29 Jul 2010
By Rebekah O'Flaherty
Jul

Serving up more data you can use

blog-data-pricing-update-banner

The stars of MasterChef will be at the Telstra store in George Street Sydney tonight to plate up some very special data offers as iPhone 4 goes on sale.

We know our customers love accessing the mobile internet on the Next G network as much as they love a MasterChef cook-off. And, over the past couple of days you’ve told us that you’d like more data included to use with some of our hottest smartphones – including the iPhone 4.

So, from midnight tonight until November 1 we’re increasing data allowances on our most popular plans for some of our most popular smartphones.

Here’s what is available to customers purchasing the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, HTC Desire or Nokia N97 mini on the following plans from 30 July until 1 November 2010.

Telstra Plan Included data
$49 Consumer Next G Cap Plan 500MB (up from 200MB)
$79 Consumer Next G Cap Plan 1GB (up from 500MB)
$99 Consumer Next G Cap Plan 1GB (up from 500MB)
$129 Consumer Next G Cap Plan 6GB (up from 1GB)
$55 Ultimate II Plan 500MB (up from 200MB)
$85 Ultimate II Plan 1GB (up from 500MB)
$110 Ultimate II Plan 1GB (up from 500MB)
$150 Ultimate II Plan 6GB (up from 1GB)

Telstra revised data plansAs you can see, customers signing up to our plans can enjoy between two and six times the standard mobile data for the same price for the duration of their 24 month contract.

The special plans are being offered to customers connecting to Telstra for the first time, as well as existing customers who are re-contracting to these new smartphones.

We know customers want data they can use – rather than simply more data. That’s why we invested more than $2 billion dollars in the Next G network. So even with these increased data allowances our customers will continue to receive the speed and coverage you have come to expect from Telstra.

Revised data boosted plans for iPhone 4, iPhone 3G S until 1 November 2010

$49 Cap Plan $79 Cap Plan $99 Cap Plan
Monthly fee $49 $79 $99
Monthly Included Value* $400 $750 $1000
Data credit 500MB with our new bonus data offer^ (up from 200MB) 1 GB with our new bonus data offer^ (up from 500MB) 1 GB with our new bonus data offer^ (up from 500MB)
iPhone 3GS 8GB $0
upfront. Min cost $1176
$0 upfront.
Min cost $1896
$0 upfront.
Min cost $2376
iPhone 4 16GB $149
upfront. Min cost $1325
$0 upfront.
Min cost $1896
$0 upfront.
Min cost $2376
iPhone 4 32GB $299 upfront.
Min cost $1475
$199 upfront.
Min cost $2095
$0 upfront.
Min cost $2376

Further pricing details will be launched over the next couple of days.

Offer details

Offer available 30 July to 1 November unless extended by Telstra. Offer available to new or re-contracting customers who purchase an iPhone 3G S, iPhone 4, HTC Desire or Nokia N97 mini on a Next G™ Cap Plan or Ultimate II Plan ($55 or above) for 24 months. Offer not available on Business Plans. Offer only applies to data included on customer’s plan and to additional data purchased at time of connection. Unused data expires each month. Usage excludes content and international roaming charges. Bonus data allowance applies for the full term of the customer’s eligible contract plan. If the customer’s eligible contract plan is cancelled, the bonus offer will cease to apply.

*Included monthly value can be used for Standard National Voice, SMS and MMS calls to any Australian Network.

^Bonus data offer available 30 July-1 November 2010 unless extended by Telstra. Offer available to new or re-contracting customers who purchase an iPhone 3G S, iPhone 4, HTC Desire or Nokia N97 mini on a Next G™ Cap Plan or Ultimate II Plan ($55 or above) for 24 months. Offer not available on Business Plans. Offer only applies to data included on customer’s plan and to additional data purchased at time of connection. Unused data expires each month. Usage excludes content and international roaming charges. Bonus data allowance applies for the full term of the customer’s eligible contract plan. If the customer’s eligible contract plan is cancelled, the bonus offer will cease to apply.

1. John says:

I posted on 30 July that I had been unsucessful in getting an upgrade. Called again today and it wa no problem plan now 500Mb.

2. Julian says:

Spoke to a Telstra CSR today, who, after speaking to his manager informed me that the data upgrades will automatically take place over the next week for existing customers.

3. Peter says:

I was just on the phone asking for the 500Mb. Initially I was refused but after threatening to complain they agreed to upgrade me. Telstra is very inconsistent and needs to be more considerate of its faithful customers.

4. SAPaleAle says:

I will be going to Adelaide on the weekend will see if I can get data upgrade am still astonished by the inconstancy amongst telstra shops some will some won’t . Regardless of what happens this will be my last ever Telstra mobile. Cannot be with a company who treats loyal customers like second class citizens. At least I know where I really stand there is a good reason why Telstra customer service ( except for the twitter team) has such a poor reputation

5. Adrian says:

Thought I’d try my luck and call again… SUCCESS!! Not even any resistance from the bloke I spoke to, he did it straight away!

I am on the 79cap and I signed up back in May, so they aren’t doing it for those who are only recently signed up. He confirmed my data will now be 1gb and I am definitely not paying extra for it.

Happy customer again!

6. Jono says:

I had mine 49cap upgraded this afternoon – the bloke I spoke to said “normally it’s just for people who have signed up after, but I know it’s annoying, so I’ll see what I can do”. And five minutes later I was upgraded.

Now if only there was some mea culpa and a decision just to offer upgrades to everyone form Telstra, it’ll be good.

7. Matt says:

Another now very satisfied customer who was upgraded to 500mb without issue by a very friendly phone representative. Thanks for being flexible on this issue Telstra, way to go!

8. Peter Cupitt says:

Please Telstra Customer Service, May I have the upgrade to 1GB data limit from my current 500MB on the $79 cap plan for a HTC Desire purchased from you before the offer was made public.
    I am otherwise very happy so far with my Telstra “experience” and am not yet planning to go back to my old provider (I only changed for the Desire).
    I am offering a chance to impress a new customer and I can assure you, I would remain your happy customer.
    Does begging help?

9. Adrian says:

@ Peter Cupitt ^^

Call up Telstra on 125111. I am in the same boat as you, same phone and plan. I signed up early May just after the new plans were released.

The rep I spoke to on 125111 was only too happy to upgrade me, I didn’t even have to argue!

10. That Guy says:

Just called Telstra twice. Second time the chap sorted it out for me. Excellent service. Thanks Telstra!

Cheers,
    That Guy

11. Peter Cupitt says:

Thanks Adrian, I just tried and here is a new twist on the running discussion …….. The very pleasant and helpfull Rep told me I would need to Recontract which would bring Early Termination fees and make my billing very messy BUT he credited me $30 to represent 3 months worth of 500Mb extra data pack. He is not aware that the “New Offer” is part of the 2 year contract and therefore the data limits would be the sam efor the life of the contract (After the 2 years what happens???). Anyway, the “upshot of it” is I now have 1Gb per month available for 3 months.
    This is different to any other posts I have read on this site, but goes SOME way to improving customer satisfaction.
    I suggest the easiest way for Telstra to get around this whole issue is to OFFER a NO FEE Recontracting option for those of us who have purchased the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, HTC Desire or Nokia N97 mini (As per the New Offer). Everyone wins POTENTIALLY.

12. Brent D says:

What a crock.

Ring 125 111.
    Get told my phones are on the old plans– never even upgraded– maybe too close to knock off.

Then amazingly told however I am on 500mb data for both phones. However not one online or mobile data capture reflects this.

Perhaps because online billing is so non reflective of what it appears CSRs have access to and so many departments see different things then maybe it causes the problems.

Maybe the guy who designed “change my plan” for bigpond should design online billing- simple but informative.

Why write such sweet monologues expecting us to be suckered in, then when all the upset comments filter in go silent. Isn’t a blog meant to be a two way thing?

You don’t instill confidence in me by highlighting a show about a few fat chefs instead of getting our plans and accounts right.

13. Owen says:

I am currently standing IN a Telstra store posting this message, and they say they have no knowledge of this deal and I should order my phone from the Telstra website … yeah OK …

Is this kind of poor communication what I should expect from Telstra in the future if I sign up?

14. Jon Biddell says:

It’s not so much that Telstra is inconsistent, but that some of their XSRs aren’t the sharpest crayons in the box, and some of their “dealers” will try to screw you if they can get away with it.

Telstra has come a loooong way with customer service, but the CSRs all need to be on the same page, or at least able to refer the customer to someone who DOES know about these things.

Probably a glitch in the internal communication process – when in doubt, the guys who run Telstra’s @Telstra twitter account seem to know their stuff.

15. Owen says:

One of the Telstra managers who runs this site has actually e-mailed me in response to my comment, which is nice. Hopefully something positive can come of it.

16. Craig says:

Just a heads up to anyone buying from JB Hifi telstra dealers that the contract needs to confusingly stipulate a $59 monthly fee with $39.95 cap and a $20 data pack at 50% discount to resolve to the $49.95 offer including 500 meg.

I signed up at two different JB Hifi stores, the second phone was signed up with only a $10 data pack which means I only got a 200 meg plan even though the cover page on JB letterhead said $20 data pack – obviously, it’s what goes into the Telstra system that matters. The JB team member insisted I not worry that it only said 200 meg on the contract, that it would be updated accordingly.

Called up tonight to confirm the details were correct and the helpful call centre guy fixed it up for me, although he initially told me that he couldn’t guarantee he could fix it for me. Also despite me mentioning I had a bundle to both JB sales staff neither of them hooked the iPhone to my bundle so my first bill would have been $10 more per month each than necessary. Again, call centre guy fixed it for me. Will probably call again to confirm it’s all correct, just to be on the safe side.

17. krangsquared says:

Went to the 400 George St store and asked one of the staff what I could do to have more data (to have 1Gb per mo. instead of just 500 mb on the $49 cap). He said I would need to pay $20 more ON TOP of the $49. He told me the $49 cap only has 200 Mb and that the 300Mb extra is just a bonus. I think I’ll send him to this page next time I pass by that store.

So is this the correct breakdown? (based on Craig’s comment above)

$39.95 (with $400 worth of calls) + $19.50 (50% disc on the 1Gb data pack) = $59.45 per month

Or is it actually more like:

$49 + $10 (50%disc on the 500Mb data pack) – which is similar to what the staff was saying

I think the fact that the changes to the iphone plans came very late in the day resulted in information not being completely received or misunderstood, so this whole discount question still gets different answers depending on who you speak to. But a week after launch, I was hoping that these things would be clear to your staff by now.

18. Steve says:

The lady from Nth East Telsta centre rang this morning about my contract renewal and upgrade to iPhone 4. She mentioned the $49 Cap Plan but @ 200mb, nothing was mentioned about this now being 500mb. I’ll be directing her to this page when she rings back on Wednesday at 10am.