• Brad says:

Why… because Telstra don’t want post-paid customers, that they have to bill and then wait for due dates before getting paid. They want their money up front, and when you run out of credit, your service stops. For them no more unpaid accounts, etc etc etc. So, as much as you think Telstra love you, as I am sure you’ve always paid on time, they’d love you even more if you were on pre-paid, and bought everything you need at Coles, then they (Telstra) don’t even need to pay credit card fees when you recharge. The cost of them re-joining flybuys is tiny in comparison.

• Amanda says:

Totally agree with you Ray. Post paid customers, should be able to be rewarded points for every dollar they are contracted to pay on their monthly bill!

• Aaron says:

True ‘dat, Ray!

What a joke! What about flybuys for plan/contract for mobile and internet? Nothing!

Look at Qantas/Optus combination on their rewards. Unbelievable. Can’t compare!

3. Mick Nicholls says:

I must agree with Ray on this one, its as if we loyal post paid customers don’t matter but then again having said this I can understand this time as we don’t pay our phone/broadband/mobile bills through Coles owned outlets and that’s how this one works at this time.

4. Karen says:

Why is it only prepaid customers are being given the opportunity to take part in the flybuys deal
    As a long time Telstra customer I feel disappointed that I can’t recieve the same benefits that a prepaid customer does

• Brendan O'Keefe - [Your Community Manager] says:

Thank you for your feedback. At this stage, the offer is limited to Pre-Paid customers in line with what can be purchased in Coles stores. We are always looking at new ways to reward our loyal customers and will keep you posted as we launch new and exciting offers.

• Ray says:

Brendan,

I really don’t believe a word of that, specifically “We are always looking at new ways to reward our loyal customers and will keep you posted as we launch new and exciting offers.”

Over the past 12 months I’ve seen quite a few offers from Telstra, all of which have been directed at pre-paid customers. There has been absolutely nothing for those on contracts… unless I’ve just happened to miss them all.

I’m not sure what your definition of ‘loyal’ is but clearly it’s different to mine.

• Kimberley says:

Well after being a loyal pre paid customer of Telstra for years for the coverage in rural Australia & paying exorbitant prices for calls as opposed to the cheap calls people on contracts were paying, I think it is nice that we are at last reaping some benefits & deals that contract people have been getting for years!

5. Jimny says:

Ah Telstra, the arse of all the jokes, if QANTAS and Optus can do deals on… wait for it…

ALL of Optus stuff plans (pre-paid/contract), then why can’t you? That’s why I love you so much, I decided to stay away from you.

Also, your stores are so SLOW, I had to wait for over 30minutes to get 2 pieces of paper to cancel my Uncles home phone because he passed away, while your “friendly” staff chatted about crap to customers while doing a contract, it takes me less then 10min to get it done at Allphones / Optus / telechoice, so why 30-40min in your stores?

• parso says:

mostly because it is making the service MORE PERSONAL. I don’t like Telstra too much either, but I would rather a store where I am spoken to. I can go to a supermarket to speak to drones

6. Pete says:

7. Mike says:

I agree with you Ray,

Sorry Brendan you guys have missed the boat on this one. Should have jumped on when Optus started giving away QFF points. Even .5 to the dollar is good value. I’m post paid for everything, mobile, landline and internet. New flybuys is pretty worthless for me.

8. Rob says:

I agree – why prepaid customers get the goodies.

Looking at what the Telstra’s arch rival’s offering: 2 points for every $1 on personal services. Why can’t Telstra match this!!!

Looks like Telsta can’t be bothered to keep loyal customers.

9. Cameron says:

Pre-paid again – sick of it Telstra, give something to your long term contracted customers, not just pre-paid.

10. David says:

If you’re on postpaid what’s to prevent you from buying this at Coles? Or is it an invitation only offer?

11. Pete says:

Where do I purchase the LG Android Smartphone and earn 1000 bonus points all for under $50 from?

12. Mal says:

what about all the other Loyal customers on contracts

13. Mike says:

Telstra account customers shud also be rewarded. Why go half way.

14. kathleen nott says:

hi there we purchased 2 of the LG Optimus mobile phones and we have activated them but checking our flybuys for how many points we haver we have not recieved the 1000 points for each phone can you tell me why we have not recieved these pointsd?

15. Scotty says:

As a pre paid customer can I use the credit on the new sim then port my existing number?

• Brendan - [Your Community Manager] says:

Hi Scotty. You can click to ‘Ask the Crowd’ in a forum or you can go through to our ’24/7 Facebook page’. There are two options to contact us here as these links get you straight through to people who can help – you’ve come through to our corporate blog here and I’d highly recommend using one of these new avenues to get directly in touch with Telstra about a specific product issue.

16. Dana says:

Getting something back for all my hassle and stress (like flybuys) would be great. I have been with Telstra for years now with my landline, internet and 2 mobiles. I spend over $350 a month and get nothing back. Nothing but a headache and unnessissary stress. I have come to learn today, after trying to get my online account sorted because it just happened to stop being connected to my login details and when I tried to reconnect it, I was told it’s connected to another login details, and my email bills changed to paper bills, my paper bill never arrived. I am now overdue and have an overdue fee. I tried to get my online account sorted but my phone, which I got thru Telstra has a temper, so cut me off. I have asked about upgrading my phone but every time get told, such and such a date next month. Next month never arrives. Every few months something happens which causes me to spend days on the phone trying to get it sorted. Yes, sometimes, we get a credit. But the stress because of “computer error” is all to regular and I’m seriously over it. And before you tell me to change companies, unfortunately, Telstra is the only 1 with coverage at my husbands work. SORT IT OUT TELSTRA!!!!!!!!!!

17. pam says:

yes why do prepaid clients receive points only? Frequent flyers reward you with points with Optus whether prepaid or account payer.
    Regards
    Pam

18. Nicola says:

Can’t we just link our Telstra account with flybuys like AGL do. We have our landline, foxtel and internet with you.

Come on, play the game, I’m a loyal customer too.

19. Laureen says:

Totally agree that post paid, on contract Telstra Customers should be able to link Flybuys the same way as AGL.

20. Randell says:

Maybe they are scared it would cost them too much, post paid customers spend way more and are too loyal to receive rewards !

21. Monsta says:

To those questioning why this offer is available only to prepaid customers, its simple logic really;
    - available at coles target & kmart.
    You don’t pay your bills at any of these places, you can however buy any number of prepaid recharges / starter kits.
    Much like every other thing you purchase at these stores, you can earn points for spending.

And as to the claims of pre paid customers getting the best deals, this is just a little bit ridiculous. To name a few “dollar value” benefits unavailable to pre paid mobile customers over the last 12 months;
    - $300 welcome credit for mobile port in.
    - $10 monthly mobile combo reward.
    - $10 monthly wireless broadband combo reward.
    - $20 monthly wireless broadband benefit.
    - the potential to save hundreds in calls every month with family calls benefit.

And I’m sorry but you pay the money on your bill for the services you use, and in this case the service you are getting is undisputedly the best network in the country, paying your bill every month doesn’t make you special, i don’t know where people get such a sense of entitlement.

• Kelly says:

Then why does AGL do it? Every dollar i spend with AGL i get points, I don’t have to go to those stores to do that i just have money go into my AGL account each week and i get points for all of it. So what you’re saying doesn’t make sense if AGL can do it so should Telstra.

• Gigi [Telstra Staff] says:

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your comments – at the moment the partnership only exists between our Pre-Paid customers and Flybuys, I will pass your feedback on to our partnerships team.

22. Kelly says:

I have a contact with Telstra for our phone and internet, I pay $90 a month on time yet i don’t recieve flybuys points, That’s disgusting Telstra! I am an AGL customer and every dollar i spend with them i get flybuys points, It’s fantastic to see there is some companies taking care of their loyal customers unlike you telstra!

23. Margery Robertson says:

My husband and i have just signed up for a new telstra package deal Tbox ,hub phone etc with joining our telstra mobile and home phone bills together taking out new mobile plans and receiving new mobiles does this come into the recent advertisement for 10,000 flybuy bonus points.

• Ian [Telstra Community Manager] says:

Hi Margery,
      This particular program relates to pre-paid customers. So unfortunately would not apply to your new package.

24. Todd Barry says:

can you get flybuys for plans that you are on ? i have 2x$80 plans that i should be able to get flybuys for.

• Ian [Telstra Community Manager] says:

Hi Todd,
      As mentioned above this program is for pre-paid. It does not relate to post paid plans.

25. Brendan says:

so, Telstra prepaid customers get flybuys points for getting anew phone? lol, is that supposed to be a joke, we were told we would get 2,500 flybuys points for buying a certain phone in april/may, and if we got it by the 26th or 28th of may( icant remember the exact date), by 28 days after this date late in May, we would have 2,500 flybuys points. NOT happening, who do you trust?

26. Margot says:

I enjoy what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work and exposure!

Keep up the wonderful works guys I’ve included you guys to
    blogroll.

27. Di says:

Yeah it’s about time plans got some benefits !!!!!!!!!!