08 Mar 2011
By Darren Kane
Mar
2011

Scammers think you’re gullible – enjoy proving them wrong

online-scams-fraud-consumer-banner

It used to be “that if it is too good to be true, it usually is”.  Nowadays with the sneaky stuff scammers can do with technology and ease of access to the connected consumer, it’s getting harder to identify what is a real service and what can be a hoax.  It is more important than ever to be alert and not afraid of challenging unsolicited emails and SMSs spruiking opportunity.

It’s always better to double-check something and have it turn out to be genuine, rather than acting against your instinct and regretting it (and the hole in your wallet) later.

Identity TheftOn this point, Telstra takes fraud seriously, which is why we are happy to support National Consumer Fraud Week.  An initiative of the Australasian Consumer Fraud Taskforce (ACFT), the Week sees a program of events that aim to educate consumers about how to protect themselves from would-be scammers.

We’re especially privileged this year because Peter Kell, Chair of the ACFT, and Deputy Chair of the ACCC, agreed to offer us some advice on recognising and avoiding various types of scams.  See his video below for info on the various sorts of personalised scams that the ACCC’s SCAMwatch function hears about all the time.

As we become more and more reliant on phones that can do ‘everything’, Peter also has some advice on smart phone scams.  So many of us use them for everyday tasks these days, to the point where we can become a bit too relaxed about the measures we should take to ensure our personal details stay personal.

This whole week is dedicated to helping you feel better about interacting in the digital world. I am hoping some of these easy tips will help.  Scammers think you are gullible.  Enjoy proving them wrong.

If you suspect you’re on the receiving end of a scam or hoax email, call or SMS, you can:

If you (or a customer) have received a Telstra / BigPond – branded scam email, you can:

1. Check current examples of known Telstra and BigPond hoaxes here.
  2. Report it, using the BigPond Misuse of Service form.

1. GW says:

Unfortunately it is the elderly that get preyed on the most and are the most vulnerable as they have a tendency to believe what they read is real without checking the source.

The scammers are also getting very good at their writing skills these days which makes their notices appear legit.

As far as we are concerned anyone that calls, emails or SMS’s us without us knowing first is suspected of being a scam, which is really a sad thing as it means our first instinct is defense rather than being welcoming. And people wonder why there is such negativity in the world…

If we get a phone call from Telstra and they ask for identifiable information we say sorry we don’t know who you are, we ask for a reference number and a name. We then hang up, call the official Telstra number and ask for the person with the reference number, in all but one time they have been legitimate calls, but that one if we had not checked could have been costly for us.

This does not only apply to Telstra as Banks, Centrelink and other government agencies are more and more being used to try and scam people.. it really is getting out of hand… but what can be done to stop it?

Our PC’s have more than one active scanner which slows down our PC experience, our internet connection speed is slowed by the large volume of scam emails being sent around and our web site browsing experience is plagued by phishing and advertising scams no matter where you go and what you search for.

Just take a moment to think how much better the internet would be without needing to worry about a virus or a scam or phishing and so forth…. Of course some will say use Linux or a Mac instead of a Windows PC but more and more these days even those systems are being targeted too.

Cheers

GW

• Darren Kane says:

GW,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think you are helping to illustrate the importance of continuing to talk about these scams. That’s the best way we can raise awareness about this issue, particularly among groups that may be more susceptible, such as our connected seniors.

Agree that it’s hard not to make people become negative about technology when this is their experience. Rather, we’re trying to tell people that exercising caution is the sensible approach, until you can verify someone’s intentions. Sounds like you have some good measures in place – appreciate you sharing your tips.

2. Jono says:

Forget the modern day email scammers we are still getting hit the old fashioned way !

Just received a bill with an extra $3000 + of International calls on it courtesy of someone dialling into out Telstra supplied configured and managed PBX. Apparently they had gained access by cracking the PIN used on the voicemails to grab a line and then started making over 500 overseas calls. Telstra’s Fraud detection management system eventually barred the calls being made after 3 days and we called in the local telstra supplier to remove all Voicemail access externally and reset all system PINS.

Telstra say we are responsible for these calls there is no discount for being a loyal customer for over 20 years on a fully supplied and configured Telstra equipment.

I have since tried to organise a restricted time period to at least reduce our exposure when international calls can be made and Telstra claim they cannot do this or can they control it n the existing PBX (LG ARIA)

Like most small businesses we are reliant on Telstra and its suppliers to advise of protection against this type of fraud but have never recieved any.

Trying to find any information on Telstra’s site for Phone Fraud reveals no warnings of this type of fraud and I have never receved a notifcations to businesses warning of this type of fraud.

Telstra have performed very poorly in this regard as many of the other carried have information on how to protect your systems and issued warnings on PBX fraud.

So who is the scammer here ?

Telstra still gets there money and the mug client has no comeback!

• Brendan O'Keefe [T-EX Customer Engagement Manager] says:

Hi John, I’ve sent you a personal email today. Please get back to me and I’ll see if I can find someone local to call and discuss this bill and the situation you’re in. Brendan

3. CW says:

I had a scam artist call me last night and claim to be Telstra. He had the name and address of the account holder (maybe from the phone book?) and as telling a story about how the phone bill was changing. I told him that I wasn’t interested in the change he was talking about as it sounded more expensive than what we currently spend. He hung up, called back two hours later – asked for me by the name that I had given him earlier, and claimed to be from Microsoft wanting to check the authenticity of the Windows Software on my computer. I asked him to call back tonight and he said that he will. I’d love to get that call traced or recorded if possible…

• Darren Kane says:

CW,
      Thanks for sharing this scenario. This particular ‘Microsoft’ scam seems to be an old one that has been raising its head again lately. Chances are this scammer will always be able to ‘find’ a so-called virus, and offer to fix it…for a price. SCAMwatch have posted a media release about this hoax last year: http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/792165. The short solution is: hang up, and under no circumstances give these people remote access to your computer, nor any your financial info.

4. Robert More says:

I’ve had one of the Microsoft callers, as well, as had my 82 yo mother. I’m a MCSE, and Microsoft OEM builder, but I run a Mac rather than a PC, so when this idiot started saying that my version of Internet explorer was causing problems on the internet, I explained where he was going wrong, and he suddenly shut up, then hung up on me.

If anybody else has this problem, just tell them you run Linux, or don’t even have a computer.

That’ll fix them.

enjoy!

• Darren Kane says:

Robert,

you brought a smile to my face when I read your post. It sounds to me like the scammer may have been reading from a script and you have replied with the wrong line. For those who are not as skilled with technology as yourself, I recommend caution and just hang up. Never give these fraudsters access to your machine and/or personal info.

5. Robert More says:

You know, it would be really good, if Telstra could give us a new short-cut on our telephone handsets (like #99*#) so that if we get a call like one of these scam calls, we could just put in the short-cut code, and it could trace the call, send the information to, say ScamWatch, or Telstra, or even display the relevant info on your handset, then you could quote their telephone number back at them.

That would make them think twice about things …

Darren?

6. Pierre says:

Robert,
    that EXACTLY why I do run LINUX !!.

I’ve had that call, too,
    - they hung up real quick, when I said that ….

7. JohnZ says:

I do not really think Telstra/ACCC/Microsoft care at all.

I get these calls all the time and report them to everyone that it’s supposed to be reported to.

Each time, the lady at Telstra who logged my call kept saying that they can not do anything, and that I have to call the police.. who tell me to contact Microsoft.. who tell me to contact ScamWatch.

I am getting really tired of reporting these cases all the time, especially that my number is on a do not call register… so where did they get my number from then, and what do I have to do (without changing number) to put an end to this?

I may as well solder up my own GoldBox, and utilising my own networking knowledge for educational purposes, irrespective of how legal it isn’t because no one else seems to be doing much.

@Robert More: the shortcut used to be *57 but it has been removed from service some time ago – from what I recall anyway!

in terms of phreakers tapping into your line for them to use. I am not sure about any codes that do that, however I have seen peeps open up the junction boxes in the streets and try to make lead-out wires along a dug out channel (and covered again). This was in the past, and I reported them back then. I asked for their ID’s and who they contracted to and called a bazillion companies to let them know – I had a hunch they here doing something they shouldn’t and called the police to check out ASAP (this was in the late 90′s).

anyway… back OT…

– FRUSTRATED :|

• Darren Kane says:

JohnZ,

I genuinely understand your frustration. It’s very annoying to think that people are illegally using our company’s name and image for the purpose of tricking people who may not know any better. The reality is that scammers have access to phone and email services, the same as you and I, so there’s no clear-cut way of only providing access to people who use their technology for ‘good’, rather than dodgy purposes.

The most effective weapon we have for minimising scammers’ success is promoting awareness. The more we are able to make people aware of what scams, hoaxes and phishing attempts are out there, the harder we make a scammer’s job. That’s why we have channels like this blog, and National Consumer Fraud Week, and ScamWatch, etc, and why we work with other industry government bodies to increasingly tackle this problem. Telstra does provide customer information about scams and phishing via its Telstra.com and BigPond sites, but it’s a constant challenge to make sure we are making people aware of all the variations of scams that currently exist and can impact people.

It sounds like you’re doing the right thing in regards to being on the ‘Do not call’ register, so I’m not sure where these people are getting your number from. As a final note, I’d encourage anyone who knows of or sees anyone tampering with our network or services to contact the police immediately.

• JohnZ says:

Hey there Darren :)
      Thank you for the reply, and yes I do understand. Especially how frustrating it must be for the companies the scammers are varnishing their credibility from.

I just find it frustrating on one hand that no matter who I call, even immediately after receiving a scam call, no-one can follow through with trying to track the last call or what-not to take immediate action whilst the iron still seems a little warm.

I completely understand that it is legally and logistically difficult to do so, and opens up many other cans of worms in trying to endeavor such a pursuit – especially at a consumer (public) level.. but… after each call, I personally do feel that I have only helped in adding another 1 to a tally – and the awareness of the scam is really limited to my social/work/hobby networks (without starting any viral spam about it – I never would anyway).

8. Elsita says:

It is actually you Telstra giving our sacred personal details away without regard for our safety. We installed a brand new line a few months ago. ***NO ONE*** has been given this number since installation… the ONLY CALLS I RECEIVE on fortnightly basis are the “Microsoft” calls… how in this earth some Indian / Bangladeshi dude knows our surnames if NO ONE, not even family members have this number? and the calls started a few days after installation… I just got another one and in fact i had a bit of a chat to the idiot that called me!!… i wonder how many people get robbed of they hard earned money thanks to the irresponsible actions of third parties.
    Elsita, from Perth.

• Brendan - [Your Community Manager] says:

Elsita, I am getting a response for you from our security people.

• JohnZ says:

Hi Brendan (and/or anyone else),

Just a few questions:
      1) Is there any (Telstra) department we can be put in contact with, so they can perform some kind of trace?
      2) And either THEY (the department someone will answer in Q1) follow through and contact the Police, or we are given a reference number so we call the Police so they can chase up??
      3) Exactly and specifically what is done about this issue in general?
      4) Are there any facilities we as customers/consumers monitor to see what is being done? Even with our “registered complaint/logged issue”?
      5) Is there any protocol by any Governmental Department or Telecommunications Governing Body, being followed, and any form of procedure executed about this? If so, what public information can be obtained and where from?

In regards to the initial response to my first post about calling the Police when this occurs.. ***I do*** … each time:

I still get these types of calls the time, and… I seem to be a record spinning on a record player – going in circles.

• Julia says:

We’ve had the same thing happen to us. We moved home from the UK last year and had not given our number to anyone (not even family). We started receiving unsolicited calls straight away. I assume this could only have happened through some breach in security of Telstra. Very frustrating.

9. Hi Elsita,

Believe me, I understand your frustration. Without knowing the specifics of your circumstances, there are a few comments I’d like to make about this. When a fixed line service provider connects a new customer, White Pages online listings are updated almost immediately. Which is great if you want people to know your new number, but it also means potential scammers can access your number and family name.

Customers who don’t want to have this information published have the option of requesting a silent line from their carrier.

It’s worth noting that scammers often use automated dialling technology that indiscriminately generates phone numbers and routes calls through to these target numbers.

We always encourage customers to report call or email scams to the ACCC by calling 1300 795 995 or visiting the SCAMwatch website.

10. Hi JohnZ,

Lots of question – in the interests of space, I hope this covers off most of them…

Telstra does have an Unwelcome Calls service centre –1800 805 996 – that you can phone for advice when you receive these calls.

In the case of particularly unwelcome calls (i.e. of a menacing or harassing nature) there is a call trace procedure that can be requested by a customer, to try and identify the calling party. Service providers must comply with the ACIF Code on Handling of Life Threatening and Unwelcome Calls, which allows for call tracing to be used when a pattern of unwelcome calls has been identified. When one of these traces is run, a reference number will be provided to the customer – this can be passed on to the police for their use in any subsequent investigation.

Unfortunately, many scam calls are generated from overseas or via VOIP, which limits our ability to prevent these calls. If via the call trace procedure the caller is identified as having an Australian number, either Telstra (or the caller’s carrier) will issue a warning letter asking them to cease calling the customer’s number. It’s worth noting that privacy laws would prevent us from providing you with the unwelcome caller’s identity.

Bearing all that in mind, there are other simple procedures for tackling scam or unwelcome calls that Telstra recommends trying – though, obviously there’s no one-size fits all approach. We recommend customers hang up on the caller immediately and consider using an answering machine or voicemail (or equipment with caller ID capabilities) to screen callers. In extreme cases, it may be better for the customer to change numbers and keep the new one as an ‘unlisted’ number.

Hopefully this provides you with some helpful info, and you can see why we continue to try and promote consumer awareness around this issue, and why we support the work of bodies like Scamwatch.

Regards,
    Darren.

11. Stu M says:

So…. I have been on the phone for 45 mins now with Telstra, after getting a hoax call saying “they are Telstra, no sorry sir a company working for Telstra”… The hoax identified my full name, phone number, that I was with Telstra AND my account balance.

That is not telemarketer information – that is fraud or release of private information – but it took 45 mins for Telstra Help to pass my call between 4 or 5 people before someone would listen to me saying it wasnt just a telemarketer. At one point one of the girls said that Telstra can do nothing, and just ring the Telstra number 1300 792 958 (actually ACMA). In the end Telstra ‘accidentally’ hangs up on me, without actually resolving my problem as to how my personal account information is in the hands of someone else.

Now, if fraud is to be taken seriously, why does the customer have to spend that long to Telstra to get no response and no call back when they hung up on me?

While I was waiting to be put between people within Telstra I found this website and found the 1800 805 996 number. After I was hung up on, I rang it and my issue was solved within literally 5 minutes, including lodging my complaint.

Why is it that this pathetic level of support regarding the security of my phone lines is seemed acceptable?

12. Annette says:

I have just taken a call from someone claiming to be a Telstra employee and advising that if I could provide him with authorisation, he would be able to forward me information regarding being placed on a new contract with much more GB and free calls etc. As soon as I advised I wasn’t giving any authorisations to anybody over the phone and that I would be expecting a written offe regarding any plan changes, he hung up. The caller had a very strong accent and I’m guessing that it was a scam of some type. Has anyone else had these types of calls as it wasn’t like any others I’ve come across?

• Lucy says:

Last week I also received a call like this from a man with an Indian(?) accent claiming to be from Telstra. He said that we could receive a discount on our monthly bill if I provided him details. I gave him my date of birth, as he first specified this, and I was unsure at this stage exactly what was going on. After wishing me a happy birthday (!?!) he then asked for any form of ID such as a drivers licence number, Centrelink CRN or Medicare number. I asked him to repeat which company he was calling from and after a delay, I hung up and haven’t heard from them again.

• Brendan - [Your Community Manager] says:

Hi Lucy. This is a common scam and you did the right thing to hang up.

13. Donna says:

Just thought I would alert you – the business I work for just got a call from someone pretending to be Telstra Business asking to speak to the account holder. This guy had a Aussie accent … not all scammers have foreign accents! Smelling a rat … I said I wasn’t interested and then asked to get put through to their technical help people. Then the same guy got on the phone with a badly faked accent and I hung up.

14. Fiona says:

Today a man pretending to be from Telstra called my aunt’s place (which I am houseminding) and said the bill was overdue and had to be paid immediately. He knew her name, address, billing dates, and amounts. He had an Australian accent and the story was vaguely plausible as she is away traveling and I have not seen a bill arrive. He even gave a date that Telstra had previously attempted phone contact. He offered to look up the name of the nearest Telstra shop to my aunt, then hung up. He was by far the smoothest scammer I’ve ever come across and, while I did not give other info, I did provide the account number.

I rang Telstra to complain and was told my options would be limited as I was not the account holder (due to privacy reasons). Fair enough. I raised my concerns that my aunt’s privacy had been breached and the Telstra worker told me this was “impossible”. Oh no it’s not. In fact I now wonder whether workers in the subcontinent legitimately employed by Telstra to reduce costs may have onsold information about Telstra customers to scamsters in the same area.

