13 Aug 2010
By Stephen Eyears
Aug

Increased warranties on Telstra mobile phones

blog-24month-warranty-header

Data provided by the Australian Communications and Media Authority indicates that the total mobile subscriptions in Australia at 30 June 2009 totalled 24.22 million*. That’s more than the Australian population – that’s a lot of mobile handsets.

Everyone seems to have a mobile phone. We are living in an era where apps are no longer limited to desktop computers and where our kids can text a message quicker than they can speak.

At Telstra, we certainly recognise the essential nature of the mobile in keeping people and families and friends connected, informed and entertained. And, we appreciate that handsets need to be purchased out of the household budget.

Along with any purchase, there’s an expectation that the good bought lasts for a reasonable amount of time relevant to that product and reasonable use of it. This applies equally to a mobile phone purchase.

Increasing warranties from 12 months to 24 months

We know that some customers are concerned about costs of having to replace faulty handsets or phones that just don’t seem to last as long as they should. We are in discussions with all vendors to supply mobile phones to Telstra with increased warranties from 12 months to 24 months. We are working hard to negotiate this across the board.

In the meantime, I want to share some progress news.

As from July 1 this year, certain mobile phones and data cards now come with a 24 month warranty. The mobile devices that are now covered by 24 month warranties are:

• HTC handsets – this includes the flagship HTC Desire smartphone and our latest release, the HTC Wildfire
  • ZTE handsets – this includes Telstra branded phones such as the Telstra Tough, which is ideal for tradies, and Easy Touch Discovery2 with its big buttons that are so very popular with our older customers
  • ZTE data devices – this includes Telstra branded data cards such as the high-speed BigPond Elite USB, that can download a 4MB song from BigPond in as little as 7 seconds

HTC Wildfire on the Next G network
Customers who have purchased any of these products since 1 July are already aware of the 24 month warranties but we wanted to share the news with everyone else and, in particular, prospective mobile phone buyers.

It is important to remind everyone that warranties relate to the product being robust to withstand normal use. For example, damage caused by dropping a phone, leaving it on the car roof then driving off, or getting it wet are all unfortunate accidents that are not covered.

This is a great step forward – but we’re not stopping here. There are a number of other handset providers that we’re talking to and we’ll keep working with them to increase the spread.

We’ll provide more updates as other vendors come on board and I look forward to your comments.

* ACMA Communications Report 2008/2009, p.53

1. karen says:

does this mean my htc desire i bought before 1st july has 24 month warranty??

2. Adrian says:

What about owners of these phones who purchased before July 1?

Really, it’s the same phone, so there shouldn’t be a reason why it can’t be made retrospective back to the launch date of the phone.

3. Brent says:

I hope this comes through for a wider number of phones.

I used to think that a warranty was a manufacturers assurance that a product should last at least x number of years or they’ll fix/ replace it.

Now is an arbitrary figure of 12 months then you are on your own. So if our phones are only expected to work for 12 months, why are MROs and outright phones so expensive?

Consider too, the idea of Telstra extended warranty for $90 for something that’s never been explained to happen to my iPhone if it plays up (I once lost a Sony Erriccsson for 6 months to Telstra repairs!). Or even Apple Care (sic) for about the same. With what you pay- manufacturers should be extending warranties for no charge- if it means being stringent on failure causes ( not, let’s send it away and see if it’s covered) then so be it- if a genius at apple can pick so can a Telstra nerd.

In the meantime, Telstra could offer free extendeds to the rest if us.

4. Gary says:

Well lets not forget that by offering any phone on a 24 month contract Telstra are also offering an implied warranty as is is reasonable to expect that the phone they supply you on a 24 month contract will last for the contract term.

Having the manufacturers offer the warranty will make things easier when things so wrong.

5. Travis New says:

@Karen @Adrian

That’s really up to the manufacture if they wish to be retroactive with the 24-month warranty. I would maybe send them a email with a link to this article and see if they will?

6. Smitty says:

About time that Apple got on board and gave a 24 month warranty

7. Jon Biddell says:

What the ACCC actually said was that ALL mobile handsets that are supplied as part of a contract are covered by warranty FOR THE LIFE OF THE CONTRACT. So if your HTC or iPhone, which normally has a 12 month warranty, fails in the second 12 months it is still covered.

The first 12 months will be the manufacturer’s warranty and the second 12 months will be carried by the either Telco or the place of purchase, no matter WHAT the manufacturer says. I’m assuming, in Telstra’s case, that it will carry the warranty for even their dealerships (but I could be wrong).

