09 Jan 2012
By Sarah Lawry
Jan
2012

App of the Week: SwiftKey X

blog-app-of-the-week-swiftkey-android-app-banner

When I get a text saying ‘were r u im waiting 4 tgat coffee’, I lose my mind.

I’m a stickler for grammar and yes, that extends to sending grammatically correct text messages too. Before pressing ‘send’ on an SMS, punctuation is a must and spelling a no-brainer, but unfortunately I don’t always have the patience to battle with that tiny virtual keyboard.

So, here’s how SwiftKey X – a keyboard app for Android phones that works whenever you type – has changed my texting life. I can hit practically anywhere on the keyboard and somehow it deciphers what I want to say. ‘Ghznks giv yjsy’ becomes ‘Thanks for that’ like magic!

App of the Week: SwiftKey X Ok so predictive text has been around a while and isn’t that exciting I know, but this little app also knows things like ‘for’ often follows ‘thanks’ and adds missing apostrophes and spaces after commas. Genius!

It writes for me too which is clever, but unfortunately not always accurate. I tested this functionality by giving it the first word of a message and letting it choose the rest, here’s what I got: ‘If you have any nail polish I can borrow? I am a beautiful person.” Admittedly, I did send a friend a message asking for nail polish a week ago, but the beautiful person thing, albeit very flattering, was all SwiftKey X’s idea.

According to my stats, since using SwiftKey X four days ago, I am 32 percent more efficient at typing, I’ve saved 3,143 keystrokes and it’s corrected 1,089 typos.

There is one downfall to the app that has made me want to throw my phone against a wall. If I forget the app automatically puts a space after a full stop and accidentally insert the space myself, which I regularly do, it assumes I’ve accepted its next word and starts my new sentence for me with ‘I’ or ‘The’. Granted, this isn’t the end of the world and my phone probably doesn’t deserve to be smashed for it, but it is annoying.

It’s not the most exciting app in the world, but it definitely makes life easier. If you know of another little gem like this one, I’d love to hear about it.

1. Thanh Ha says:

I’ve been using this and Swype for the past few weeks, not sure which one I like best yet.

Have you used Swype? What are your thoughts?

2. Sarah says:

Hey there,

I used Swype for a few weeks before trying out this one but couldn’t figure out the double letters so gave up on it. That was its biggest downfall for me!

3. Will says:

I’ve been using swype for over a year now, love it! as for the double letter, you just do a little loop/circle in the middle of your traced path on the letter you want doubled. its in the inbuilt swype tutorial! =P

4. Tim McMahon of [Telstra Employee] says:

It’s great that there’s a couple of predictive swipe-like keyboards to choose from with varying levels of customisation. :-)

I’ve SlideIT and SwiftKey X but I don’t really have an gripes to move away from Swype.

I’d personally convert a text message like “were r u im waiting 4 tgat coffee” into “up for coffee now?” because it’s inefficient to resort replacing numbers with words with a predictive keyboard.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I received “wat u up 2 tnght?” from a friend using a typical mobile keypad with a 160 character limited SMS. It’s faster to type and they’ve peace of mind that their message wont be counted as two SMS’s. On the other hand, there’s no excuse if they’re using Swype and Google Talk on their Android handset…

Tim.

5. Sarah says:

Ah I never look at tutorials. I’ll try out this loop/circle technique for sure. I was just holding it on the letter for longer and wondering why it didn’t work. Thanks Will!

6. Rob says:

I find that Smart Keyboard Pro suits my needs – mostly because it “feels” faster than SwiftKey (which I like very much) and because it doesn’t put darn spaces or punctuation in automatically!