I reiterated my concerns that the phone number was being targeted (frequent Microsoft scam calls) and asked for phone trace/location. I was told this was impossible. The Telstra worker was able to confirm that the account balance was zero, which confirmed for me that it was a scam.

Like Stu, I am concerned at the release of private information. I asked to speak to the Telstra worker’s manager, as I found the response to be insufficient, and was placed on extended hold.

One of the reasons I notified Telstra (apart from concerns re: security of information) was altruistic. I wanted Telstra to know of this convincing scam using their name and their information. I therefore expected a stronger response.

• Hi Fiona. Unfortunately there is not a silver bullet to stop fraudsters or cold-callers. The best line of defence we have is raising consumer awareness about knowing what scams to look out for, where to report them, and what to do if you are a victim of a scam.

Telstra plays a leading role in providing its customers and the community with cyber-safety and security information, which includes supporting a wide range of education programs, funding research and participating in global initiatives, as well as providing customers with relevant information, internet products and expertise so they are better equipped to exercise reasonable care and responsibility to achieve the best value from their online experience.

We advise our customers who receive cold-calls on their phone to:

• Hang up.
      • Be wary about providing personal information over the phone, unless you know the caller and/or are aware of the circumstances surrounding the call.
      • Ask questions to verify the caller or company credentials - refer to the ACCC’s SCAMwatch website  for a list of the type of questions to ask cold callers.

We also encourage our customers to help raise awareness about scams by reporting them:

I hope these comments answer your question. If you do have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Investor Relations by mail at Level 32, 242 Exhibition Street Melbourne VIC 3000, by email at investor.relations@team.telstra.com or by phone on 1800 880 679.

Hope this helps. Brendan

15. DougR says:

I went to report a scam Telstra email that claimed my payments could not be made because of a bank error.

Sadly the space provided on the form is not sufficient to
    include the requested information. What is the point in asking for this information then not making space for it….

I note that Telstra claim to have been alerting customers about these scams. Fairly sure I would have read it if it had been emailed to customers. So guys if your serious how about alerts to customers as each scam is discovered.

• Hi Doug, could you please email me the details to exchange.telstra@team.telstra.com? I’ll gladly pass it on. We regularly alert everyone to scams via our social media profiles and various newsletters.

• Darren Kane says:

Hi Doug,

Firstly I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to try and alert us about the suspicious email you received. We rely on our customers and the general public to let us know about fraudsters impersonating our Telstra brand – it helps us to monitor scam trends and educate our customers about new or popular scams.

I’ve taken a look at the Report Misuse of Service webform(https://service.telstra.com.au/customer/general/surveys/Report_misuse_of_service), and I was able to successfully copy/paste a sample phishing scam email I had (which was about 200 characters) into the text field for “email header and email content” without any problems. Unfortunately it sounds like you had a different experience from me when trying to fill in the report form, which I’d like to investigate further if you’re able to send me the content of the Billing scam email you received.

We use a variety of different channels – including print, radio and social media – to raise awareness about scams impacting our customers and educate people about what they can do to protect themselves from becoming a scam victim. If you’d like to stay up to date with these fraud alerts, the best thing to do is bookmark our latest phishing scam webpage (https://help.telstra.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17020) or subscribe to our @Telstra_news (https://twitter.com/Telstra_news) twitter account.

There is not a silver bullet to stop these fraudsters impersonating Telstra. The scam you received is among thousands of scams that circulate around Australia every year, and unfortunately due to the volume of scams in circulation, it is not practical for us to send an email alerting you about each and every scam without spamming our customers. The best line of defence we have is raising consumer awareness about knowing what high-risk scams to look out for, where to report scams, and what to do if you are a victim of a scam.

I hope this information was helpful.

Regards,
      Darren Kane

16. Amy says:

Hi, have been reading through this blog it is something i have a question for. Last month i received an email for my telstra bill, i rang telstra to query as i normally receive paper bills and the account number was different i rang telstra and was told not to worry about it as the bill was not mine it was just sent to my email. However the bill has my name on it and it is for a mobile i dont have, the gentlemen i spoke to was lovely and he said the fraud dept. will be notified of this. My biggest fear was it would go on my credit rating even though the bill was not mine. Surprise surprise another email today saying that i owe a bill for 300 odd dollars. Feeling rather sick in my stomach knowing that this issue was not resolved and is still happening. Please if anyone could please offer any info would be greatly appreciated

• Hi Amy, please contact us so we can discuss further investigate for you right away. You can find our contact options here: http://www.telstra.com.au/help/contact/

• ingrid says:

Hi Amy, i received corro from telstra & noticed that the email address that they have on my file, was not my email address. I have contacted Telsta last week (a 2hour phone call with 4 different telstra employees) & was told that someone from their fraud team would be in touch within 24-48 hours .. that time has well & truly passed & still nothing heard from Telstra .. have also emailed Gerd Schenkel last week & no reply .. are Telstra really concernced about fraud??? it appears that Telstra were scammed into setting up an account under my name, using fraudulent information ie drivers licence # which they did not check ?? Noone from telstra is contacting me to discuss this further .. i too expect a bill, thats not mine, that they will claim it is .. im interested to hear whether your issue has been resolved .. & how you were treated by Telstra ?

• Gigi [Telstra Staff] says:

H Ingrid,

I’ve just forwarded this on to our security department to escalate. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

• Darren Kane says:

Hello Ingrid,

I am concerned to hear that you have had this poor experience in dealing with us. I can assure you that we take customer concerns particularly around allegations of identity theft very seriously. I am keen to speak with you with regard your specific allegation and resolve it as quickly as possible. I have your personal email and have sent you my details to allow you to repond. Again, disappointed to hear of your experience and hoping we can resolve this quickly. Rgds Darren

17. Anna says:

Just got an automated call, on both my mobile then on my landline, purporting to be from Telstra. Started off saying it was not a tele-marketing call (I’m on the Do Not Call Register), then asked me to verify my name by pressing 1, then my birthday etc. Hung up before it went much further.

Is this a new scam?

18. Darren Kane says:

Hi Anna, sounds like a scam. Certainly not something I would expect a representative from Telstra to do. Glad you hung up. If there is a repeat of this or you wish to formally report it to us, please use the contact portal provided by Leigh in previous post. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

• Stuart says:

Anna/Darren,

that sounds like it IS the wonderful “Telstra call-back” system. Funny enough, you probably will find it IS Telstra. I have complained about this a few times to Telstra representatives on the phone, but I have been told that it is their automated system to get in touch with a customer, and there is no other way.

19. Lynn says:

I had someone ring saying they were from Telstra and offered a deal on my landline and mobile. I consider myself not gullible at all. But he convinced me he was from Telstra as he knew how much I spent on calls, details about my a/c etc. But when I nearly accepted the offer he wanted my drivers licence no and Medicare no. He said for identification when my new mobile phone got delivered. I still don’t know if he was a scammer or not? He has rung twice since but I don’t know if he is from Telstra or not and I don’t answer.

• Denice says:

Hi Lynn, I always ask any caller saying they are from Telstra for their “C” or “D” number, any legitimate employee or contractor with Telstra will happily divulge this number. If they are unwilling or do not know what this number is, they are not from Telstra. I find once I ask for this the caller will hang up as it is most likely some form of a scam.

20. Scott says:

I had he same as lyn today, said he was from Telstra and was giving me a discount. Apparently no monthly line rental, free local calls and capped interstate calls, and a free Moile. Told him im not with Telstra but kept going. Had my address and number and dob, then he wanted drivers licence or Medicare. Said no and he said. “what am I gong to do? Drive a ad with your license? I said no but I hear identify theft is not cool…. Hung up on him and turned phone off seeing I never use the landline. And yes he was Indian.

21. Anon says:

Is this a legitimate Telstra call centre?
    I received 10 calls from them saying that they would change our business plan to a more suitable one ($34.95) a month
    But they seemed to be happy to confirm details with me even though i’m not an authorised representative on the plan…

22. HARRI says:

The day i changed my provider to telstra i was flooded with these scam phone calls, . Thanks for providing these fraudsters with my personal information Telstra. Telstra should be held accountable for not securing my personal details.

• Jamie (Editor) says:

Hi Harri, we take personal security very seriously here and I can assure you that we would never give away your details. Please contact our Unwanted Calls team, who may be able to assist. Thanks, Jamie.