Note that this is ONLY if the phone is supplied as a part of a contract package. If, for example, you bring your own HTC that you purchased outright to Telstra, you only get a 12 month warranty.

8. neen says:

agree Karen and Adrian. Why should the date of sale matter to what is essentially the same phone. If it is the same phone then the same warranty periods should apply across the board.
    I’ve already had problems with my desire though since day 1 and although I asked for it to be replaced it was not, it was repaired without my consent. So Brent, there is no such thing as replacement on defective items. Buy a lemon and you just have the sour taste in your mouth for life of the phone. Will wait and see if my existing unanswered complaint with Telstra gets resolved.

9. Karen and Adrian,
    The changes I have announced here relate to HTC and ZTE handsets and devices purchased on or after July 1, 2010. This has come about as a result of new agreements being reached between Telstra and our respective vendors, commencing with the start of this new financial year. Unfortunately, handsets purchased prior to July 1, 2010 are not covered by this new arrangement.

• Jon Biddell says:

Stephen, I believe you’ll find this is not accurate. ANY phone, regardless of purchase date, if part of a 24 month contract MUST be warrantied for the life of the contract, whether purchased before July 2010 or not.

The only exception to this would be if you’ve purchased the handset outright, and then you would get the manufacturer’s 12 month warranty – of course other “statutory” warranties would still apply (i.e. if you bought an iPhone outright and it died 13 months later, you would have a case for a replacement under statutory warranty provisions.)

10. Geoff says:

If you’re an existing Telstra residential customer, don’t bother waiting for a new IPhone4 because you’re not eligible! That’s what I discovered today after waiting 4 weeks for a new IPhone! Apparently as an existing Telstra customer my account has not yet been migrated to Telstra’s new billing system so I am not eligi…ble to take up the new IPhone4 offer. FORGET all the hype, forget the TV ads, it’s all a scam! Telstra have been migrating my account for over 2 months now and after waiting 4 weeks for a new IPhone I’m sure you can understand my frustration! To add further insult no one could tell me how long it will take. It could be a week, it could be a month. Oh and Telstra don’t even have the courtesy to advise me when my account has been upgraded. They would prefer me to drop in from time to time and keep asking as they never answer their phone in store! Very Frustrating!!! I now see why Telstra has such a poor public image!

11. Homer Fanboy says:

Geoff, Telstra care about ONE THING and ONE THING only; the money in your pocket.

12. David says:

What about customers who purchase the Telstra Mobile Device Extended Warranty after July 1? I’m in that boat. [Also in the 200mb instead of 500mb data pack for $49 :( ]

13. You and Me says:

All handsets provided by Australian businesses are covered by a statutory warranty referred to in this statement from the above article: “there’s an expectation that the good bought lasts for a reasonable amount of time relevant to that product and reasonable use of it.”

While Telstra is stating that they are now negotiating two-year manufacturer’s warranties with their vendors, this is distinct from the statutory warranty that they are referring to.

in fact, deepending upon the cost, build and use of the handset, it may well exceed two years.

For instance, the iPhone 4 is a very high-quality object in terms of engineering. During the launch, Steve Jobs compared it to a Leica camera. This implies that the iPhone 4 could be expected to last for decades if kept in good condition. However, phones are used more casually and frequently than Leica cameras were/are.

There is no question that the build quality of the iPhone 4 exceeds that of all its rivals, even HTC by considerable degree. Thus Telstra would have a hard time denying free repair to an iPhone 4 in three years time.

Having said that, however, they are likely to resist assisting for free, and would likely require some debate, and complaint elevation. So you would have to be prepared to engage the TIO, ACCC and/or state fairtrading if necessary. This could mean spending $50 on a small claims court haering. I would suggest collecting copies of the iPhone 4 promotional material from Apple, as well as the video launch from YouTube to keep as evidence of the engineering expectations that a citizen could reasonably have of the iPhone 4.

From the material in circulation, and in context with an HTC manufacturer’s warranty period of two years, and the decade-scale of Leica, a three year statutory warranty for an iPhone 4 would be quite conservative even for frequent, daily use in a low-risk environment (non-war zone, non-building site). Less so for the battery, though.

14. Moose says:

Picking up from Jon Biddell’s post…the cynic in me finds it interesting to see Telstra trying to turn a situation where they’ve been forced by the ACCC to provide 24 months warranty into a marketing situation about Telstra looking out for the consumer….

15. David says:

Oh well… off to Telstra complaints for to try and get a refund for the extended warranty I paid for on July 2.

16. Matt says:

So is there an official release of when the iPhone4 extended warranty became part of the contract?

Also, is it resold AppleCare, or is it “Back-To-Telstra” kinda warranty?

Thanks Again,
    Matt

17. TonyR says:

Whats happening re 24 month warrenty for the other suppliers – eg Sony, Samsung etc etc

18. Ben says:

I dropped my phone recently and now I’ve got to pay out the nose to get it fixed, extended warrenty should cover it as we are paying more. I feel ripped off..

19. Trefor Jones says:

I will attempt once more to work this out.
    The telephone requires recharging every two days or less.
    The screen seems to be disintegrating.
    This model could be classed as a lemon according to my work’s social network page specifically on Samsung mobiles.
    Because I have no faith in this thing, I have purchased a prepaid Vodaphone as my main mobile until this gets sorted.
    Sending this piece of junk for assessment is a waste of time, and money, I would be better off putting my SIM card into the Vodaphone, my employer uses this number for texing my work roster, so I have to keep it switched on for now.
    You suggested contacting Samsung but what model is it E2510???, my contract is with TELSTRA, and just for fun try the Samsung webpage out yourself it is a jungle, made to frustrate complainants.
    Could you just supply me with a working telephone, so I can get on with life without having to slag off your product support service.
    An answer after 4 months of trying to resolve is that I damaged the screen therefore not covered by warranty, nothing about this could be a fault that seems to happen, to some Samsung.
    Advise from Telstra shop was to purchase a cheap from anther venue and insert sim card, looks like the only option.

1 year to go on contract then goodbye
    Trefor Jones.

• Brendan - [Your Community Manager] says:

Hi Trefor, If you’d like me to see if I can get you some help on this issue wth your phone please use this form to send me your account and a contact number. Brendan.

20. Trefor Jones says:

Sorry got too fustrated have replaced phone with a nokia, unchained. No problems. Will return the junk and contract in 16 months 4 days and 6 hrs when the 2 year contract is up.

21. Jon Biddell says:

There needs to be some clarification here.

As far as tbe ACCC is concerned, if you enter into a contract with for the provision of mobile telephone services AND a component of that contract is the provision of a handset (locked or not) then the warranty on said handset shall be equivalent to the length of the contract. Q.E.D

And that is completely independent of WHO the manufacturer is!

Your “Contract of Sale” is with , not the manufacturer. If
    you take a faulty handset back and are told to `contact the manufacturer`, then that is a direct breach of the Fair Trading Act.

Telcos will try it on as they will have to absorb the cost.

In fact, if you can prove that the product is faulty in its design or function within (and sometimes outside) the warranty period you are legally entitled to a replacement, repair or REFUND and that choice is yours, not

22. Sara says:

No. Your mobile phone is covered by the manufacturer’s 12 month warranty.

23. Suze says:

Does the HTC warranty cover accessories? Ta

24. Daniel says:

Sorry does this apply to Samsung phones? I wish to sign up with Telstra and get the Galaxy S2. Will this have a 1 year or 2 year warranty?

25. Diana says:

I have a Nokia N97 mini – I have already taken it in for repairs within the 1st 12 months – now Im in the 13th month of my contract – am I covered under warranty seeing as Im on a 24 month contract?
    I don’t feel like having a massive argument with the Telstra Shop worker so would appreciate any advice!

• Diana says:

to elaborate -I took it into Telstra once for repair, they claimed there was nothing wrong with it yet Im having massive problems with the phone now (more so than when I first took it in) and can’t see how it’s going to last another 11 months.

• Hi Diana, Bummer you’re having issues with your N97 mini. I’ll ask about the warranty for you.

26. Simon says:

I bought my Telstra Desire outright in Aug/Sep last year from JBHIFI, and now Im having heat issues (running really hot, terrible battery life even with new battery). Did I score a 24 month warranty when I bought outright?

27. Emily says:

I have had an HTC Desire since September 2010, which was part of a 24 month contract. For quite a while I have had issues. It seems to be that the phone gets hot (may be 1 minute, may be 5 minutes) and will reset. The reset consists of turning off and on, then vibrating 7 times and stalling so that I have to take the battery out. I generally have to wait until it cools down or it will do it again as soon as I turn the phone on. I returned it in August I think and it was sent away. The phone was cleaned and set to factory settings and then returned to me. It has still continued to do this and, in fact, has started to do it when I’m actually on a phone call. I went into the shop where I bought it and they insisted it was a 12 month contract, as did the Telstra helpline – both 125 111 and 1800 629 633.

I would think, that since my phone isn’t that old and they are supposed to have 24 month warranties that it would be replaced or at least repaired properly. I am very disappointed with Telstra. I switched from Optus because they stuffed me around (even after 10 years of being with them) and I expected that Telstra would actually be reasonable.

• Hi Emily, I’d like to see if I can help. I’ll need your account and a contact number. Please use this form or reply to the email I sent to you.

• Simon says:

Emily, i think this is a design flaw in the desire – runs hot, short battery life, random resets. It has to do with the CPU packaging, BGA (Ball Grid Array) soldering for the snapdragon. It happens to a quite a few models of phone.

I had mine fixed (new motherboard) 3 weeks ago and its doing it again. So its back to the shop, probably for another motherboard which will fail in a similar fashion……

28. cadeb says:

Same problem with my contract with my Desire , apart from billing problems too numerous to note here , it has had a problem with dust getting under the screen from day one , now with 6 months left on my contract it is very hard to see the bottom right hand corner due to the fine dust there..and you cannot get the screen off this model . I have tried numerous times via phone & in the Telstra shop to sort this out & to no avail..not covered apparently , even though I still get billed for the phone every month . And HTC tells me to go back to Telstra . Wild goose chase . Sooooooo easy to get signed up & sold the thing . But if a problem does occur , not so easy to get treated like a customer .

29. Tom says:

>>Stephen, I believe you’ll find this is not accurate. ANY phone, regardless of purchase date, if part of a 24 month contract MUST be warrantied for the life of the contract, whether purchased before July 2010 or not

How do we get the Telstra shop staff to deal with these issues?

30. David says:

i have a iphone 4 which is under 24 months contract, there is a problem with the home bottom, sometime needs to press really hard or just not working. i called telstra and they told me that the warranty for iphone is only 1 year! if part of a 24 month contract MUST be warrantied for the life of the contract, can i get this fix?

• Jon Biddell says:

You sure can – take it in to a Telstra store and be prepared for them to fight. Most stores are OK, but some of the dealers will try it on.

If you’re told to “take it to Apple”, that’s not on.

31. Noel can says:

Jon Biddell, where are you getting this info from? Do you know of any official website where this info written? Thanks

32. Andrew says:

“However, in addition to the voluntary manufacturer warranties, consumers also have statutory rights under the Trade Practices Act, so if you ever have a problem with your phone or data card you should not hesitate to contact Telstra. Irrespective of the manufacturer warranty, we are always keen to help sort out any issues you may have and get you up and running.”

hi Stephen
    I have a HTC desire that I purchased on 26 June 2010.
    This phone died last week, I took it to a telstra tlife store and they sent it for review. The phone was returned unfixed with a damaged circuit board. I tried to argue for my statutory warranty rights as the phone is still under a 24 month contract. Can you please advise who to talk too for this, as nobody I have spoken to at telstra even understands my rights.

33. Andrew says:

Hi Brendan

details sent to above contact
    thanks Andrew

• Brendan - [Your Community Manager] says:

Hi Andrew, I’ve just got on to the moderation. I’ve sent this on and you will get a call soon.

• Troy says:

Andrew/Brendan,

How did you get on with Telstra? Keen to know as I am in a very similar boat (HTC Desire, still under 24 month contract, but faulty, almost 24 months old).

Regards,

Troy.

34. David says:

hi Brendan
    i went to the telstra store, they told me that the new policy only for people whoever purchased phone after 1st of jan of 2011. is this ture?

35. Brett says:

Just to resurrect this thread, I’ve taken my faulty iPhone 4 back to the Telstra shop it was purchased from, on a 2 year contract which expires in Oct ’12, to ask that they repair or replace (faulty home button, and screen develops a yellow ‘smear’ when wifi/3g is used for more then 5 minutes) the phone under standard statutory warranty provisions as outlined by several posters above.

I was told to bugger off and that there is no such thing as implied / statutory warranty, and that if I wanted a phone to be covered for the length of the two year contract, I should have bought a different model.

Not real happy with Telstra’s Retail staff, they seem to have no idea of basic consumer protections.

36. Jon Biddell says:

This is, of course, complete ignorance on behalf of the Telstra shop staff (was it a Company shop or an “agency” ?).

refer them to the ACCC’s rulings on the subject, and refuse to leave the store until it is repaired or replaced.

37. Does the Telstra warranty cover accessories.