Telstra previews its first Android: HTC Desire
We’re pleased to welcome our first ever smartphone running the Google Android operating system to the Next G™ network.
At Barcelona we announced we were going to be the first in Australia to have the HTC Desire, running Android 2.1. While the phone won’t be available for sale until the end of this month, a few phones have arrived in the country.
Telstra and HTC came together to give journalists a briefing on the new phone and we had 10 phones on hand so those gathered could be the first to try the new phone.
For us, it means it is also an opportunity to launch our first Android apps, Mobile FOXTEL and Whereis Navigator – with White Pages and Yellow Pages coming. In addition to these, the handset also has enhanced HTC Sense user interface which makes its Australian debut on the HTC Desire. New Sense applications include a newsreader app and widget, an innovative seven-screen ‘helicopter’ thumbnail view for quick and easy access to specific screens, as well as a new widget called ‘HTC Friend Stream’ that seamlessly aggregates users’ social communication including Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr into one organised flow of updates.
In fact this social media widget is quite impressive and it really makes it quite simple for you to keep up with what your friends and family are up to.
If there is one other great feature to highlight about the HTC Desire, it is that you can completely customise the phone. This phone allows you to choose what design, apps and widgets you want or don’t want – there really are no restrictions here.
Availability and Pricing
HTC Desire will be available for $0 on Telstra’s $60 consumer Phone Plan for 24 months (minimum total price $1440), or can be purchased outright with a RRP of $779. Customers can also take the handset on a mobile repayment option (MRO) with an eligible plan and pay off the $779 over 12 or 24 months. It is available from Telstra stores and dealers from the 27 April.
Telstra Business customers can also purchase HTC Desire. It will be available on the $65 plan for 24 months (minimum total price $1560) which includes 300MB of data. HTC Desire will also be available on a range of Telstra Enterprise & Government plans from 27 April.
- The latest HTC Sense user experience
- Operates on Google’s new Android 2.1 operating system for smartphones
- Fast 1 GHz Snapdragon processor
- Integrated applications from Google including Gmail and Google Calendar
- Advanced 3.7 inch, WVGA AMOLED display with pinch-to-zoom capability
- 3.5 mm stereo audio jack
- HTC Friend Stream that seamlessly aggregates all of a customer’s social communication including Facebook®, Twitter, and Flickr into one organised flow of updates
- Automatically lowers the ringer volume when the phone is picked up
- Mutes the ringer when the phone is flipped face down
- Backs up certain data and settings to the microSD card automatically, such as SMS/MMS messages, bookmarks, Wi-Fi passwords, and more
What the tech media are saying following the HTC Desire preview: