09 Apr 2010
By Richard Fink
Apr

Telstra previews its first Android: HTC Desire

htc-desire-telstra-next-g-android
Update: This comprehensive review of the HTC Desire appeared in Fairfax online sites and I thought I might include a link here for your interest Read it here

We’re pleased to welcome our first ever smartphone running the Google Android operating system to the Next G™ network.

At Barcelona we announced we were going to be the first in Australia to have the HTC Desire, running Android 2.1. While the phone won’t be available for sale until the end of this  month, a few phones have arrived in the country.

TTelstra Next G new Android phone HTC Desireelstra and HTC came together to give journalists a briefing on the new phone and we had 10 phones on hand so those gathered could be the first to try the new phone.

For us, it means it is also an opportunity to launch our first Android apps, Mobile FOXTEL and Whereis Navigator – with White Pages and Yellow Pages coming. In addition to these, the handset also has enhanced HTC Sense user interface which makes its Australian debut on the HTC Desire. New Sense applications include a newsreader app and widget, an innovative seven-screen ‘helicopter’ thumbnail view for quick and easy access to specific screens, as well as a new widget called ‘HTC Friend Stream’ that seamlessly aggregates users’ social communication including Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr into one organised flow of updates.

In fact this social media widget is quite impressive and it really makes it quite simple for you to keep up with what your friends and family are up to.

If there is one other great feature to highlight about the HTC Desire, it is that you can completely customise the phone. This phone allows you to choose what design, apps and widgets you want or don’t want – there really are no restrictions here.

The HTC Desire will be available from 27 April 2010 and you can register your interest by visiting www.telstra.com/htcdesire

Availability and Pricing
HTC Desire will be available for $0 on Telstra’s $60 consumer Phone Plan for 24 months (minimum total price $1440), or can be purchased outright with a RRP of $779. Customers can also take the handset on a mobile repayment option (MRO) with an eligible plan and pay off the $779 over 12 or 24 months. It is available from Telstra stores and dealers from the 27 April.

Telstra Business customers can also purchase HTC Desire. It will be available on the $65 plan for 24 months (minimum total price $1560) which includes 300MB of data. HTC Desire will also be available on a range of Telstra Enterprise & Government plans from 27 April.

Key Features

• The latest HTC Sense user experience
  • Operates on Google’s new Android 2.1 operating system for smartphones
  • Fast 1 GHz Snapdragon processor
  • Integrated applications from Google including Gmail and Google Calendar
  • Advanced 3.7 inch, WVGA AMOLED display with pinch-to-zoom capability
  • 3.5 mm stereo audio jack
  • HTC Friend Stream that seamlessly aggregates all of a customer’s social communication including Facebook®, Twitter, and Flickr into one organised flow of updates
  • Automatically lowers the ringer volume when the phone is picked up
  • Mutes the ringer when the phone is flipped face down
  • Backs up certain data and settings to the microSD card automatically, such as SMS/MMS messages, bookmarks, Wi-Fi passwords, and more

What the tech media are saying following the HTC Desire preview:

1. Bronson says:

Awesome phone!

Shame about the pathetic amount of data on offer. What’s the point of having such a great phone dragged down by crappy data offerings?

2. Josiah says:

At last its nearly here, the HTC Desire, why do we have to wait until the end of the month for release of this beauty,it will enhance my knowledge skills of 84 years.
    I have been researching this mobile beauty for months and I know it will be the best of the Androids, I will be very happy to get it in my hands.

3. David says:

why such restrictive data plans on Australia’s fastest network? dumb.

looks nice, but dont really see it in iPhone’s league.
    wannabe

4. Sansom says:

Have to agree with the lack of data comment. The idea behind releasing a phone like this with great web browsing is to use it as a web browser while on the move.

5. Craig says:

Been waiting for Telstra to join the Android revolution…. a phone I will be purchasing..

Finding it frustrating that none of your Tlife/other stores have any information on this phone. And a few have actively told me that Telstra won’t be getting this phone as it is Android based.

I would suggest you may provide your stores with info at the same time you release it to the media/general public. Looks pretty terrible when the customer can tell the salesman more about a telstra product than they can.

Does anyone know when the pre-register contacts will be made? There are MANY people out on the web just waiting to get a hold of this phone.

6. Dean says:

Depends how much web surfing you’ll be doing whether you consider the monthly data allowance crappy. For me, using it for email and the occasional website, the 150mb package will be fine.

7. Christopher says:

I agree with Josiah. I have been wait for a viable alternative to the iPhone/Blackberry since their creation. There are many in my industry (also knowledge-based) who feel the same. Blackberry too awkward to use, iPhone too much of a toy (yes, it is still a toy). Android needed the learning curve of its 1.0 release to create the brilliance of 2.1, with HTC in charge of hardware the Desire is a mighty fine phone.

8. Seve says:

In the absence of any direct link to the author, I’ll post this question here in the hope he reads it, and I invite him to respond:

What justification do you have for offering such a tiny data allowance with a phone which has a large amount of data-intensive features? It doesn’t cost you more money to offer, say, 500MB for $10.

9. Nathan Lanchbury says:

Telstra, this is amazing . . . .

4 years ago, I was a dealer of your service. You always had out dated phones for sale, and were *always* the last provider to take on new handsets. The Telstra Rep I had at the time, always said there was a budget that had to be kept, and was the reason for slow take ons. Plus the crazy amount of testing required for your network.

I fell out of contract in December and after hearing about the Nexus One knew I had to wait until a Android Phone. Thinking I am stupid I will be waiting years . . . here it is . . . !

A phone that’s not only new, but a phone that’s new to the world. Well done guys!! Well Done!

This really will be the slowest month of my life waiting until the 27th. Please roll as many phones as to can get to all stores. I can not wait to get one of these.

10. John says:

I agree with the data related comments. This phone could well lure me back to Telstra but it’s hamstrung by the lack of afordable data plans.
    Fix that and I’m sold!

11. Dean says:

I have to agree with the lack of data allowance, and even included calls and text. This is why a lot of people are buying the phone from the UK and going with Optus or one of the other carriers.

12. Chris says:

It is disappointing to see the lack of data and expensive plans.
    Perhaps consider adding at $69 cap with X amount of value and 500mb+ of data for non-business users?

13. Sean says:

great phone.
    shame about telstras data pricing…
    if you were to get this phone, you would end up paying a few thousand $$$ more then you would on another carrier

14. Greg says:

Looks a great phone and is tempting me to move from my current carrier, BUT I am hesitant as this is a phone that screams out for data and as my current vendor provides much, more data at the same monthly price as Telstra, I may just keep on with them.

Telstra, why offer such great products and then hobble them by having such poor value data components for your consumer plans?

15. Henry says:

so excited about this! I have been waiting Nexus one for a while then I heard telstra will have it. One thing i don’t understand is on telstra’s website, iphone is even 150/month, correct me if i am wrong, why htc is on a 60 plan? btw, tesltra is exppppensive!

16. elfudzo says:

I also have to agree with the data comment. Telstra’s pricing/quota is definetly on the expensive/ripoff side, and the only option higher than those plans is the mobile broadband. I am also dismayed that Telstra is adding their own apps to the unit, mainly because on previous phones, the option to remove said apps (and in my 6120′s case, there is a nextg flash screen aswell) does not exist, and they will probably prohibit the removal of these apps on the Desire aswell.

17. Tim says:

Love the phone!

Like others have said – this could lure me back to Telstra if the data plans become more generous, otherwise I will happily wait three months for another provider.

Also, why not have some print material for salespeople to hand out to interested customers in the T[life] stores? At the moment, the average Android customer knows plenty about what is on offer (usually more than the salesperson in my experience), so surely it would be professional to use that interaction to your advantage – maybe even just a flyer with the link to pre-registration?

18. Andrew says:

Attention all Android fans!

Having read all the posts here, there is a common theme. You all want the \Desire\, but don’t like the stunted and expensive data plans. As one other person has posted, you should just get your Desire from the UK outright, and get a decent prepaid plan from a providor with some sense of decency. Here’s why:

1. Telstra will put annoying services on the phone that you will never use, and cannot remove.

2. They may clobber the ability to purchase apps from the market like Optus. (only enabling you to download the free apps)

3. You will end up getting majorly ripped off for the data usage on Telstra.

4. You never want a branded phone. It never works out for the better. E.g, my branded Vodaphone Magic doesn’t have the cool dialer provided by HTC. Bastards

5. Android and HTC moves so fast that within 12months you will be wishing your contract to be over so you can get the next best HTC Android device.

Don’t be a fool, either wait the 3 months, or buy it outright if you have the cash. I promise, you will no regret it.

19. Darren says:

Having compared the Nexus One to the HTC Desire – I am taking the Desire when it becomes available. BUT!!! with the amount of data provided on the plans at the moment the HTC Desire is going to be useless after the first couple of days/week as the excess data usage will be way too expensive for anyone to use any of the features of the phone.

I have been with Telstra for a long time now and their data packs are very pathetic. Telstra need to have a plan like the Optus $79 Cap with 1GB of data included – now that’s enough data for the month.

20. Brian says:

150Mb isn’t so much.

3 months isn’t so long.

Bye bye Telstra.

21. Michael says:

I’ll be getting two of these phones outright, putting my prepaid sim cards in and switching them to talk and text plans, then with the credit buying data packs.

Or putting a couple Telstra wireless broadband sims in them and use skype for calling. The amount of data on offer on Telstra plans is pathetic, there are ways around though as next g is essential where I live.

22. Andrew says:

I wonder if Telstra actually reads the comments from these blogs?

I have been with Telstra for years because they are reliably consistent; even if they are behind with offering decent phones and plans.

I have to admit my biggest issues (and the only ones I can think of) with Telstra is their small plans in comparison to other carriers and them being behind on supporting new phones.

I remember when the iphone came out and my contract was up for renewel, Telstra flat-out refused to support it; then a month later, after settling for a HTC Dual, they announced support for the iphone. ANNOYING!

As I said previously, Telstra is superior with their consistency and support of the phones that they have committed to (which I am thankful for, and happy to pay the current prices for); however I would be very appreciative, if they opened up their data plans.

• Brendan O'Keefe says:

Hi Andrew, Yes we do read every comment here on Telstra Exchange. I forward suggestions, complaints and positive feedback to numerous departments in Telstra.
      We do our best to respond to individuals via email or phone and sometimes we respond here in the comments. Thanks for your feedback, I’ve passed it on.
      Brendan [TEX Customer Engagement Manager]

23. Ashok Menon says:

Hi Brendan

Can you tell me if and when HTC Mini Hd will be launched in Australia?

Rgds

• Brendan O'Keefe [TEX Customer Engagement Manager] says:

Hi Ashok, Unfortunately we don’t pre-announce any of our devices. When we are ready to launch a new device we make an announcement and put up a post here on Telstra Exchange.

24. Dominic says:

Great phone Telstra, I am really excited about this coming out!

But, why do you have to cripple it with such a lousy data plan? The 300MB allowance takes it from a must buy for me to a maybe…
    If Telstra had a 1GB or more allowance, it would be a definite purchase, no question.

25. Il Nat says:

Hi. Does anyone know whether the HTC Desire when bought outright from Telstra (supposedly at AUD779) will still be preloaded/programmed with the Telstra brand and materials/software?

Thanks.

26. Graham Rawolle says:

Does the HTC Desire have a FM Radio? Hardware spec wise is appears to be exactly the same as the Nexus One and the Nexus One does not have a FM Radio app (although it apparently does have the hardware support).
    I won’t buy it without a FM Radio app.

27. Andrew says:

Brendan, thanks for the reply; it is good to see Telstra taking customer feedback from the blogs seriously. I have always liked Telstra’s support (especially the mobile phone department).

Are you able to shed some light on why the data package is so low, considering Android has primarily web-based applications?

Is there going to be any add-on packages available to increase the size of the data bandwidth, like an extra $10 for another 300mb?

28. Evan says:

Really appreciate the data telstra…it’s great having such a “fast and widely available” network that isn’t even included with this phones plan.

I really hope you didn’t lock all of your Telstra spam apps (whereis, foxtel, yellow pages, etc) so that we can’t even have control over our own phone.

29. Drew says:

Does anyone here know what size MicroSDHC card (if any) will come with the phone from Telstra ?

32GB Micro SDHC cards coming soon, but should I order a 16GB card now, so I can make the most of the media features of the phone as soon as I get it ?

30. William West says:

Hey guys, get over the data thing. I never thought I would be coming to Telstra’s defence, but it is a simple fact that Telstra charges more for data because it is a premium service. I, too, have been attracted in the past to other networks with big data allowances only to find my Iphone was rendered pretty much useless. That’s because internet access has been either painfully slow or non existent in many areas where Telstra signal is good. Telstra data is getting more affordable, particularly if you buy the phone outright and purchase data packs as you need them.

31. Andrew says:

William, I agree with you about the data service being good quality.

I am not sure about everyone else, but my concern with the amount of data package has to do with reports of average data usage for Android being about 600mb per month.

I would be happy to buy a HTC Desire from Telstra in a business plan if they have inexpensive add-on packages available to increase the data usage.

Brendan, I did have some issues with calling in about my account on 132200 today. The first time I called and was transferred to a representative, my call was answered with no-one on the other end; just background noise of a call centre. The second time I called and was transferred, my call dropped off to silence.

Is there any known issues with being transferred?

• Brendan O'Keefe [TEX Customer Engagement Manager] says:

Hi Andrew, Sorry to hear you had issues with 132200 today. I’ll forward this to our online support team and they should contact you via email or phone.

32. Claus von Hessberg says:

I’ve been loyal to Telstra for 20 years, for all most of my personal and several of my business’ needs, knowingly paying way above other carriers, sometimes for a staff or 30.

Whilst it’s true the Telstra signal & coverage is better, the times that makes a difference to the average urban user can’t possibly justify the many $100s extra per year.

Telstra’s pricing is awfully lacking creative plans to give customers more choices.

I’ll definitly get a HTC Desire
    But there’s no way I’ll stay with Telstra if they vandalise the HTC sense with some 2nd rate Telstra services pimp.

Really hope that’s just a rumor, (or that at least we’ll be given a choice to uninstall that), but if true I’ll it’ll be the straw that broke the camels back for me.

You can’t hold people to ransom, we don’t need Telstra to benefit from the excellent HTC & Google work.

Wonder if Telstra knows about HTC’s marketing slogan, HTC phones are all about ‘YOU’ the customer

I’d like to stay with Telstra.
    So I really hope to get my Desire the way HTC intended with a decent data plan
    otherwise……bye bye Telstra

33. Richard Fink says:

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your post.

Hope the following info will answer some of the questions/comments you (and other readers) have about the HTC Desire on the Next G™ network.

First, everything on the HTC Desire can be customised – including Telstra apps and services. That means if you don’t find our apps or services useful you can simply remove them from the home screens. It also comes with all of the standard Google and HTC features – which again can be customised by the owner.

Second, from day one Telstra customers will be able to access both free and paid-for apps from the Android Market.

Third, we will be selling the HTC Desire from Telstra stores and dealers from the 27 April at a really competitive price (RRP $779) when you consider the phone’s capabilities and price points of other handsets with similar capabilities.

It will be available on a range of 24-month plans to suit individual mobile preferences, including:

For $0 on our $60 Consumer Phone Plan (or $70 if you add a $10 browsing pack which provides 150MB of included data) for 24 months (minimum total cost of $1440);

For $0 on our $85 Ultimate Plan which includes 150MB of data.

Telstra Business customers will also be able to purchase the HTC Desire on a $65 plan for 24 months (minimum total cost of $1560) which includes 300MB of data.

We always recommend that our customers team their plans with the most appropriate browsing pack for their usage. More info here: http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/browsing_packs.html

Fourth, the HTC Desire available on Telstra’s Next G network has every feature available on the HTC Desire model available overseas. But, importantly, it also comes backed up with a local network of shops and dealers who can provide support to you if anything goes wrong with your phone. Also, the HTC Desire from Telstra is optimised to run on our Next G network. This includes enhancements to the network access component of the device to ensure the best possible data throughput speeds (think fast web browsing) and the best possible coverage performance (think more bars on your handset in more coverage areas).

Finally, I absolutely agree – technology (especially mobile technology) moves really quickly. The beauty of this device, perhaps more than any other currently in the market, is that it’s well placed to support upgrades. A 1GHz processor and Android Operating System (OS) mean you can buy this today with some confidence that it will support increasingly complex apps and upgrades to newer versions of the Android OS when they become available.

Regards,

Richard

34. Peter says:

I’m very impressed! Partly by the phone (which i have known about for a while), but more with you Richard. You have clearly conveyed so much relevant material in a timely manner – from 19th of Feb when you posted “Telstra to launch its first Android smartphone” to now. Such a breath of fresh air considering the average telco seems to love leaving customers in the dark.

Regards a general criticism you seem to be receiving about Testra’s “restrictive data plans”. Is it worth highlighting the wireless (LAN) capability and how easy it is for users to do a lions share of their “data” interaction that way? A comment targeted of course to “business” users. Gamers and multimedia customers – well – many of them would only be satisfied with unlimited!

