13 Jul 2010
By Ross Fielding
Jul

HTC Wildfire coming in August

htc-wildfire-telstra-android-banner

Today we’re excited to let you know about our newest HTC smartphone – the HTC Wildfire™. It arrives in August exclusively on Telstra’s Next G™ network.

HTC Desire Telstra Next GAndroid mobile phoneHTC Wildfire could be described as a mini version of the HTC Desire (a smartphone that’s currently enjoying huge popularity amongst our customers). It combines Desire’s great looks, a 3.2 touch screen and HTC’s Sense user interface. It’s 12mm shorter than the Desire but runs the same Google Android 2.1 operating system that’s winning a lot of fans at the moment.

HTC Wildfire Pure White Telstra Android mobile phoneWildfire features sleek brushed aluminium highlights and will be available in ‘Pure White’ or ‘Phantom Black’.

Pricing will be very sharp – it will be priced below HTC Desire. We hope this will allow even more customers to team an Android smartphone with the network that works better in more places, Telstra’s Next G network.

Expect the HTC Wildfire to include a host of little innovations too. For instance, there’s a neat feature that allows you to recommend an app you’ve found (it sends a message with a link to the app in the Android Market app store so that friends can check it out). Another little innovation is caller ID that displays a caller’s Facebook® status when they ring – as well as their name or number.

As you’d expect from an advanced Android smartphone, it provides one-touch access to Google™ services like YouTube and Gmail™ as well as Telstra apps like Mobile FOXTEL from Telstra.  And of course Wildfire’s easy-to-use menus can be filled with fun apps and games from the Android Market.

Rounding out the features list is a 5-megapixel camera with auto focus and LED flash plus a 3.5mm audio jack and micro SD card slot so that owners can take their favourite songs with them.

We will be announcing the in-store date and pricing in August. In the meantime, check out the video overview and let us know what you think.

HTC Wildfire video

More information:

1. Graham Mitchell says:

It sounds great but why are small phones always lumped with low resolution screens? I’m waiting for a pocketable phone with screen resolution as good as the big boys… This ain’t it…

2. Jak says:

Mainly just to put the cost down so that retailers can sell it at a reasonable price as the tech specs for these trimmed down phones couldn’t handle higher resolution screens without hurting seamless user interface.

3. TroyP says:

Any word on the Samsung Galaxy S coming to telstra and when? also what about the nexus one?

4. What about the Dell Streak, If Telstra don’t cough up ill be switching…

5. Anton says:

Yes, I’d love to know the release date of the Samsung Galaxy S on NextG.

6. Alpal says:

me too..about Galaxy 5

7. Mol says:

Can it upgrade to Android 2.2 in the future?

8. Paula says:

Yes I want one. I already have the HTC desire, if its have as good I’ll be more than happy however It’s now august but no one can tell me how much it will be, what plan it will be available on or when I can purchase one.

It doesn’t help the product or telstra when testra sales people say they have never herd of it. This has been the response I have had via a lot of phone calls and in person.

9. rebecca says:

hello it’s AUGUST! Where’s my phone?

10. john says:

When is this phone being released? It’s August already.

11. john says:

$29 month plan and no phone repayments?

12. Brendan O'Keefe [TEX Customer Engagement Manager] says:

Some exciting news for you HTC and Android fans. Telstra and HTC unleash the HTC Wildfire

13. Greg says:

Wait for the evo. Or just get the Desire. Very pleased with mine….

14. Cynical says:

Evo Looks too big even the iPhone and the Desire I find to big. This is for me!
    When are the Apps going to be able to be purchased. I desperately want to get rid of my iphone and get an Android phone.

15. This is a pretty reasonable offering for pre-paid customers, by far the best that Telstra have made to date, but the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini Pro would’ve been better (of course, there’s still the upcoming Sony Ericsson Xperia X8!).

16. Brenton says:

where the galaxy s?
    I thought it was coming this month
    if telstra arnt getting it soon I’ll be switching both mobiles to OPTUS!!

17. cc says:

Can’t believe Telstra offers Wild Fire for $49/mth with 200M data. Desire is $49/mth with 500M data!

I don’t see why anyone wants to buy Wild Fire instead of Desire for the same price?

18. pdf says:

Galaxy S please. Why the hold-up? I really don’t want to have to go to Optus.

19. Paula says:

Ok I have now waited until the release of the white wildfire by telstra(wich should be tomorrow) but none of the stores I have contacted have any or know anything about the white ones… the Staff are very unhelpful.

“Telstra Stores and Partners will offer HTC Wildfire in Phantom Black from 6 September on Pre-Paid, with Pure White to be made available from the 28th September.”