24 Aug 2010
By Kristen Boschma
Aug

Digital People

blog-digital-people-banner

I am on a mission. I want to interview the movers and shakers of the digital world, discover who they really and see if they have some pearls of wisdom to share with us all. First up is Trevor Young and I decided to ask him five questions over email.

Trevor is a director of ParkYoung – a boutique agency that provides personalised strategic communications advice and services for companies and organisations of all sizes. In his spare time, Trevor sits on the brand advisory committee of Reach Foundation, the PR Industry Advisory Committee of Swinburne University and is a founding committee member of Social Media Club Melbourne.

Trevor’s PR Warrior blog ranks in the Top 50 Australian Marketing Pioneer Blogs. His posts from PR Warrior appear regularly on Socialmediatoday.com (‘The web’s best thinkers on social media and Web 2.0’) and UK-based Marcomprofessional.com; he also writes exclusive blog content for Marketing Magazine and Fast Thinking’s ‘Think Tank’.

_________________________________________________

On 20/07/2010, at 4:02 PM, Boschma, Kristen wrote:

Hi Trevor

Question 1

If you had to have a WWF style wrestling match against a piece of technology, what would you most like to wrestle and why?

_________________________________________________

From: “Trevor Young”
Date: Tue, Jul 20, 2010 6:18 PM
Subject: The moment email interview
To: “Boschma, Kristen”

Wow, what an interesting question, if not a, errr, little out of the box! I’m hoping you’re meaning World Wrestling Federation and not World Wildlife Fund!

Well, I’d have to say a PC. Any PC will do, desk or laptop, makes no difference to me. I’d like to rid the world of PCs. You see, I’m a staunch Mac fan. I can’t for the life of me understand why people would prefer to use inferior technology that is embodied in PCs. I once joined a company and had to swap my beloved Mac for a PC and within no time my productivity had dropped 15 per cent, I kid you not!

But I’d take things a step further. Not only would I submit the PC to a two-handed choke-lift but I’d subject it to a mandible claw, thus rendering it useless (sorry, it’s already useless. How ’bout unusable?).

Cheers,

Trevor

_________________________________________________

On 20/07/2010, at 6:29 PM, Boschma, Kristen wrote:

Thank you for your comprehensive and thoughtful response. I shall call you JunkYard PC Dog from now on.

Question 2

When archaeologists recover your Mac in 2000 years from now and try and work out who you are based on your online habits, what conclusions will they draw?

_________________________________________________

From: “Trevor Young”
Date: Thu, Jul 22, 2010 10:21 AM
Subject: The moment email interview
To: “Boschma, Kristen”

You’re keeping me on my toes with these questions Mizz B! Okay, what would archaeologists discover from researching my online habits?

They’d say: now here’s a person who bounced around the interwebs like a blue-arsed fly in a bottle!  Hopefully they’d acknowledge somewhere that I actually meandered with some degree of purpose and had built up a large reservoir of information and resources that I used wisely and shared freely!

Until next question,

Trevor

_________________________________________________

On 22/07/2010, at 10:38 AM, Boschma, Kristen wrote:

Dear Blue-Arsed Fly/Junk Yard PC Dog/Trevor

As someone who follows you on Twitter I can say that you do share wisely and freely. You are like Yoda of the interweb.

Question 3

What advice would you give to a PR type who is trying to get online and social media comms to work for them? (or in Yoda speak: Trying to get online and social media comms to work for them, what advice would you give to a PR type who is, hmm?)

Adios

Mizz Thang/B

_________________________________________________

From: “Trevor Young”
Date: Fri, Jul 23, 2010 4:20 PM
Subject: The moment email interview
To: “Boschma, Kristen”

Mizz Thang/B – I’m starting to collect a few nicknames here!

I see you’ve put your ‘serious hat’ on with this question.

Okay, I’m tipping you mean individually rather than for a company, so I’m going to go with that.

Best thing to do is get amongst it. I recommend creating a blog either skewed professionally or around a personal hobby or interest…something you have passion for! When blogging, remember you don’t have to just use words. Images, video, audio are all at your disposal. It’s a great way to start growing your digital footprint and get used to the various technologies such as YouTube and WordPress. Treat your blog as your hub, or home base.

Get on to Twitter and try it out (the key is participation and perseverance). The more you participate, the more effective you will find it. Before bursting forth with too much enthusiasm though, check out what others are doing – what sort of stuff do they write, what ideas and links do they share, how often do they tweet, how do they treat others etc. Twitter takes a bit of effort, but it sits at the epicentre of the social web and you’ll learn heaps simply by getting involved.

As a matter of course, professionally, you should be on LinkedIn as this is your online CV.

