27 Jun 2011
By Andrew Volard
Jun
2011

Telstra to launch the HTC Sensation

sensation-header

We’re delighted to confirm that Telstra will bring the Android™-powered HTC Sensation smartphone to Australia.

This epic multimedia smartphone is HTC’s flagship and will launch exclusively on the Telstra Next G® network in July.

HTC Sensation
It comes with a lightning-fast 1.2 gigahertz dual core processor which enables gorgeous graphics, quick web browsing and all-around fast performance.

The phone is built around a stunning 4.3-inch qHD display that supports high-resolution video, web browsing and gaming. Combine this with in-built Hi-Fi audio and virtual surround sound and the HTC Sensation is set to be Australia’s ultimate multimedia smartphone.

HTC Sensation will run the latest Android™ 2.3 operating software which provides access to more than 150,000 apps and games in Android Market™.

The Sensation is constructed from premium materials including contoured glass edging, distinct metallic speaker grills and an aluminium unibody.

We can’t wait to make it available to our customers.

To register your interest to be amongst the first to receive information about HTC Sensation on the Next G® network, visit: Telstra’s Expression of Interest form

HTC Sensation Key Features:

• Android™ 2.3 (Gingerbread) with HTC Sense 3.0
• 4.3-inch qHD touch screen with 540 x 960 resolution
• 1.2 GHz dual-core processor
• 8 megapixel camera with auto focus and dual LED flash
• 1080p HD video recording
• 1GB of internal phone storage. Memory expandable up to 32GB with a MicroSD card (8GB card included).

1. Ben says:

Me wanty. Gimme.

2. Nathan says:

How about some firm news on the Galaxy S 2?

3. Graham mitchell says:

And how long can we expect the battery to last with moderate to heavy usage? Will it be a truly ‘mobile’ phone or will it require the loving attention of a charger every 4-6 hours?
    Until HTC significantly improve their cell technology, I wouldn’t touch one with a barge-pole.
    Even a special phone-charging barge-pole…

4. John Boxall says:

Argh – too many temptations… I was all set to get a Xoom and now you announce the Sensation. Decisions…

5. Jee says:

Yes but how is the battery life? I love my HTC but the battery lets them down. Please tell me it’s better or that they include a second spare for free !! 8 )

6. Kanishka says:

Like the iPhone 4 or the Samsung Galaxy S ii, will the handset work on all Australian 3G frequencies – i.e UMTS or HSDPA 850, 900 and 2100?
    or will the handset be limited to the Telstra Next G Frequency – UMTS 850.
    If I ever leave the Telstra network, will the handset work on the 3G frequencies of other Australian carriers?

7. podge says:

and how much on contract? this will be ridiculously expensive with Telstra.

8. Ade says:

I believe battery life is as follows:

Stand-by Up to 350 h (2G) / Up to 400 h (3G)
    Talk time Up to 8 h 20 min (2G) / Up to 6 h 40 min (3G)

Is that good?

9. spatch says:

This is SUCH great news. Telstra has really turned a corner this year, announcing & releasing every single smartphone I have been hoping for. I thought Telstra had become gun-shy about large screened smartphones after the lukewarm response to the HTC HD2, but with the Atrix and now the Sensation, I am really thrilled I decided to stay on Australia’s premier mobile network.

10. Kevin P says:

This article is 99% advertising and 1% new information.
    It’s nice to know the dual core is coming, but there is one important piece of info missing here.
    Is the phone going to be subsidised (and what is the minimum Plan)?
    The current Plans border on false advertising because they say “$0″ but the phone cost is extra per month.
    While you dont pay an up front amount for the phone, it is misleading.

Btw, is the HTC Incredible S coming to Telstra?

11. Glenn C says:

Will this be the 4G compatible version or only 3G?

I think for 4G it needs the 1800 MHz band as well as the 850 MHz as a fallback to 3G when 4G is unavailable

12. spatch says:

Please don’t be confused by the “4G” madness in the States — this phone is only designed to be compatible with HSPA+ networks. The 1800 MHz GSM band in the US belongs to T Mobile who are releasing this phone, and they like to call HSPA+ 4G, but it’s really just like Telstra’s NextG network. AT&T are doing the same things with their phones. The onlytrue 4G networks in the US are the WiMax network on Sprint, and the LTE network on Verizon, and this phone won’t work in either.

When Telstra finally rolls out it’s LTE network it will truly be a 4 G network, but alas this phone will be long out of date before then.

13. Chris says:

Gee I hope I didnt jump ship too early changing from my Desire to the Atrix. This looks exciting.

14. Christian says:

Andrew,
    I have a HTC sensation (brought from Hong Kong) and I am using with my corporate Telstra SIM.
    The HTC Sensation can access the following networks;
    HSPA/WCDMA:
    Europe/Asia/T-Mobile US: 900/AWS/2100 MHz
    Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:
    850/900/1800/1900 MHz

But I dont think this is the Telstra NextG (I believe UTMS 850).

Please can you help clarify what Telstra networks I can access. Ideally I would like to take advantage of Telstras NextG network. Thanks.

