04 May 2011
By Michael Lewis
May
2011

First Look at the Telstra EasyCall 2 Mobile – Enhanced but still easy!

blog-telstra-easy-call2-image-banner

Next G® version here for Mother’s Day

In May 2010, I reviewed the Telstra EasyCall® mobile – and stressed this 2G handset was a great phone for elderly members of your family. The phone was very popular and sold out well before demand had been satisfied.

The feedback we received was welcomed, and in a lot of cases, taken on board, as is obvious in the latest – Next G® version of the Telstra EasyCall®.

First and foremost – the Telstra EasyCall ®2 is a Blue Tick handset, which means it provides great coverage performance across the entire Next G® network and is available on Pre-Paid.

The screen is bigger (1.8”) and colour (versus the previous model’s 1.65” mono screen).

Still present are:

• big buttons and large screen font for easy dialling,
  • audible key tones that speak to you when you dial the numbers
  • a quick access switch to contact friends and family
  • T-Coil hearing aid compatibility

There are four easy access points on the side of the Telstra EasyCall 2:

1. Flashlight

I love the flashlight feature. I’ve lost count how many times I have fumbled around in the dark looking for something that could have been found in seconds with this bright light. A simple switch located on the top right hand side of the handset turns the flashlight on or off.

2. Lock/unlock

Beneath the flashlight switch is another great feature – a slide lock/unlock switch. Say goodbye to “pocket calls” with this feature. Simple but effective.

3. FM Radio Switch

As with the previous Telstra EasyCall, the built-in FM radio does not require the attachment of a wired headset to act as the antenna. The FM radio is activated by sliding the switch towards the top of the phone, and utilises the Telstra EasyCall 2’s speakers to deliver clear sound.

4. Volume

You can adjust the volume with the rocker switch located above the FM Radio Switch.

Speaking of volume, when you turn the volume down to the lowest level (effectively volume off), you get a red crossed out speaker icon appearing on the top right hand side of the screen – as a great visual reminder as to why your phone is silent.

In Call Volume adjustment

The “0” key provides access to adjusting the in call volume. If you find the other party is too loud or too soft, hold the “0” key to set the volume to the desired level.

Charging

The charging lead is keyed and will only fit one way. The Telstra EasyCall 2 can be charged in the On or Off state.

Auto Power On/ Power Down

Ever gone to your phone in the morning to find the battery flat? Annoying isn’t it. Well with the Telstra EasyCall 2, you can reduce the risk of this happening by setting an automatic power on and power down time.

Other handy settings

EasyCall 2 Mobile – Enhanced
I found the OrganiserAlarms/Reminders function quite feature rich for a “basic” phone. Set an annual birthdays and important date reminders, Medication Reminder (daily – name and time), or wake up alarms as required. A very handy feature that will be well used.

Keeping the best until last………. “The Switch” – Personal Alarm Settings

A key feature of the Telstra EasyCall 2 is the alarm switch – affectionately known as “The Switch”. The Switch is located on the back of the handset – easily identified as it is the only red switch on the back! It can be programmed to make a call and / or send an SMS to friends or family simultaneously.

Through the Settings menu, you identify a phone number, then up to three SMS numbers. Then define the message you want sent – for example – “Please help, I’ve had a fall” ; “Going to the shops, back home in an hour”; etc.

I set my mobile number up as both the call and SMS contact, with a “please call” message. When I activated “The Switch”, an audible alarm (quite noticeable in the office) sounded for 5 seconds, then my mobile rang, and an SMS appeared on the screen with the message “Please Call”.

This feature alone makes the Telstra EasyCall 2 a phone to consider for elderly parents or loved ones.

Telstra EasyCall 2 Features

• Network UMTS: 850mHz
  • GSM: 900/1800mHz
  • Dimensions 109mm x 50.8mm x 13.5mm
  • Weight 86.1g
  • Screen 1.8”
  • Talk Time Up to 180m
  • Standby Time Up to 300 hours
  • Additional Features Dedicated alarm/SMS/Call switch
  • Dedicated FM Radio Switch
  • In built torch
  • Dedicated keypad lock/unlock side switch
  • 3.5mm Audio Headset Jack
  • Calculator, organiser, alarm

Available from Telstra stores and partners

Related links:

1. Gregory Opera says:

This is an awesome idea!

Will there be a pre-paid variety of this? I’d be perfect for my (seven year old) son to carry around…

2. Michael Lewis says:

OOOPS……just goes to show you can’t teach an old dog new tricks! The Telstra EasyCall 2 is a prepaid phone – for $99.

Thanks for picking this up.

3. Leif says:

Yes it is only available as a prepaid .. $99 i think the price is.

4. marcus says:

When will phone be available for Telstra post-paid plans?

5. Bernie says:

Can you null the Keypad audio without losing the Ringtone as well ?, the beeping keypad is annoying !

• Mark Ereira says:

Hi Bernie,
      If you still have this problem, I also found the keypad sounds both annoying to myself and others,and I have successfully over come that problem as follows: go to settings, Audio Profiles, Personalise,Tone Setup, then Keypad Tone, then off.Hope this helps, Regards Mark.

6. Marcus says:

Despite being told you cannot use a post paid sim and then having to cancel my plan with associated high fees to change to pre paid, you can simply use you existing post paid sim. Disappointing the outsourced service man in Manilla who barely spoke English and on a woefully scratchy IP line didn’t know this.

7. mark ereira says:

Brendan can you please tell me if the letter fonts are also large?
    as this would be great for reading and sending text messages

Regards Mark.

8. mark ereira says:

Thank you Brendan, much appreciated.

Regards Mark.

9. mark ereira says:

Brendan, I just wish to acknowledge my appreciation for a great service and the trouble you took in looking after me.

Sincere regards, Mark

10. Marcus says:

Does anyone know if there is any sort of after-market cover/case/pouch for this phone?

11. Lynn Morgan says:

Well designed phone excellent coverage with G3. Thanks Mark for the advice in stopping the audio voice announcing every number it is good to have that as an option

• mark ereira says:

Thanks Lynn, a pleasure, I agree with your sentiments, a great phone, I also set mine on hands free, and do not have to hold phone next to my ear, great letter size for texting, great sized pad, I love this phone, was glad I stopped the duck quacking sounds from key board,lol,

12. Kirsten Blichfeldt says:

Does “T-coil compatibility” mean that the phone has a telecoil and that you can just flick a switch on the hearing aid to be able to hear the phone? Or does it mean that you need a cord from the phone to the hearing aid? (Not smart on a mobile).

13. mark ereira says:

Hi Brendan,
    I had also wondered exactly where or what this hearing facility entailed, and I found your input as usual to be very helpful, and I thank you for your ongoing efforts and wonderful service that you have always given us. The phone itself has been a boon for me, loud and clear, very easy to use, and the Font sizes for messaging is by far the best I have used, great and perfect for us that have been around the block a few times.

14. Linda wong says:

Is this phone locked to a network as I am thinking if it is viable to buy one for my mum in nz.

15. mark ereira says:

Roxby says:
    14 Aug 2011 at 10:01 am

Hi Mark could you find out about the letter font size?

Roxby I had checked that same query with Brendan who was as always very helpful, and his advice then was aprox font size 12-14, I use the phone, and the text font size is very good and also very easy to read, this is an excellent seniors phone.
    Regards Mark.

16. peter says:

hi, could you tell me if the wallpaper can be changed over to something else? does it have bluetooth or pc conxn for this to occur?
    thanks
    pedro

17. Hilarie Howard says:

I like the phone but it only rings for four or five seconds. By the time I have it out of my bag I have a missed call.
    How do I extend the number of rings?
    I have read the book carefully but cannot find this info.

18. Clare Coleman says:

How do you fit the provided strap to the Easycall 2?

• Tony B says:

You take the back off and look for a tiny hook near the edge on the side with the lock and torch switches. Hook the lanyard loop over and lead out through the adjacent hole. Replace the back.

19. Clare says:

Don’t worry – I figured it out.

20. Roy says:

Fantastic phone, best I have ever owned.

21. Mark says:

Does it have bluetooth or why can’t I find the speakerphone?

• Mark Ereira says:

Hi Mark,
      I believe the speaker phone is related to the hands free facility it is what I use, go to (1) settings,(2)press OK, (3)go to call set up, (4)press OK, (5) no.7 Handsfree, (6)press OK (7) press On, (8) press OK.

Hope this helps, note it is really loud, and I do not have to put the phone to my ears, do not forget that you have a volume slide on the top left side of the phone. let me know how you go. regards Mark (also)

• Possie says:

When you are in a call you can select Option that appears on the screen and the first one listed is HF on – for Hands Free. It isn’t in the manual that I can find. There is the documented way to have it on all the time (which I didn’t want), and also the call made by the Switch is on Loudspeaker.

22. bert says:

big text and easy to use. great idea. so i grabbed one for my mother.
    its set up and making/recieving calls fine. and recieveing texts but for some reason its failing to send texts, they fail to send then just sit in the outbox.
    haven tried the emergency button yet.
    what am i missing?

• mark ereira says:

Hi Bert, I have this phone, to make and send text, I do the following. 1. go to menu, then to Messages 2. press OK 3, press OK No1. write message. 3.write your message. 4.press OK.
      5. then send only, or save and send. 6.press OK.then then there will be large curser in box (left hand top corner has a small (To)
      7. press Search, and your contact list will come up. put first letter or two name required, number will come up. 8. press OK.
      9.press OK and message will be sent.

Bert hope this helps, let me know. Regards Mark Ereira.

• Kathleen says:

I bought one of these phones for my mother for Christmas.
      We had the same problem with sending texts. The Telstra support line said that it takes up to 24 hours for all features to be activated after the phone has been set up. When we tried again the texts worked.
      I found the support line to be very helpful with answering my questions.
      I tried to find a cover for the Easycall but have not been able to do so. Does anyone know where to buy one?

• Ian says:

Hi Bert if you are stil having trouble sending texts go to -MENU> MESSAGES> SETTINGS> SMS SETTINGS> SMS CENTRE NUMBER should be +61418706700. If this Number is not on this screen . add it and enter OK. Turn off the phone take out the SIM/BATTERY and wait about 10 seconds – put back together. Try to send a text now ! I am sure this will work for you Cheers Ian

23. Bert says:

Thanks for that Mark.
    That is exactly what we’ve been doing.
    Tried it again another few times.
    Result was “failed to send” each time and the message just sat in the outbox.
    Do you have any other ideas or things for us to try?
    Thanks. Bert

• mark ereira says:

Hi Bert,
      Sounds really frustrating!! 3 things come to mind, reset phone,
      ring technical support, or if there is a Telstra shop close by? if they cannot fix it then they will have to fix the phone.

best of luck, kindest regards, Mark.

• bert says:

hello Mark,

after being away for 5 weeks finally managed to have another look at the phone.
      anyway it seems the SMS centre number within message settings had dissapeared (been deleted by mistake?).
      anyway, i have put in the same number as from my nextg prepaid phone and it is now sending sms’s.

does this sound OK – can you advise what the SMS centre number should actually be?
      thanks
      Bert

24. Doug says:

Does it have blue tooth?
    How good is it in country regions away from towns

25. Joe says:

Does the phone allow the user to dial a preset phone number by just pressing on one of the keypad numbers?

thanks

JOe

26. Lynne says:

Can someone tell me how many numbers can be stored in the Phonebook please…

• Rod says:

Hello Lynne.

Go to ‘Phone Book’ > then scroll down to box [7].

It should say ‘Memory Status’.

Click on that and a figure will come up on the screen.

In my case it read as follows.

Phone: 173/500

(U)SIM:0/500

The phone itself can store 500 numbers.

But if your clever you might be able to double that number.

You do that by adding a second phone number under the one listing.

EG : I add a new contact ‘Fred Dagg’ to my phone.

It asks me for his number. You will see that under that new contact will be an option for a second number.

I am betting that : that way you will be able to squeeze even more numbers into this little phone.

Cheers

Rod

27. Possie says:

Is there any way to get back to the Standby screen when you have been going down some menus other than just Back Back Back etc?

28. Rod says:

Does anyone know how to set the phone up so that I can use & hear the ringing tones (for when calls & texts are received)….but without the quacking key funtion being on at the same time ?

Rod

29. dave says:

could someone comment how to read old sms messages please

30. Very happy customer says:

To get old messages: go to menu press down to messages and pick ‘inbox’ click green ok nessages show up open the message hit option and it lets you delete it or you can just read it etc.

To turn off the key pad sound – go to menu and choose ‘Settings’ and then ‘audio profiles’ and personalise – choose ‘tone set up’ and you can adjust the volume there to zero or just low.

31. Kathleen says:

I help manage this phone for my elderley mother. There are three problems my mother has with this phone. 1. There are too many key presses to do anything. 2. Volume-The ring tones are not loud enough and she has trouble hearing people on the phone. 3. There are not enough speed dial slots available. Two of the nine are taken up with message bank numbers which are of no use to my mother.

32. Trish says:

Love most of the features but I can’t find an answer to Hilarie’s query about how you can extend the number of rings so that you don’t miss a call. Also having a problem with the back cover and consequently the lanyard falling off very easily in my handbag- annoying!

• Rose says:

I’ve been waiting for a reply to this as well. Extending the number of rings seems to be too hard for Telstra to answer or do for you. I have spent over $30 of credit phoning telstra reps who don’t know what they are talking about. So several months later my husband and I continue to lose calls all the time. We’ve sticky taped the back cover to stop it constantly falling off and we’ve given up on the lanyard.

33. Trish says:

Thanks Brendan
    It’s not that I’m that slow – I just have a very deep and crowded handbag! I bet the lanyard is still in there somewhere…

34. Helen says:

Hi Brendan how do I set up the quick access key. and audible alarm?
    If I disable message bank will it free up 2 more speed dial keys?

35. Pat says:

Have had phone for couple of months and suddenly in past week will not send text messages. After attempting to send, failed to send message keeps coming up. Help please

36. Arthur says:

My EasyCall 2 was working fine up until a few days ago and now will not send SMS. I can make calls and received SMS and have reset to factory settings, taken the battery out , etc. Can anyone tell me what the SMS centre number is supposed to be or how to fix this problem?

• Hi Arthur. Sorry to her about your phone’s SMS issue. The best way to contact Telstra for a service/product query is to click onto the ‘Ask the Crowd’ or go to our 24/7 Facebook page on the top right hand side of our blog where you’ll be directly linked to one of our online customer support consultants. This is the most efficient way to get someone to look into your account.

37. Sheila says:

Just bought this phone and I love it! All I wanted was a straightforward phone…..not a camera/computer/satnav etc.
    It’s incredibly simple to set up, and beautifully easy to use.

38. Summer says:

I there a shower proof pendant version available that is NOT linked to a landline dialler. The elderly person I am assisting has one of these mobile phones but needs a shower proof mobile phone based pendant. She has a land line based pendant but there is no protection if Telstra land line goes out. I have found an AT & T one in USA, but nothing in Australia so far.
    Thank you.

39. Lorraine says:

Can you please tell me how I can get incoming calls with the keypad locked. When I ring the easycall mobile from a landline I am told the mobile is unavaliable.

40. David says:

Hi

Will it send a group TXT? (easy call 2 mobile Ph)

thx

41. Peter says:

Hello where does the internal antena run Picture if possible Cheers Peter

42. anthonie says:

We have the first Easycall™ and we would like to know if it is possible to install your own ringtone on either the old or the new Easycall™./ If so , how to do this?

43. Joe KUBIK says:

My wife and I use mobile phones mainly for security and at shopping centers to contact each other when we split up.These places are noisy and mostly my wife misses lot of the calls because she can’t hear the phone ring in her handbag.I would like to buy for us these Telstra Easycall 2 phones but would like to know whether the ring tones on them are louder than on the normal phones.Can someone advise me,please?

• Az [Telstra Community Manager] says:

Hi Joe,
      You’ve stumped me! Anyone out there have any ideas?

I’d suggest you drop at note to our 24×7 LiveChat team and see if they know more about ringtone volumes.
      Cheers
      Az

• Mark Ereira says:

Yes I have found the phone to be quite loud and audible I have had the easycall 2 gave it to my partner,

and now currently have the Easycall 3

44. Rez says:

Hi there, just purchased this phone today and I’m struggling to find out more info in regards to the ALARM settings.

With most other phones, you’re able to setup an alarm and choose if you want to repeat the alarm (daily, weekly, monthly etc)

With this phone, the most I could find was the Medication Reminder and it’s set to daily, I need an ALARM setting for work where it just activates on weekdays not weekends. Could someone please help me. I would be extremely grateful.

• Az [Telstra Community Manager] says:

Hi Rez,

I recommend you speak to our Live Chat team and I am sure they will be able to point you in the right direction.

Unless someone in the community has the answer for you..! Guys?

45. vodka hangover says:

Unwanted gift from the wife consigned to the back of the wardrobe.This is a piece of junk,and if anyone wants it the box and contents will soon be on the bottom of the ocean in Port Phillip Bay.

46. Brenton says:

Hi, A friend of mine has an Easy phone II. We have set up the instant dial numbers of 2 and 4. When w tested this, we got a message that said application not working.
    It goes through the sequnc3 but when the call tries to ring we get this message. Is the unit faulty?

47. George says:

Large keys, large numerals but alpha chars are too small, when SMS is desired.

48. Donald Aitchison says:

could you tell me please what at the M and T scores for the Tcoil in Telstra Easycall 2?