15 Feb 2011
By Warwick Bray
Feb
2011

Introducing a flat screen for your pocket

blog-xperia-neo-front-h-blue-banner

This week the mobile industry is in Barcelona, Spain for its annual trade show – the Mobile World Congress. It’s a massive event. If you can imagine a sea of 50,000 people packed into exhibition space spanning two city blocks then you can get a sense of the scale.

In between the back-to-back meetings with technology vendors, we get to do some fun things like announce new products. And overnight we joined with Sony Ericsson to let our customers know that we’re bringing a new Telstra-exclusive smartphone to Australia that’s big on multimedia features.

Called the Sony Ericsson Xperia™ neo, it combines the latest Android 2.3 operating system, a powerful 1GHz processor and impressive multimedia features you’d expect from Sony products.

Sony Ericsson Xperia™ neoFor instance, it incorporates picture technology previously reserved for Sony BRAVIA TVs. Sony call this technology Mobile BRAVIA Engine and it works to reduce image noise, increase sharpness, manage colour and enhance picture contrast – just like on a big screen TV. This means people will be able enjoy bright, sharp images on neo’s 3.7-inch screen.

Xperia neo also borrows technology found in Sony’s Cybershot family of camera products. For example, its 8 megapixel camera uses sensor technology that captures better pictures in low-light conditions. There’s also an HD video recorder built in.

And for our many customers who like to share what they’ve captured there’s HDMI and DNLA connectivity making it easy to send pictures and video from the phone to a TV screen.

Pricing and availability will be announced closer to the launch date. In the meantime let us know what you think of the neo.

Sony Ericsson Xperia™ neo – Key features

• Exmor R™. Captures great still photos and HD video even in low light
  • Reality display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine
  • Built-in HDMI and DNLA. Display still photos and videos on an HD TV
  • More than 100,000 apps on Android Market
  • Google™ services including Google Mail™, Google™ search, YouTube™, Google Calendar™ and Google Maps™
  • Size: 116 x 57 x 13 mm
  • Weight: 126 grams
  • Operating system: Google™ Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
  • Processor: 1 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon™ MSM8255

1. sam s. (Telstra Employee) says:

What about the Atrix, when will that be available?

2. Corporate Sham(e) says:

You’re tooo modest, Warwick!
    Under ‘Key features’, shouldn’t you include all the irritating and unwanted Telstra bloatware?
    We both know it’s going to be there, Warwick…

• Travis New says:

Some people like the foxtel and bigpond apps such as myself. Why do you hide behind a anonymous moniker anyway.

• Gander Goose says:

looks like what’s good for one should be good for the other, look forward to seeing you post the same comments every time a phone is launched by all other telcos in the country who install features or services on a device. This is often called an OEM build.

3. Travis New says:

To be honest I am a little disappointed you’re not announcing you’re carrying the HTC HD7(release date) or really the Sony’s Xperia Play phone which is their big show…Can we make sure you don’t stop the nodo update from MSFT please.

4. Larry Sixsmith (Telstra Employee) says:

While it looks great & I love the HDMI I have to say I cannot leave HTC. I have converted many people in just the the last 12 months so I feel I would be hypocritical to now change. Do you have any info on up and coming HTC. I have heard there is HD7 however from all accounts its the Mozart in the DH2.

5. chief88 says:

Sexy, I want to replace my iphone NOW!! Can’t wait.

6. spatch says:

How about the Xperia arc? Bigger screen, beautiful hardware, same high resolution screen & all the other Sony goodies thrown in. The arc is a much more desirable handset and the one I was hoping Telstra would offer to it’s customers. This neo feels like an “arc-lite”, in my opinion.

7. Rob Maietta says:

Looks good. They’ve packed in a lot of technology into a phone that oinly weighs 126 grams.

I just want to see what the plans are like. Theres no point having a great device that will kill you with excessive running costs.

8. Simon says:

Clearly the iPhone is now going to have serious challenges from a wide range of competing devices.The HTC, this Sony and Nokia will take it right up to iPhone.I have a iPhone 3Gs and as good as it is I would not buy a closed sytem phone again.

This Sony may be my next phone, as the locked in battery,the inability to run multiple Apps on the iPhone and the single button is getting to me.

9. Carl says:

Has it got a forward facing camera for video calls and skype??? I’m not upgrading until I get this feature.

• dan says:

some sites are quoting Neo has a 2mp front cam… Where as the Pro (neo with a keyboard) has a VGA.

But its not concrete info… It definitely has one, how can you not see it on the front? Its MASSIVE

10. Nathan says:

A nice phone indeed, but a shame it’s not the Arc. Same guts but to me anyway, a better form factor being that little bit bigger in screen size.

11. Reginald says:

WHAT ABOUT THE ARC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Dave says:

Will Telstra be etting the Xperia Play & when.

13. Reginald says:

So Telstra, people are asking questions about availability of the Xperia Arc. Do you have any answer? Is there any point in having comments?

14. Nick says:

Do you have plans to bring in the Arc SE phone Telstra?

15. Mictah says:

Xperia Arc, is telstra releasing it???

16. spatch says:

Telstra won’t be responding to this Arc questioning because of the following:

It’s a pity these awful networks with terrible coverage have a bigger international footprint than our national carrier…