35. Sanjay says:

Richard,

I am also very impressed with your response, from the initial posting of the article right up til now. I only have one major question about the phone: although you can buy it outright, will it be unlocked, or is there the usual $80 fee on top of it?

I often travel overseas, and having a mobile which I can use on any network around the world is a real plus for me. I am unwilling to commit to a contract, partly because I am against them, and also that my usage isn’t high enough to justify one, hence my wish to purchase the phone outright, unlocked.

36. John says:

Hi Richard and Brendan,

It’s fantastic to see you respond to the queries here. It just goes to show the level of service that Telstra provides.

But unfortunately the value of Telstra’s products doesn’t match the level of service. The HTC Desire is ideal for viewing rich internet content. Photos, facebook, youtube clips, etc. But to do that you need data.

When your major competitor announced their new Android phones recently, they brought out new “Social” plans so that their customers can take full advantage of having the net on their phones. They include generous data allowances with free access to social networking sites and youtube. Why can’t Telstra do something similar for the Desire?

To compare, I expect to use about $300 worth of calls, 300 SMS and 1GB of data. On Telstra this would cost me $144/month ($85 for the Ultimate call plan plus $59 for 1GB of data.) Or I could go elsewhere and pay $59/month in total. I’m certainly prepared to pay more for what Telstra is offering, after all it’s a better network with great service. But 2.5 times more puts it way out of my price range.

Finally, the browsing pack pricing structure that Richard linked to doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense. 150MB costs $10, yet to double the data to 300MB you triple the cost to $29? I’ll have 2 of the 150MB packs please ;)

I hope Telstra can improve the value of its products to match the level of service you provide.

John

37. Brendan O'Keefe [TEX Customer Engagement Manager] says:

Hi Sanjay, The the devices team tell me that the HTC Desire is not locked to the Next G network. However, important to note that on our model runs at 3G speeds on the 850Mhz and 2100Hhz bands. Next G Network runs on 850Mhz.
    Customers can also access 2G coverage on this model via the 900/1800/1900/850 MHz bands.

38. Luke says:

I’ve been tearing up the web for days now reading about this phone, and hope to get my hands on one through Telstra. Like at least one of the other posters I went into my local T-Life store here in Tas today but the staff didn’t have any real info on the phone and couldn’t help me pre-order one. Still I’ve registered my interest online and hope that’s basically the same as pre-ordering? But it’s pleasing to find all this info here and see the responses from the Telstra guys, looking forward to the 27th!

39. Andrew says:

Richard & Brendan, thanks for the responses, that points my concerns to rest.

I look forward to seeing one in action on the 27th.

40. Hi Brendan,

At this stage your post is the *only* Telstra statement I’ve found about UMTS 850MHz coverage. The Telstra Online Shop states that the HTC Deisre is “Recommended for handheld use in metropolitan and major regional areas” – this indicates to me UMTS 2100MHz coverage only.

Is there any actual confirmation that HTC is in fact rolling out a specific hardware revision that runs on the 850MHz network, since all documentation on the HTC site indicates UMTS 900/2100 coverage only.

If there is actual confirmation that this will run on the UMTS 850MHz band, then I’m interested in migrating my N95 handsets to the HTC Desire, bot if there is no such coverage, then I’m going backwards.

41. In a quick follow-up. After speaking with HTC, they too cannot actually confirm at this time that the Desire will use the UMTS 850MHz network.

42. Paul Grenfell says:

Nice Phone, but i would have to agree with others here, the Data is insignificant, in fact useless, unless you get a Data Pack.
    say $59 1gig. That makes it quite expensive.. Better to buy it outright and get data somewhere else.
    Anyhow, Please Telstra – DONT MUCK WITH IT.!! Leave the defaults as they are and dont plaster it with Telstra Garbage that cant be removed..Whos paying for the thing?

43. Simon says:

Like Luke, I too went to the local (franchise) shop and the staff knew nothing about the phone, its release or whether they will have stock for the Apr 27 release; one staff member even informed me that ” …oh, we will probably be told about as they are wheeled into the shop”, whereas the JB Hifi in the same shopping centre were far more knowledgeable.

I have registered and cannot wait. Though, I queried the virtues of the ultimate plan and the $79 cap plan (with the $10 browsing pack) and I’m not sure which is the better option.

44. Anton says:

As an importer of Android phones to the Telstra network, I would like to clarify things that the lads are not openly admitting:

“That means if you don’t find our apps or services useful you can simply remove them from the home screens.”

Removing from your home screen is not the same as removing from the phone – many custom builds of Android are clogged with network applications that can not be removed, and fill up the phone’s storage space. The choice of words here suggests the same will apply on the Telstra build. That said, if you’re using a network’s build, you’re limited to having updates when they supply them, so conventional wisdom is to install the developer’s version which isn’t full of bloatware, and can be updated at your leisure.

150 megs will not go very far. These phones are designed to sit online all day, pulling and pushing data whenever they feel like it. Unlike other phones the Android is a web-phone, it doesn’t rely on a computer ever. That means that your system updates are over the air, for the G1, these weigh in at roughly 46megs, which blows through a large chunk of your quota, especially if the download fails part of the way through. This year we’re likely to see music move to the cloud, which means on any plan that is remotely affordable, you’re going to be able to listen to 30 songs or so before you’re being charged like a wounded bull. Telstra’s data plans are not in any way realistic. Using my G1 primarily as a SSH terminal I still bump against the 150 meg limit.

“Third, we will be selling the HTC Desire from Telstra stores and dealers from the 27 April at a really competitive price (RRP $779)”

It’s worth noting that the Nexus One (pretty much the same device) costs around $650 AU to ship from the US, the AT&T version will work on NextG networks – you won’t have to mess around with it to get rid of the aforementioned bloatware either. This price is only competitive because all the other prices are so grossly inflated.

45. Claus von Hessberg says:

Hi Brendan & Richard,

Can you actually confirm that the Telstra distributed HTC Desire can use the NextG network and its higher speed & coverage ?

As some of the others pointed out that would suggest a difference in the hardware or operating system from non Telstra models ? Is that really so ?

Also would like to read your response to Anton’s post earlier today, suggesting the Telstra ‘bloatware’ would be hard to get rid off ?

Besides the tiny/expensive data plans available, the risk of being stuck with Telstra ‘bloatware’ would seems the biggest deal breaker for a few of us here

What if I just got myself an unlocked HTC Desire right now and used my current Telstra NextG sim card in it ?

Telstra would still get my business (if a decent data plan becomes available) if that’s what it takes for me to get the unmodified phone I want with Telstra’s NextG speed & coverage.

Can you please let us know if that’s a way we can have our cake & eat it or if not please let us know which part won’t work & why

Cheers

46. Claus von Hessberg says:

Hi Brendan & Richard

Thanks for the 850MHz / NextG answer
    That’s good news

From my own enquiries, apparently 27th April some independent suppliers will also be selling unlocked 850MHz compatible HTC Desire

Though they said theirs would also have some Telstra bloatware pre-installed on them.
    They couldn’t confirm if identical to a Telstra issued Desire or less, but appears like the NextG compatibility is tied to the Telstra services pimps bloatware

No disrespect to Telstra, I’m sure these services will work for a lot of people, but I personally found them anoying, slow and expensive on previous Telstra mobiles I’ve had.

Given the NextG answer I’d be happy to stay with Telstra if I can have a clean phone the way HTC & Google intended it.

Can your mobile product team give us a clear idea what Telstra will pre-install and whether we can un-install all such software or re-install the operating system from scratch without loosing the 850MHz compatability.

Cheers

47. John says:

I have read thru the comments left on here and although I would also like to see Telstra get a better download plan, I havent been able to find out whether or not the apps that are added by telstra are removeable or not. As Android currently doesnt allow apps to be stored on external storage I would like to be able to remove apps I dont need to ensure i dont run out of internal storage space.

Any response on this would be great.

John

48. Anton says:

@Claus there is no magic software required for NextG it’s just a hardware requirement – any phone that can run at 850mhz will run on next-g networks (you may have to add an APN, but Whirlpool will set you right there).

As for the pre-installed software, there’s next to no reason to have it installed, nothing Sensis offers comes remotely close to competing with Google’s applications, I don’t know why Telstra would want to dupe users into a substandard package.

49. Sanjay says:

Brendan,

I agree with Claus. I’ve been with Telstra for years, as has the rest of my family, but not once have I ever used the Telstra Foxtel service, nor the Bigpond Page, as I prefer to use WiFi to do it.
    However, many of my friends who are on Telstra use these nearly every day, and swear by them.

These service are great for those who use them, but useless and annoying for those like me who don’t have the need to desire to use them.

Is there any way to actually uninstall them from the phone, or will we only be able to remove them from the homepage?

Thanks