• John Boxall says:

You need a new handset to access NextG, one that uses UMTS 850 Mhz. Currently you can access the Telstra 2.5G network and their 3G 2100 MHz however this is not an optimum solution.

15. matt says:

Samsung i9100 please!!

16. peter says:

spatch how can you say telstr is a premiere carrier as far as smart phones are concerned they are the last to release any of them ie the samsung galaxy 2 which has been out for now over a mnth with other carriers and even now they can even give us an exact release date or what there expensive pricing will be and believe me everythink with telstra and there plans are expensive and they call them selkves no 1 well i dont think so..lol you must be getting commission from them spatch to say such nice things or you work for them…lol

• spatch says:

Hilarious.

I will happily admit that I did work for Telstra up until 2003, however I have remained a customer ever since not out of some misplaced sense of loyalty, but for the following reason:

* Telstra’s 850MHz HSPA+ NextG network offers THE best coverage of any telco in this country, and there is no disputing that fact.

You can argue all you want about their apparent lack of customer service, but I could offer reasons to dispute that too, like their recent decision to throttle mobile data rather than continue to bill customers insane overage charges. Or how about the upgrade to all home ADSL services — my monthly limit just went from 25GB per month to 100GB per month, and all for the same price.

The mobile landscape is in constant flux, and no one is giving out any prizes for being the first to release the Galaxy S II. Other carriers could simply import that handset directly from Europe as is, but Telstra will always have to wait for a version that operates on the superior 850MHz spectrum.

If that means that Optus customers get to enjoy a smartphone for a few months before I can, then so be it. At least I can rest comfortably in the knowledge that when I do get the phone I will at least be able to receive calls indoors. That’s more than Optus customers can say!

• podge says:

hey spatch

I believe that the Galaxy SII is already quad-band for data (850MHz) so any of these phones already on sale here in Oz will work on Next G…. I don’t know why Telstra is delaying this phone but it’s not because they’re waiting for a “special” version (mare likely because they’re having their custom bloatware added)..

• Antony says:

Optus paid Samsung to have exlusive rights on the Samsung Galaxy 2.

Telstra paid HTC for HTC Desire, Desire S, Sony for the Xpiria Neo and Motorola for the Defy and Atrix

Telstra’s deal on the Moto Defy has ended now optus sell it, when Optus’ deal with Samsung end, Telstra will sell the Galaxy S 2.

Got it? yes, good, on we go!

• Gregory Bradley (Telstra Employee) says:

Podge:
      “I don’t know why Telstra is delaying this phone but it’s not because they’re waiting for a “special” version”

Many of you have asked why Telstra has released the Galaxy SII a little later than the competition. One of the reasons is that Telstra rigorously tests smartphones before they are launched onto our network. That means that our phones are not just compatible with our 850Mhz Next G® network – they’re optimised to run on it.

As a general rule Telstra puts new smartphones through three test cycles. We do this because we know you expect the best from your new purchase. We’re told by handset manufactures that it’s one of the most complete testing regimes anywhere in the world. At the conclusion of each test cycle we ask our vendor partners to resolve any significant issues identified. These improvements eventually comprise a Next G®-optimised software package that runs the phone. Sometimes it will also result in hardware changes.

As a result of Telstra testing, a number of improvements will appear on the Telstra variant Samsung Galaxy SII. These include:

•Better UMTS 850 RF sensitivity reducing instances of call drops and improved data speeds. This was achieved by asking Samsung to tune the calibration of the antenna based on Telstra’s test results.
      •Improved UI performance/responsiveness.
      •Improved data throughput rates when used as a tethered modem on some operating systems
      •Improved attachment handling when using the e-mail client.
      •Improved stability when used as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

• Tony says:

Because Peter, Telstra was sued a few years ago because of a glitch in the software of a smart phone. Ever since Telstra rigorusly tests any software that is deployed on any phones it sells. Would you prefer buggy software?

17. pete says:

Hi guys, will we get a launch date tomorrow for the HTC Sensation?

18. William says:

Ok its killing me, not waiting anymore, jumping ship to Optus for the GS2! doubt Telstra will care anyway

19. Ronnie says:

GROW UP! ….You sound like kids.
    Want the best, you pay for. A million samy S2′s don’t grow on trees. You wait for your birth day so wait for your chose of phone. I can remember when the only people who had a phone in the house were the local doctor and copper.

20. HTC Australia and Telstra are hosting a sensational evening with The Vines in Sydney next week for the launch of the HTC Sensation on the Telstra Next G® network.
    There are 100 double passes to give away through Facebook. Who wants in? Head through to the link for more details.

21. Matt says:

Brendan, is there going to be a Telstra launch ‘party’ for the Galaxy S2 which I anticipate has a much stronger following than the HTC Sensation?

22. Aim2xl says:

Has there been any more details about the date for release?
    Registered my interest on the website, and not heard a single word from Telstra since. What gives?

23. hank says:

I decide between HTC Sensation and Motorola Atrix. Thank you for information.

24. Brandon says:

Can you get this phone on Pre-Paid?