Hope this helps :)

- Trevor

_________________________________________________

On 23/07/2010, at 5:26 PM, Boschma, Kristen wrote:

Yes this does help. I was wearing my black fedora when I wrote this question so I think you’re right in saying I had my serious hat on.

Question 4

Other than the Old Spice youtube live video sensation, what have you seen recently in the interweb comms world that has impressed you and why?

Cheers

Kristen

_________________________________________________

From: “Trevor Young”
Date: Thu, Jul 29, 2010 8:57 AM
Subject: The moment email interview
To: “Boschma, Kristen”

Hey Kristen,

The Old Spice campaign was a beauty, wasn’t it? Well thought out and well executed! Now watch as a raft of copycats come out to play! The campaign worked because it was ‘out of the box’ thinking and the brand’s ‘custodians’ had the sense to let go of the reins and trust the ad agency and others concerned in the project. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when the agency pitched that one!

Something that caught my eye recently was best-selling author Seth Godin ‘donating’ his 50th birthday to non-profit organisations, charity:water.

Cool idea (certainly not in the Old Spice category though), but it didn’t cost anything and is on track to raise $50,000 for the charity:water cause. Speaking of charity:water, they’re one of the smarter non-profits going and are constantly coming up with new ideas to get their cause on the public’s radar.

Until next time,

TY

_________________________________________________

On 31/07/2010, at 5:09 PM, Boschma, Kristen wrote:

Yes charity:water is way cool – especially as they have my Aussie mate Paull Young as their Social Media guru. Go Paull (and yes he does have two ls in his name). I shall donate my next birthday to a worthy cause. I reckon we could raise at least $2.50.

Question 5 (last one)

What’s next for social media? We’ve had charity giving, crowd selling, bartering for tweets, sponsored tweets, geosocial giveaways and treasure hunts – and the list goes on. What is on the horizon in this fascinating and mercurial world (sounds like Dune).

_________________________________________________

From: “Trevor Young”
Date: Thu, Aug 5, 2010 1:15 pm
Subject: The moment email interview
To: “Boschma, Kristen”

Special K – sorry for delay in getting back to you but I thought, seeing as though it’s our last question/answer session together (* sniff *) then I should keep you hanging in ant…icip……ation….

I’m probably not the right person to ask from a technological point of view re trends – i.e. I don’t really see any exceptional ‘shiny new thing’ on the horizon (that’s not to say they’re not out there!).

That said, I think in this country at least blogging will get stronger (Aussies don’t seem to blog as much as, say, people in the US – that could well be a cultural thing) as it’s getting easier and easier to set up a blog and “have a voice”. We have a small but vibrant blogging community in Australia – including a number of professional bloggers – and I can only see this activity getting bigger over time. Video too, especially with the advent of cameras such as the Flipcam, will break out even more I suspect.

Geo-tagging and location-sharing has a long way to go in Australia. I think it needs a major catalyst or two to get it cranking.

Twitter could go either way – if they fiddle with it too much, or try and over-commercialise the platform, then they might run in to trouble. The numbers aren’t growing in Australia like they did last year (that was phenomenal growth) but the usage – the amount of times people use Twitter – is increasing significantly, and the media is also getting heavily in on the act.

And lastly, now I’ve got an iPad I’m right into Flipboard, which helps turns your iPad into a personalised ‘magazine’. We’re only going to see more of this style of personalised content me thinks.

Interesting times ahead!

Cheers,

Trevor

1. Dan says:

That was crazy fun to read guys, but left me feeling blue as I have never had a cool nickname like Special K or Junkyard Dawg.

And Trevor, I agree wholeheartedly that Flipboard is the coolest thing on iPad to date, totally makes Twitter and Facebook interesting again. That and ‘Mirror’s Edge’ are two good enough reasons to buy one on Planet Dan.

2. M@ (Telstra Employee) says:

Broolyant interview guys!

Yoda, Tech, slang and even a passing Rocky Horror reference…it’s like you got my Blog bucket list and started ticking boxes…

There is a bit of an ‘underground’ Geo-culture in Australia (I’m a huge fan of Geo-caching…Google it) and I’m trying to figure out how to ‘do’ something with it. Maybe a Blog post that spawns a journey that results in…err…something….

I’m going to download Flipboard onto the ‘pad when I get home… sounds too good to miss.

It’s a little old now, but the ‘Google Chrome speed test was the last viral video (prior to “…I’m on a horse”) that I remember forwarding on:

Thanks again – and, next time, Think you can nab Seth for a down-low, Kristen? I know, but if you don’t ask….

3. M@ (Telstra Employee) says:

oh, and I almost forgot…trying to copy someone else’s viral success – even in parody – rarely turns out well: